Where to buy plus sized gym wear?

Options
Hi,

I'm joining a gym and need to buy a few bits and pieces to wear. Im on the cusp of plus and straight size but I have wider hips so I figure plus size may fit better.

I'm based in the UK so if possible not US only stores like old navy etc!

Thank you :)

Replies

• MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    tesco
  • jakicooke
    jakicooke Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    some of the supermarkets do some really nice kit in large sizes - try the likes of Sainsburys :-)
  • CellywithBellie
    CellywithBellie Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Do you have old navy that way?
  • Skyblueyellow
    Skyblueyellow Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I don't know what sorts of stores you have in the UK (my last visit was 1999) but in the US you can find a small assortment of plus-sized clothing in "big box" stores (Target, WalMart, etc) and you can find brands on Amazon. Too bad you don't have Old Navy because the nicest pants I have are from there. I don't spend too much on my workout gear right now because my size changes a lot. Once I get closer to goal I plan to splurge on a few really nice pieces.
  • eok902
    eok902 Posts: 56 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I read this article on (women's lifestyle website) The Pool recently about exercise gear from UK high street brands. They tend to extend their ranges into larger sizes so it might be reading for ideas: https://www.the-pool.com/fashion/shopping/2017/7/the-pool-tries-high-street-gym-gear
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    JD sport, sports direct, ebay.
  • kpkitten
    kpkitten Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Sainsburys, matalan, tesco. M and s is good for sports bras but I haven't looked at their other sportswear
    Until you get beyond about a size 22 it's not toooo difficult.
  • Carnhot
    Carnhot Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I find TK MAXX good for fitness hear.
  • Carnhot
    Carnhot Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Gear
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Don't know what you have for thrift stores, but our Goodwill stores have lots of Activewear in all sizes. Most in great condition and low cost.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Carnhot wrote: »
    Gear

On the top right of your post is a little icon you can click and edit the post if you make a typo
  • 1ocean1girl
    1ocean1girl Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I buy mine from lane bryant... a but pricey but it fits and is comfy :smiley:
  • kerrydidwell4721
    kerrydidwell4721 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've just bought gym top and bottoms in a size 18 from Sainsburys for under £30. Had a reasonable selection too.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Ir depends what you mean by plus size. Asda goes up to XL which is a 20, their L is a 16/18 and the quality is pretty good for the price (£12 for crop leggings). Primark goes up to a 18/20, with leggings starting at £5, I find them quite generously sized though and am thinking about going down to a 12 despite being a 14 elsewhere. For larger sizes Fabletics is quite good although very expensive at full price, I tend to wait for the sales and have some pretty funky leggings (sadly now far too big) that I bought for<£10 a pair.
  • patrickthames
    patrickthames Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    have you surfed online stores like amazon, ebay?
  • Piqueaboo
    Piqueaboo Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Nike just started a plus-sized collection and I am SO EXCITED about it!! I'm gonna go shopping once I reach my first mini-goal.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    What is this "gym wear" you speak of? I wear shorts, T-shirts, and maybe sweatpants and/or a hoodie if it's cold.
  • eok902
    eok902 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    CipherZero wrote: »
    What is this "gym wear" you speak of? I wear shorts, T-shirts, and maybe sweatpants and/or a hoodie if it's cold.

Lots of people don't like how regular (i.e. cotton) t-shirts and shirts get soggy and stinky when you sweat so they prefer to wear technical fabrics that don't hold sweat next to your skin. Also, not everyone wants to wear shorts to the gym or when running in winter so they opt for leggings.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Online. Of course, I'll promote local. Hopefully S&H is not prohibitive.
    http://www.icecreamwear.com/fitness/yoga/home
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    CipherZero wrote: »

When I first started, the last thing I wanted to do was spend tons of money on clothes that would soon be too big.

I do like tech fabrics because they don't get as wet and heavy as cotton, but even now I don't spend much on them. Shoes and socks for running, I do.