Increased appetite on Prednisone?

Options
I just started a new Rx today for a high dose of Prednisone, and I see that one of the side effects is increased appetite, which has me a little concerned! If you've been on this med, what's your experience been?

Replies

• naceto
    naceto Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    My appetite goes crazy on Prednisone! Mostly I crave snack food when taking stuff like that... if you are like me and fill up easily on the fruits and veggies for snacks, but still crave the snacking "activity", unsalted pumpkin or sunflower seeds helps me out. If I do one at a time (and still make sure to measure out how much I am eating overall) it makes it a reasonable snack.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    a low carb diet greatly reduces your appetite, maybe you could counter the prednisone effects by entering ketosis?
  • propskat
    propskat Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Definitely!
    Drink lots of water, that helps, and spread out meals throughout the day, like 6-8. Then you can at least tell yourself, "I'm not that hungry, I can wait for meal #___ in one more hour".
  • frankranieri16
    frankranieri16 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    In short, Prednisone triggers blood to release glucose which increases the amount of insulin in your body which increases appetite! Increase fluid intake!

-PharmD
  • babyblooeyes
    babyblooeyes Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    You also can't lose weight while on pred. So don't try eating less than usual as it will not help. Take your meds and stay off the scale for at least 2 weeks.

Theresa
  • cjvidito
    cjvidito Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I gained a ton of weight on Prednisone. I was on a very high dose of it though. It definitely does increase your appetite , I had gained about 75lb by the time I found out it was the Prednisone. I have been on a much lower dose once more a couple years ago and being aware that it increases your appetite helped and also plan every meal and snack too.
  • EmilyTwist1
    EmilyTwist1 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Prednisone definitely increase my appetite. There was one week where I ate about 3500 to 4000 calories every day (note, I've been trying to gain weight, so this wasn't a huge concern for me, but I can see how it would be for someone trying to lose weight). I was so hungry that when I got home from class (around 3 pm) I'd do almost nothing but eat until I went to bed (1 to 2 am).
  • tornadoladi
    tornadoladi Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have been on prednisone for 2 1/2 years now and most likely the rest of my life. I started off at 60mg and yes i gained some weight but it wasn't the only reason i did i was so sick then they didn't know if i would make it, wasn't exercising or moving much it hurt way to much to do either and ate junk.

But i am still on prednisone and LOSING WEIGHT!!!!!!! It can be done its just a matter of if you want to or not, it takes great determination to beat the prednisones side effects, and i am not going to let it control me, it can help where its supposed to but i will control ME..
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I just started a new Rx today for a high dose of Prednisone, and I see that one of the side effects is increased appetite, which has me a little concerned! If you've been on this med, what's your experience been?

I wouldn't take it unless absolutely, positively necessary or trying something natural instead.
    my son was on it and ended up with stomach issues, weight gain, anxiety and moon-face.
  • heatherfit1
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all the info!!! So far my appetite hasn't been too crazy, although it's only been 24 hours. My Rx is only for 10 days, so I'm hopeful I can tough it out and at least maintain my weight loss during that time.
  • aspexil
    aspexil Posts: 2
    Options
    Get the book "Wheat Belly". I've been off wheat/grains for 1 year and lost 14" off my waist. I'm still fighting prednisone appetite stimulation but at least I'm not consuming bad carbs which spikes blood sugar which is how we gain weight. http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2012/12/wheat-belly-quick-dirty-2/
  • Trying2Recover
    Options
    I went from 154lbs ish to 216lbs within 4 months on it. awful awful drug but it can also be an absolute god send.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I've taken small bouts of it for intractable migraine, and by the end of the time I really am usually crazy for junk food. I ordered two meals and multiple desserts in the drive thru! I was so hungry and fast food sounded soooo good. That's not like me, lol.

But it didn't happen till I was on it a little while and didn't last at all once I was off the steroid pack. Good luck!

Oh, I also got pretty b#tchy and irritable in spells by the end :( Watch out for that, because folks really aren't being that irritating; it's like PMS that way if you get that side effect. It's not them, it's you, really! :D:D
  • winterportrose
    winterportrose Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been on prednisone for about a year. I LOVE the way it makes me feel, I can get up and move around more- but the weight gain and voracious appetite and loss of metabolism - sheesh!! Once I start eating, I feel absolutely famished! I take it for RA, and for a serious back problem, sadly the surgery is far too likely to paralyzed or dead! ( I paraphrase!). My exercise in the past year is also affected- I was hiking 4-7 miles a day and now, without the prednisone, I can't walk from the bedroom to the kitchen without stopping. Sorry for the rant! I am trying to control the eating, and am starting a water workout soon- not thrilled about that! My husband says that I am moving around and easier than I have in months- it took him mentioning it for me to realize it was true, so there is hope! Has anyone else had a problem with their immune system? I went to Oklahoma for 8 weeks at CHristmas to visit daughter and Grands and was sick about 6 of those weeks, I seemed to catch everything that went by! AND I had a flu shot and pneumonia shot before I left! I'm thinking about wearing a face mask when I go out in public.
  • BeChill73
    BeChill73 Posts: 75 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Ugh... prednisone + me = rage eating! Gained 10kgs in about 14 days, mostly fluid retention but I looked so puffy! I have been on it off and on for years for asthma, but usually only short courses. I have MS, but haven't been on steroids for that yet.
  • dietstokes
    dietstokes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I've been on it a few times for my lungs getting really bad. Even with watching food intake and water, I gained (i was on a very high amount with a relatively quick tapper so that may have something to do with it). I would retain so much fluid on it, I couldn't bend my fingers. And I started to hallucinate (which is also a side effect...luckily I knew I was). Once you start to hallucinate, you cant go on it anymore. Luckily, I have not needed it in a few years now. not sure what I would do if I needed it again. If you are only on it for 10 days, try to stay in your calories, drink your fluids, and stay away from the scale for the next month (I hold fluid and inflammation for a long time....I just got an infection in my jaw limiting what I could eat for 2 weeks....gained 6 pounds)
  • chief3202
    chief3202 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have been on this drug sporadicaly for almost a year for planters faciitias and boy did it increase my appetite and weight from 253 to 303lbs within 8 months. It really did relieve the inflammation but it also made my face chubby looking like a chipmunk. Lol
  • Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Prednisone absolutely will do that. My transplant clinic has me losing weight now because post-transplant I will probably be on prednisone for at least six months, and there will be weight gain, and they want to make sure I don't have any complications from that.
  • lilbird430
    lilbird430 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was on it for ten days. I got extremely hungry toward the last few doses. It made me retain 4-5 lbs of water for two weeks after i took it. It takes 3500 calories to gain a lb. On that stuff you can eat that many calories at one time and still be starving. It made me crave salty and sweet foods like pms. My advice is to eat normal, count calories, and go to bed as early as possible. My extreme hunger hit in the evening. I've got two littles so going to bed early wasn't an option but it could have saved me from binging at the end of the day. Drink cold water, eat pickles, and get some sugar free chocolates/desserts you like. Its a tricky way to still get sweet and salty but not kill a diet. Get all junk food out of the house. There is next to no willpower on that stuff. Hate that drug.