Night Owl Trying for AM Exercise Reform.... Any suggestions?

Options
Well- I have a confession to make. I am a night owl. I get to the gym about 5-6 days out of the week and am doing well.... problem is, I would like to workout in the AM about 04:00 and CAN'T SEEM TO GET GOING!!!!:angry: I am not a morning person by nature, Since birth I have practically given my mother a run for the hills in the AM. :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:

The alarm clock goes off each AM at 03:45 and still I hit the snooze button or ignore it- going on for about 2 months now...:sad: My Husband has told me that I should stick to PM workouts for everyones sake and sanity. What can I do to snap out of this 40 year slump?????

Replies

• nebgurl
    nebgurl Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Well- I have a confession to make. I am a night owl. I get to the gym about 5-6 days out of the week and am doing well.... problem is, I would like to workout in the AM about 04:00 and CAN'T SEEM TO GET GOING!!!!:angry: I am not a morning person by nature, Since birth I have practically given my mother a run for the hills in the AM. :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:

The alarm clock goes off each AM at 03:45 and still I hit the snooze button or ignore it- going on for about 2 months now...:sad: My Husband has told me that I should stick to PM workouts for everyones sake and sanity. What can I do to snap out of this 40 year slump?????
  • SandyHern
    SandyHern Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling your pain. I'm the same way. I set the alarm for 4:30am and by the time 5:30am comes around I'm still in bed, so it gets too late to work out before work. :grumble:

I've been hitting the gym during my lunch hour, that seems to be working for me. I don't hit the afternoon slump as much as I used to.

103332.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    Totally know how you feel, I usually can get up but not quite as early as I want to sometimes. Just start trying to go to bed earlier, or put your alarm across the room so you HAVE to get out of bed to turn it off! Good luck, you can do it! :tongue:

~Leash
  • superkitty7
    Options
    Not everybody is good at working out in the morning. From my own experience I am just a lot more efficient in the late afternoon or evening! I have definitely gotten up at the crack of dawn to try to go for a run to save time in the evenings, but I just don't get the same result as when I work out at night. Plus, I like working out at night so I can kind of de-stress from the day. I think the only thing I was good at was swimming in the morning since it is so low-impact and you wake up real fast in that cold water!! Maybe try to swim in the morning at your gym? If you really ARE determined to get up in the morning, set the alarm and put the clock way across the room and make it loud. Then when you get up, just stay up. (Sorry hubby!! :wink: )
  • Coach2010
    Coach2010 Posts: 209
    Options
    Couple suggestions:

1. Since you're already wired for evenings, how 'bout waking up early to go to work, then leave 30 mins to an hour early to work out earlier in the evening?

2. Instead of leaving early, how 'bout trying something like the 10 min Kettlebell workout in the Morning for a quick start before getting ready, then working out in the evening finishing 10 - 20 mins sooner?

http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-video/10-minute-solution-kettlebell-ultimate-fat-burner-5596

The main thing is to ensure you get at least 7 hours of sleep a night so you're mind and body are sharp per day. That said, only you and yours can work out a time that fits for both of your success....I learned that early from the feedback on this MFP site :laugh:
  • meg0112
    meg0112 Posts: 344
    Options
    Totally with you! Its 10:30pm and I just worked out because I couldn't bring myself to do it before work at 7am!! So lazy in the AM, but I did find a "morning energizing yoga" routine on youtube. Its about 10 minutes long and when I actually get out of bed in the morning I start with that and it really does wake me up and get me moving. As far as actually getting up though, good luck lol. This is personal, but do you have to pee right when you wake up? Sometimes I do, so I tell myself if I get up to go to the bathroom even if I've already hit snooze there is no going back to bed (like i used to) and thats helped- but sometimes I'm right back asleep before I even have to go.

Hope you find something that works for you! :drinker:
  • nebgurl
    Options
    I usually do go to the restroom right when i get up. My sleeping habits are pretty good. I was even reading one of the post about putting the clock across the room- I've tried that too- thus the ignoring of the clock. :angry: My husband usually gets up and turns it off after about 45 mins. I'll keep trying. I am hoping that one soon I will get up and be equally as motivated in the AM as the PM:noway: **sigh** I've even gotten up and found my self right back in bed for a tiny nap. I have gone as far as making an appointment at the gym with a trainer (and missing them), wake up calls- and I even got a manual step machine IN THE BEDROOM!!!!!! and still it just doesn't seem to click that I should actually use it in the AM.:grumble: Wish me luck- Goodness knows I need it.
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Experts say the best time to exercise is the time you'll stick to it. Maybe mornings just are not for you. Do you have a stationary bike or anything at home? You could try starting out with some exercise in the morning and work up to leaving for the gym for your full workout. Baby steps!:bigsmile:

Amy:bigsmile:
    118984.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary

My favorite post for answers:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again
  • meg0112
    meg0112 Posts: 344
    Options
    why do you want to work out in the morning? If its not something you absolutely have to do for the rest of your life to work-then don't. Stick to your routine, you'll do much better that way. Good luck :)
  • LisaZaugg1976
    LisaZaugg1976 Posts: 1,144 Member
    Options
    I just get up and say I am going for it.

so I get up at 6 am and work out for 1 hr before getting my daughter up for school for 7 am.
  • JMAMA
    JMAMA Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    If it were me, i would stick to what works for you. Working out is hard to do period, let alone doing it when you're used to being asleep! Don't skimp on the sleep, that is just as important to being healthy as working out!
  • nebgurl
    Options
    Well... I have some good news... I did manage to get up to work out on 1... yep ONE morning for about 15 minutes!!!! Power workout and burned about 125 calories!!! That was all I could stand... Yes... yes... yes..... Baby steps. Thanks, everyone- for your support!