Is there such thing as bad motivation to lose weight?

Options
So my cousin and I were discussing reasons for losing weight, and one of my reasons were so I look good and feel confident in a crop top. I have other reasons, such as the energy I gain, and the fact that healthy food just makes me feel better overall than unhealthy foods, and how much I love to see the progress and yaddy yaddy ya.

Upon hearing this, my cousin scrunched up her face and told me that "wanting to look good in a crop top" is vain, selfish, and that it was a "wrong" reason to want to lose weight.

So this leads me to ask, is there a wrong reason to want to lose weight? I know some are less healthy than others (for example, it's not very good to lose weight because you hate your body), but I didn't think wanting to feel confident in semi-revealing clothes is a bad thing.

It's not that I want to strut around in skimpy clothing, I just want to be able to show an appropriate amount of skin and still feel proud about my body.

Is this bad? Is this wrong?

Replies

• Derpy_Hooves
    Derpy_Hooves Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    lmew91 wrote: »
    Those are pretty vain reasons, but I'd be lying if I said they weren't the main ones. Once I started losing weight, I felt so much better inside and out, so that is another source of motivation. I like pushing myself to lift heavier, run farther or fast, etc. But yes, it all started with the desire to look good on the outside.

That's how I started too and it's still a motivator.
    However what finally got me to "flick that switch", was my children and me wanting them to be healthy and active. The only way to do that (in my mind) is by setting the right example to them. I can hardly tell them to eat their veg while I stuff my face on cake...!
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    one of mine was to wear a crop top to xD note my profile pic. If the reason is personal theres no wrong ones, If your doing it because a boyfriend called you fat (for example) thatd be wrong.
  • genpopadopolous
    genpopadopolous Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Wanting to look better is on my list. Its not THE reason but liking how I look in pictures and a swimsuit is helpful.

I will say that I think focusing on looks could be a problem if the looks are unattainable or unrealistic; like a photoshopped cover or someone who is surgically enhanced.

But wanting to like how you look isn't inherently an issue.
  • kaylajane11
    kaylajane11 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with it at all. I honestly think anyone who says that looking good isn't a factor in why they want to lose weight is lying. It's always a factor, but maybe not the main one.

Yes, being healthy and fit, feeling great, having more energy, etc. are huge reasons why I track what I eat and exercise. But the main reason? Because I want to have a bangin' bod. The rest are bonuses.
  • Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I can think of a few that I would consider "bad" but they generally involve unhealthy practices like bulimia/anorexia or being pressured to lose weight by a partner/parent/coach/friend who makes you feel worthless for being yourself.

If you want to look hot in a certain outfit or feel confident naked and that is enough motivation for you to get fit and healthy then by all means go for it.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with it at all. I honestly think anyone who says that looking good isn't a factor in why they want to lose weight is lying. It's always a factor, but maybe not the main one.

I'm actually concerned I will look worse with the weight loss. I look at someone like Penn Jillete and think he looks like crap having lost 100 lbs. And I honestly worry that it will be the same for me. Too much loose skin and turkey neck.

Don't know if that will happen, but....
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options

I'm actually concerned I will look worse with the weight loss. I look at someone like Penn Jillete and think he looks like crap having lost 100 lbs. And I honestly worry that it will be the same for me. Too much loose skin and turkey neck.

Don't know if that will happen, but....

your beautiful youll always be beautiful relaxxx ;D
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I've definitely reached an age where my face looks better when I'm a little chubbier than when I'm thin. Oh well.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Wanting to look good is not a bad reason to lose weight. It might or might not be a sufficient reason to get to goal or keep it off, but that's a whole other issue.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

Is this bad?

Nope

Is this wrong?

Nope.

Now some people say they're pretty sure there's a lot more to life than being really, really, ridiculously good looking.

They have the right to be wrong I guess.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I am all about vanity..especially when it comes to cutting the last few pounds. Also it is the reason I am bulking, otherwise why on earth would I be doing this to myself!! Haha
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is such a thing as bad motivation, except when you want to lose 30 pounds in one month for reunion or something. When my mom gains weight every year after visiting my grandmother, she loses it because buying a new wardrobe would be too time and money consuming, and she keeps it off all year. That's as good a motivation as any.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I think weight loss is wrong if you are doing unhealthy things like striving for below a healthy weight as your goal or you are doing it to get someone else's approval.
    Like if your boyfriend told you he'd dump you if you didn't drop 10 lbs. I think it would be bad/stupid to use that as motivation and lose weight to stay in that kind of relationship.
    As long as your goal weight is a healthy weight, you aren't doing dumb unhealthy things to get there and it is your idea then it really isn't wrong motivation to want to look good or wear certain clothes.

I am losing weight to improve my health and my quality of life. I deserve to feel good. I want to wear clothes that fit better. Selfish reasons. I am not losing weight for my husband or my child or society.