Protein Powder for Women

Options

Replies

• ShellyLee
    ShellyLee Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I like optimum nutrition 100 % whey protein. One serving is 120 calories and 24 grams of protein. It's the lowest calorie per gram of protein powder I've been able to find. Protein is a good idea and it won't make you bulky.

I haven't personally gotten to the point where I use the protein powder yet, but a marathon runner friend of mine also suggest this brand to me when I asked about it. He said it also tasted the best of those ones he had tried.
  • heather62803
    heather62803 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    bump...
  • jlprovost
    jlprovost Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for all the input! I'm sure there is a protein powder for me in that monster list!
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    What do you mean, specifically for women?

I mean a protein shake that doesn't have over 3,000 calories in one glass full. Something that is more in tune with helping women tone up but not bulk up.

You won't bulk up...women don't have the right hormones to bulk up without REALLY trying and taking a lot of supplements.

I have been using Body Fortress whey protein from Walmart, but my trainer cautioned me on using the cheaper ones because some of them were found to have lead, arsenic, and other poisonous type things in them. She recommended the NOW whey or soy protein. She also carries the Spirutein that someone else mentioned - it's made from spirulina which is one of the best forms of natural protein on the planet!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I can't think of any protein powders that have 3000 calories. Maybe the mass gainers do. Most brands of whey protein have about 120-150 calories per scoop. Mix it with milk and you'll add a few more calories - use water instead if you want less calories, but it doesn't taste as good. There's no such thing as male/female protein. Just a marketing gimmick to make you pay more for a pretty pink jug. I use Optimum Nutrition brand whey protein. Women can't bulk up without steroids...it's a myth.

My hopes and dreams...are dashed....

Really I see no point in whey post WO. Sure you get a big AA and insulin spike, but it drops below baseline within about 30 minutes. Casein doesn't peak quite as high, but levels stay elevated above baseline for over an hour. You can drink milk, which has both, with some sugar if you want to spike your insulin a bit. And that's pretty much chocolate milk, which is WAY less expensive.
  • Athena413
    Options
    I use "Body Fortress Super Whey Protein". It has specific directions on it for either bulking up or just trying to be lean. Also men vs women and how much to use. It gives you suggestions on what to mix with depending on what you want your outcome to be.

One scoop is 240 calories and then you figure what you are mixing with.

I have mixed the powder (have strawberry right now) with either water or 0% milk. To me it tastes kinda like a strawberry milk with water or strawberry shake with milk.

Hope this helps.

I must have a different kind than you, because mine only has 140 calories per scoop.

Try using almond milk instead of water or regular milk. It tastes better/has a better texture than water but only has 35 calories per cup.
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Most protein powders are 100-150 calories per serving and are suitable for men or women. You might have to try a couple to see which one that you prefer, tastewise. There are several different kinds of protein supplements, including whey, soy, and casein. Whey is digested very quickly into your bloodstream, which makes it great for after workouts. Casein takes the longest to digest, which makes it a good before bed snack if you're trying to build muscle, and soy falls in between the two. There are other kinds of protein such as hemp and egg albumin, but whey, soy and casein are probably the easiest to find. Just make sure that you're not buying a mass gainer type supplement, which has a bunch of sugar and chemicals added to it and can contain over 1000 calories per serving!
  • mcshaw10
    mcshaw10 Posts: 11
    Options
    A protein powder is a good way to supplement your protein intake if you are otherwise having a hard time getting enough in without all the added calories of other sources.
    I recommend whey protein. The one I have come to like the most and that I currently use multiple times a day is Dymatize Iso-100 Whey Protein Isolate. The Gourmet Vanilla Flavor is delicious. It is not a meal replacement so it doesn't have a bunch of other stuff added to it. In 1 serving (1 scoop) there are 25g pure protein, 106 calories. No fat, carbs, or sugar. It mixes well with anything you want to add to it.
    I use it in a smoothie at breakfast, and as a recovery drink after I workout. Love it!

-Mary, BS, Certified Personal Trainer
  • Athena413
    Options

I mean a protein shake that doesn't have over 3,000 calories in one glass full. Something that is more in tune with helping women tone up but not bulk up.

Ohhhhhh.....Sorry, can't help you. I am pretty bulky. :tongue:

I don't think you look bulky...I think you look lean - which is great!
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

Ohhhhhh.....Sorry, can't help you. I am pretty bulky. :tongue:

I don't think you look bulky...I think you look lean - which is great!

Thanks! ^_^ I just can't stand the bulky woman stereotype. ...Lifting heavy-*kitten* weight and drinking whey protein is NOT going to make you look like a man...
  • pierce472
    pierce472 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm a member at BJ's (instead of Costco) and they have EAS - 100% Whey Protein Powder in either Vanilla or Chocolate in a 5lb bag for only $27. It's half the cost of what you'll pay for other whey protiens at GNC or Vitamin stores, which can run around $50. It's also 130 calories per heaping scoop and provides 23g of protein. Stick with with a well respected company (EAS and the like) and make sure it's 100% whey. It tastes okay in water for my post workout protein shake but I really enjoy it in a glass of milk. Good luck!
  • jlprovost
    jlprovost Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    A protein powder is a good way to supplement your protein intake if you are otherwise having a hard time getting enough in without all the added calories of other sources.
    I recommend whey protein. The one I have come to like the most and that I currently use multiple times a day is Dymatize Iso-100 Whey Protein Isolate. The Gourmet Vanilla Flavor is delicious. It is not a meal replacement so it doesn't have a bunch of other stuff added to it. In 1 serving (1 scoop) there are 25g pure protein, 106 calories. No fat, carbs, or sugar. It mixes well with anything you want to add to it.
    I use it in a smoothie at breakfast, and as a recovery drink after I workout. Love it!

-Mary, BS, Certified Personal Trainer

Thank you! That was a very helpful post!
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I can't think of any protein powders that have 3000 calories. Maybe the mass gainers do. Most brands of whey protein have about 120-150 calories per scoop. Mix it with milk and you'll add a few more calories - use water instead if you want less calories, but it doesn't taste as good. There's no such thing as male/female protein. Just a marketing gimmick to make you pay more for a pretty pink jug. I use Optimum Nutrition brand whey protein. Women can't bulk up without steroids...it's a myth.

Really I see no point in whey post WO. Sure you get a big AA and insulin spike, but it drops below baseline within about 30 minutes. Casein doesn't peak quite as high, but levels stay elevated above baseline for over an hour. You can drink milk, which has both, with some sugar if you want to spike your insulin a bit. And that's pretty much chocolate milk, which is WAY less expensive.

Except I am lactose intolerant, and the milk would wreak havoc on my stomach! :sad:
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

Except I am lactose intolerant, and the milk would wreak havoc on my stomach! :sad:

Me too! I just get lactose free milk. :)
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I love the chocolate whey from Champion Nutrition it has 23gm of protein and only 130 cals and it tastes like a chocolate smoothie. It comes in other flavors I wouldn't recommend the cocoa-mochaccino it wasn't very good. I get it from Bodybuilder.com they have great prices.
  • kristinkt
    kristinkt Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options

Protein shakes, IDK. But Luna bars are nutrition bars designed for women, and they do have a protein line, you might look at those next time your at the grocery store.
  • wannabeinshapeSandie
    Options
    I LOVE the Costco Protein powder, it comes in a large bag and they have it in chocolate and vanilla. My daughter had the lap band surgery and her doctor wanted her to use it as her meal replacement. it is really good. I unfortunately don't have the name or the information from the side of the package because i pour it into a glass jar that sits on my counter for easy quick use. I believe it is on the costco.com website.
  • laurad8911
    laurad8911 Posts: 99
    Options
    trader joe's soy protein powder, 110 calories and 20 grams of protein. doesnt taste too good alone, btu i blend it with a banana, almond milk, and some unsweetened cocoa powder and its awesome.
  • wannabeinshapeSandie
    Options
    This is the protein powder on the costco.com website that is so great!

Betty Lou’s Whey Protein is packed with vitamins and minerals, including the beneficial trace sea minerals. This protein powder also contains digestive enzymes, a probiotic blend, and 20 grams of whey protein per serving. It has a low Glycemic Index, which promotes weight loss and other health benefits. Chocolate Protein is perfect when you crave something chocolaty, silky smooth, refreshing and great tasting.

Includes:

Chocolate Flavored Whey Protein
    2 Containers – 22.75 oz. each
    30 Total Servings

Features:

Gluten Free
    Lactose Free
    Sugar Free
    Soy and Hormone Free
    No Preservatives
    No Trans Fat
    Non-GMO