Part time vegan?

Options
2»

Replies

• kzooyogi
    kzooyogi Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the plant-based world! I think you'll like it here. Bloating is very common on a plant-based diet as you're likely eating much more fiber than you had been previously. There are lots of vegan probiotics you can take as a supplement to help to combat this (I take Rainbow Light ProbioActive that I get on Amazon). You could also try kombucha for a healthy dose of good belly bacteria.

As far as your hair - my hair and nails started growing like weeds when I went vegan :)
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    annacole94 wrote: »
    I wouldn't criticize her for being a "part time vegan". I considered it - there's a book by Mark Bittman called "VB6" about being a vegan until dinner, and then eating what you want. He lost 40+lb doing it, and found it to be a simple way to create rules that helped him eat more plants and less calories for most of the day and then eat delicious things he loved for dinner.

But that's not vegan. Eating vegetables only before 6pm is just eating vegetables only before 6pm. A kind of form of intermittent fasting/using very few calories before dinner.
    Well, according to you. According to him, who literally wrote "the book" on the subject, an effective way to communicate his eating style is to say he eats vegan before 6 pm. And that's not "vegetables only". So your words are not an effective way to communicate that eating style.

So because he wrote a book saying he's a part-time vegan that means it's now definitely a thing? Anyone can write a book about anything at all, doesn't make it fact. I simplified by saying vegetables but the fact remains he does eat animals and animal products every day. Just because he limits that to his evening meal doesn't make him a part-time vegan. Anyone eating animals and animal products at any time is an omnivore. There are a lot of people, myself included, who may eat vegetarian meals often and for whole days, that doesn't make me a part-time vegetarian.

I had no idea that the Food Police were so vigilant!
  • Drueru
    Drueru Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I've been vegan for 7ish years now and I don't have gas ha ha.. But my boyfriend eats meat and is always farting! Really smelly too..... Now THAT is tmi... XD
  • SkyFerret
    SkyFerret Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't criticize her for being a "part time vegan". I considered it - there's a book by Mark Bittman called "VB6" about being a vegan until dinner, and then eating what you want. He lost 40+lb doing it, and found it to be a simple way to create rules that helped him eat more plants and less calories for most of the day and then eat delicious things he loved for dinner.

This is actually a really good idea. I'm trying to cut back on my animal products and have found that I have more energy during the day if I include more vegan foods as the animal foods seem to make me sleepier. Unfortunately, full-time veganism is heavily medically contraindicated for me, so I have to find a good balance between the two.
  • Cat3141
    Cat3141 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    As others have said, the bloated feeling is probably caused by increased fiber, and your body will adapt.

If you want solid, research based information on how to eat a healthy vegan diet, I strongly recommend Vegan for Life by Norris and Messina. Both authors are registered dietitians, and long-time vegans. They offer an attainable and sustainable vision of a vegan diet. They do not set up the false dichotomy of being either a "junk food" vegan or being on a whole foods plant based diet. There is a middle ground, and that middle grown is probably far healthier mentally and physically than orthorexia inducing diets. Norris and Messina also avoid making unsubstantiated or overblown claims about the health benefits of vegan diets.
  • SkyFerret
    SkyFerret Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Also, congratulations to the OP on your new dietary change! I hope that your positive changes continue (aside from the bloating, and don't worry, that will pass)!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    izzie218 wrote: »
    I recently (last 2-3 weeks) have started having way less animal products. I've noticed that my hair is becoming thicker at a fast rate and my skin is glowing and less dry. This lifestyle change is messing with my digestive system though. Being an active teen, I'm not sure if this is healthy long term. Advice anyone?

I'm not vegan or vegetarian but eat meatless meals often. When I wanted to do that more I made a list of all the meatless meals I already enjoyed. I really don't like tofu but I learned to cook dry beans and lentils and different kinds of vegetables.

Make sure you are eating a variety of foods and getting enough protein. Keep a food diary as you change your diet to make sure you are getting enough calories and nutrients. https://www.vrg.org/nutrition/teennutrition.htm
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I can see how "I follow a vegan diet before 6pm for my health" would constitute effective communication, and if anyone wants to say that, then sure. Go ahead.

But if you're categorising it, it would be a subset of "low meat way of eating", like Meat-Free Mondays. TBH, I'm all for people lowering meat consumption so thumbs up to him on that.

That said, I can't believe that anyone eating meat after six is going to be that rigorous about 100% vegan meals before 6PM. Yeah right, he's scrupulously avoiding whey powder, cochineal or honey at breakfast, lunch and snack time every day. :D Make that 'follows a vegetarian diet before six'!

@donsred There is a difference in health outcomes between people who mostly eat processed food and people who eat plenty of fruit and veg? :o Say it ain't so.

• annacole94
    Options

But that's not vegan. Eating vegetables only before 6pm is just eating vegetables only before 6pm. A kind of form of intermittent fasting/using very few calories before dinner.
    Well, according to you. According to him, who literally wrote "the book" on the subject, an effective way to communicate his eating style is to say he eats vegan before 6 pm. And that's not "vegetables only". So your words are not an effective way to communicate that eating style.

So because he wrote a book saying he's a part-time vegan that means it's now definitely a thing? Anyone can write a book about anything at all, doesn't make it fact. I simplified by saying vegetables but the fact remains he does eat animals and animal products every day. Just because he limits that to his evening meal doesn't make him a part-time vegan. Anyone eating animals and animal products at any time is an omnivore. There are a lot of people, myself included, who may eat vegetarian meals often and for whole days, that doesn't make me a part-time vegetarian.

I had no idea that the Food Police were so vigilant!

Just think it's odd as vegans are ethically against animal products but if you limit them until after 6pm somehow it's magically OK to eat animal products?
    Oh, all vegans have the same ethical perspective? If it's religion, then by all means, defend the term.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    Options
    Oh good grief. Have you never met a real life vegan before, @annacole94? Or are you just spoiling for a proper fight on t'internet before the weekend? It's a hobby I suppose. Have you considered karate?

How about we dispense with the preliminaries and I just direct you here: https://www.vegansociety.com/about-us/history

• annacole94
    Options
    Yes, I know real live vegans. They are people who consume no animal products. They come over and eat at my house sometimes. Their kids eat pulled pork like they've discovered the promised land.

It's just words, is my point. There's no need to shame a teen for expressing her diet perfectly clearly.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    Options
    At this point, we're not shaming a teen. We're poking fun at a guy who wrote a diet book. Very different kettle of fish.

Nice jibe at the kids of vegans though. Very artful. :D
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Yes, I know real live vegans. They are people who consume no animal products. They come over and eat at my house sometimes. Their kids eat pulled pork like they've discovered the promised land.

It's just words, is my point. There's no need to shame a teen for expressing her diet perfectly clearly.

It's more than not consuming animal products. It's not using anything that may be produced at the expense of an animals welfare or life. It's not just a dietary choice. Is there a modern fad for going vegan without understanding that? Sure. But to call yourself vegan in any context when you both eat and use animal products and byproducts is just ridiculous and pointless (and undoubtedly a cynical marketing ploy to sell books).

An no, I'm not vegan, I have no axe to grind there.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    A few people have mentioned soy as a protein source for a vegan diet. I would suggest a bit of caution on making soy a major part of a vegan or vegetarian diet, especially for women. There are both fans and critics of eating eating soy and soy based products. Many people believe it is greatly beneficial, while others do not. Nutrition experts have published a lot about the benefits vs detriments and it appears the jury is still out.

Not to hijack this thread with a discussion about GMOs, but the majority (about 90%) of soybeans grown in the US are Round-up ready genetically modified so that is one issue to consider. Soybeans also contain phytoestrogens which can interfere with the normal hormone functions in the body, especially estrogen in women. Having had cancer, my family physician and oncologist have both advised me to avoid all soy containing products, especially soybean oil. If I could go back in time to my young womanhood I would have avoided it just as a precaution, but who knew? Soybean oil is in just about all processed foods, so I read a lot of labels these days. Fast-food restaurants also use it prolifically to make their food nice and juicy.

While a lot of people feel that soy is a great alternative protein source, if this is a large part of your meat-free diet, I'd simply suggest you do some research on it.

• izzie218
    izzie218 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Just to let you guys know I've discovered that having a big dose of healthy fat with meals COMPLETELY stops the bloating. My favorite is avocado and I also really like hummus, peanut butter, and hazelnuts. But I'm really starting to love the vegan lifestyle! I feel great, my hair is growing super fast, and I just feel healthier and happy in general.

Again thanks for the feedback!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    A few people have mentioned soy as a protein source for a vegan diet. I would suggest a bit of caution on making soy a major part of a vegan or vegetarian diet, especially for women. There are both fans and critics of eating eating soy and soy based products. Many people believe it is greatly beneficial, while others do not. Nutrition experts have published a lot about the benefits vs detriments and it appears the jury is still out.

Not to hijack this thread with a discussion about GMOs, but the majority (about 90%) of soybeans grown in the US are Round-up ready genetically modified so that is one issue to consider. Soybeans also contain phytoestrogens which can interfere with the normal hormone functions in the body, especially estrogen in women. Having had cancer, my family physician and oncologist have both advised me to avoid all soy containing products, especially soybean oil. If I could go back in time to my young womanhood I would have avoided it just as a precaution, but who knew? Soybean oil is in just about all processed foods, so I read a lot of labels these days. Fast-food restaurants also use it prolifically to make their food nice and juicy.

While a lot of people feel that soy is a great alternative protein source, if this is a large part of your meat-free diet, I'd simply suggest you do some research on it.

I understand you have a medical history that indicates consuming soy may not be a good idea for you, but what is the research indicating it is a bad protein source for the general population? And I'm not sure why one should avoid it as a protein source if soybean oil is the food that should especially be avoided (a food, by the way, that is probably consumed as much -- if not more -- by non-vegans than vegans).

Soy is one of the most studied foods out there and if it did interfere with hormone production, there should be abundant evidence of that.