Is this salad really 496 calories?

Options
Sorry I'm new here and just starting out and the amount of food I put into this salad as one of my 3 500 calorie meals seems rather large can someone double check that this is indeed 496 calories?

4 cups of fresh express double carrots- 30 calories (bag says 40 tho)
12 raw cherry tomatoes- 36 calories
100 grams of raw brocoli- 35 calories
4 ounces of turkey breast- 140 calories
100 grams of cucumber unpeeled- 15 calories
Caesar house light 6 tbsp- 240 calories (I'm trying to cut back on this the most little by little

All this comes to 496 calories (or 506 if you count the lettuce higher) and it seems like so much food after I made it all.

Any comments would be appreciated if I messed up something, thanks!

Replies

• junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    That looks correct. The dressing is a killer.
  • Shane324534645
    Shane324534645 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    junodog1 wrote: »

Yeah, I will slowly ween myself off of it a half a tablespoon a salad probably.
  • Shane324534645
    Options
    I'm sure you noticed this, but its the dressing that's half the calories. 6 tbsp seems like a lot. Are you sure you used that much? Caesar dressings do tend to be higher in calories than some others.

These are some of the best dressings I've tried: http://bolthouse.com/products/dressings/yogurt . You'll find them in the produce section at many stores. They are very flavorful AND low calorie, so that might help reduce dressing calories in two ways. Their creamy caesar is a favorite of mine.

Yeah, I noticed it and was in shock, I've never tried salad without any dressing so maybe I should try it next time and see how I like it. Also, thanks for the link I'll look through the flavors!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I find a little dressing/sauces go a long way....even 1TBSP - when I do my evening pasta (cause that is a staple) - I actually measure out a portion of a serving now, rather than dumping an entire container in - and it still tastes as good
  • jkirby0036
    jkirby0036 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You could put a little lemon juice on it or i add just a little fruit sometimes like mandarins or strawberries but just a few and it gives it flavor. But I have never been one to use a lot of dressing. Hope it helps!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I've never really been a salad dressing sort, the thought of that much makes me do the ack ack ack face.

I enjoy a good quality balsamic drizzled on mine. Now and again a little blue cheese dressing (though in all honesty I'd rather just have actual blue cheese in my salad!).
  • Shane324534645
    Options
    Sorry I'm new here and just starting out and the amount of food I put into this salad as one of my 3 500 calorie meals seems rather large can someone double check that this is indeed 496 calories?

4 cups of fresh express double carrots- 30 calories (bag says 40 tho)
    12 raw cherry tomatoes- 36 calories
    100 grams of raw brocoli- 35 calories
    4 ounces of turkey breast- 140 calories
    100 grams of cucumber unpeeled- 15 calories
    Caesar house light 6 tbsp- 240 calories (I'm trying to cut back on this the most little by little

All this comes to 496 calories (or 506 if you count the lettuce higher) and it seems like so much food after I made it all.

Any comments would be appreciated if I messed up something, thanks!

SIX tablespoons of dressing???? Yikes. No wonder. I use ONE in my salad. The calories in your dressing alone are more than in my entire salad with dressing. You definitely need to stop the dressing bath.

I must be doing something wrong because these 6 tbsp barely covered half of the salad, maybe I'm too use to smothering my salad and not caring about calories when I wasn't trying to lose weight. I'll try to cut it down to 3 tbsp which is still a lot on my next salad. How many cups are lettuce did you have for that one tbsp?
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,981 Member
    Options
    jkirby0036 wrote: »
    You could put a little lemon juice on it or i add just a little fruit sometimes like mandarins or strawberries but just a few and it gives it flavor. But I have never been one to use a lot of dressing. Hope it helps!

This. Or I was going to suggest lime juice. I also have never been big on lots of dressing on my salad. I can't imagine 6 tbsp of dressing especially for 240 calories. I usually use 1 tbsp or less in my salad. And the dressing I use is 80 calories for 30 grams. I would skip the dressing and have a candy bar with my salad. Lol. Or try using a vinaigrette or olive oil based dressing.
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    4 cups carrots is 32oz or two POUNDS of carrots...which should be 200 calories not 40 calories.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    ktekc wrote: »
    I use 2 tablespoons and cover it and shake the hell out of it for even coverage.

^^^ That is the trick to using less dressing but still having the flavor!
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Use a food scale and weigh your vegetables - cups are not an accurate measure for solid food. That will give you a more accurate calorie count, providing you use the correct database entry. USDA entries are nice to use.

And yes, use less dressing and shake it or toss it to cover your salad. Or use less by dipping your fork into your dressing and then picking up your salad with it. You use considerably less and get the flavour without as many calories.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Theo166 wrote: »
    ktekc wrote: »
    I use 2 tablespoons and cover it and shake the hell out of it for even coverage.

^^^ That is the trick to using less dressing but still having the flavor!

Exactly
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    Macy9336 wrote: »
    4 cups carrots is 32oz or two POUNDS of carrots...which should be 200 calories not 40 calories.

I read it that way at first, too, but I think it's actually a pre-packaged lettuce/carrot mix that just has "double carrots" in it. Like those pre-packaged mixed green salads.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    junodog1 wrote: »

Yeah, I will slowly ween myself off of it a half a tablespoon a salad probably.

I'm a HUGE user of dressings/condiments and yeah-those can kill your calories :( Just experiment with lower calorie ones (I now use Kraft's fat free zesty Italian dressing on a lot of things and it's only 15 calories per 2tbsp!), and then for the ones you decide to keep (I will never, ever cut out my beloved Hidden Valley Ranch lol), just slowly start using less. I went from pouring it on, to now using a half or 1 serving, measured out :)
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I make my own with just oil,vinegar or lemon juice and seasoning. Even with the oil,a generous helping is around 140 calories. A half serving,shaken up with the salad,would cover it generously (I like it dripping with dressing but it's not really necessary and also I'm trying to gain weight so don't mind the calories!)
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Sounds right. I would try what others have suggested - maybe take a few tbsp of the dressing and mix your salad really well instead of just gooping it on top and eating it smothered. What helped me at first was getting the single serving packets and limiting myself to one, then shaking my salad so the dressing was all over. It actually covers very well. I use 1-2 tbsp. per 2 cups, depending on the dressing.