Is this salad really 496 calories?

Replies

• fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    OP, do you like heat? Asking because another option I can suggest is to use wing sauce. I use Moore's (it's our favorite) and it is 15 cal per TB. It adds a crap ton of flavor, for very little calories.
  • Ilysandrew11
    Ilysandrew11 Posts: 133 Member
    Have you tried putting the dressing in a little cup (measure it out) and then you dip your fork into the dressing before you take a bite of your salad? Sometimes that helps with the dressing and it cuts down the calories!!
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Have you tried putting the dressing in a little cup (measure it out) and then you dip your fork into the dressing before you take a bite of your salad? Sometimes that helps with the dressing and it cuts down the calories!!

That's a great habit to cultivate. I learned that trick when I was doing WW. And I still use it at restaurants - I order my dressing on the side, always. It's just crazy how much the bring, and how much is always left!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member
    OP, do you like heat? Asking because another option I can suggest is to use wing sauce. I use Moore's (it's our favorite) and it is 15 cal per TB. It adds a crap ton of flavor, for very little calories.

Or just dress the salad with your favorite salsa.
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    It's probably correct on the calories. When i started to lose weight, i weighed 285lbs and I had a huge appetite and I turned to salads because they meant I could essentially eat a ton of food and feel full.
  • rdmitch
    rdmitch Posts: 278 Member
    Sounds like we all agree the dressing is the demon here. I am a huge salad eater. Every day usually twice, I just like the taste of it. I have never used anything other than Italian dressing in over 50 yrs. I do not like anything with mayo or "creamy" stuff. I make my own concoction of dressing that is super low in calories and tastes good. Simply.... it's essentially good seasons italian without the oil.
    I use mostly red wine vinegar (about 6 oz.), a little oil, splash of water, 1/2 package of good seasons Italian dressing mix, 5 packages sweet and low ( kills the vinegary taste and adds some sweetness) and then I add a little extra spices just for fun.
    Probably is under 15 calories a serving (2-3 tbsp). Only problem is without the heavy oil to hold it all
    together you have to shake the crap out of it before you use it or it separates. Been doing this for a long time and have yet to tire of it. I also love to put a little of this in a cup and dip raw carrots in it for a snack.
  • ekim2016
    ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
    sometimes a table spoon of warm butter tastes good sprinkled over my salad... around 70 on a splurgy day..but usually a vinegar oil homemade with garlic flavor... yum
  • descene
    descene Posts: 97 Member
    edited March 2017
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Put dressing on the side. Dip your fork in the dressing then take the salad. You get the taste but fewer calories.

THIS. I did this initially to get used to eating salads with less dressing. What you're accustomed to eating plays a much bigger role in what you crave than I always thought. For instance, now that my diet has less salt and sugar, I've outright thrown things away because they were so salty or so sweet that I didn't enjoy it anymore.
    Now I don't do the fork thing, but 1-2 tbsp in plasticware and I shake the heck out of it before eating so everything is evenly-coated.
  • BeChill73
    BeChill73 Posts: 75 Member
    edited March 2017
    My dinner last night was a HUGE bowl of asian-inspired salad, included shredded chicken, cashew nuts, crispy noodles and a dressing, and it totalled 461 calories. The dressing was a mix of brown sugar, sesame oil, olive oil and soy sauce and a tablespoon of the dressing was roughly 50cals.

Not sure how to add pics but it looked as good as it tasted! :)
  • jnducharme
    jnducharme Posts: 83 Member
    Making your own dressing is the key to healthy salads. Try making your own ceasar dressing using yogurt instead of mayonnaise it will cut down on A LOT of calories and probably be way tastier! This is the first one I found but it looks good :)http://www.wellplated.com/homemade-caesar-dressing/
  • wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    I dislike most salad dressings, so for the most part, I eat my salads sprinkled with salt instead. Gives a bit of flavor, but lower calorie
  • jnducharme
    jnducharme Posts: 83 Member
    If you don't make your own salad dressings I highly highly recommend it, it will completely change your relationship with salad for the better! Here are a few of my own recipes. I suggest using about 1/2- 1 tbs of them and then adding extra balsamic vinegar if you need more flavour.

Sesame maple dressing (my favourite with spinach salad!)
    0.25 cup(s), Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    2 tbsp, Toasted Sesame Oil
    1 tbsp(s), Syrups - Maple
    0.75 tbsp(s), Lemon juice, raw
    3 tbsp, Balsamic Vinegar

Sesame Tahini salad dressing
    2 TBSP (15 ml), Tahini
    2 tbsp, Balsamic Vinegar
    1 clove, Garlic Clove, Smashed
    2.50 tablespoon, Oil - Olive
    2 tbsp(s), Water
    0.50 tablespoon, Soy Sauce

Honey mustard
    1 clove, Garlic Clove, Smashed
    1 tbsp, White Wine Vinegar
    1.50 tsp, Dijon Mustard
    1 tsp(s), Honey
    0.25 cup(s), Extra-Virgin Olive Oil

• FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    I have found that if I salt and pepper my lettuce and veggies, that I can eat it with very little dressing if any at all. I just dip the fork now typically. The salt and pepper on the salad itself adds enough flavor, that I get by with only using maybe a half TBSP of dressing...
  • locoloon
    locoloon Posts: 29 Member
    ktekc wrote: »
    I use 2 tablespoons and cover it and shake the hell out of it for even coverage.

if you've ever gone to one of the "salad" places where you pick the ingredients , they usually put the dressing on the side of the mixing bowl before stirring it all around. Its the same principle. you can also add some salt and pepper to the salad and cut back on the dressing.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Ideally, replace the dressing with some tuna or chicken to change not-great calories for nutritious calories, though. The most calorie dense part of your meal shouldn't really be 1/3 cup of salad dressing.
  • healthypelican
    healthypelican Posts: 215 Member
    Looks like a delicious salad!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,832 Member
    edited March 2017
    I'm sure you noticed this, but its the dressing that's half the calories. 6 tbsp seems like a lot. Are you sure you used that much? Caesar dressings do tend to be higher in calories than some others.

These are some of the best dressings I've tried: http://bolthouse.com/products/dressings/yogurt . You'll find them in the produce section at many stores. They are very flavorful AND low calorie, so that might help reduce dressing calories in two ways. Their creamy caesar is a favorite of mine.

Yeah, I noticed it and was in shock, I've never tried salad without any dressing so maybe I should try it next time and see how I like it. Also, thanks for the link I'll look through the flavors!

I don't really like salad with dressing ... I like salad, but I'm not fond of dressing and stopped eating it when I was in my early teens.

Prior to that, my mother fed me salads with dressing but I didn't like them and kind of picked my way through them, so one day she gave me a salad without dressing ... and it was so much better!

Give it a try, you might discover you like it better. :)

However, I do like a bit of salt and maybe pepper on my salads.

• DefiningStrength
    DefiningStrength Posts: 6 Member
    Plain unsweetened yogurt with herbs/ spices/ seasoning/ lemon juice (any of them) works amazingly as a dressing. De Winkel yogurt has 62 kcal/ 150g and anchor greek (natural) has 90 kcal/ 150g (obviously you barely need a portion of that!) thin it out a little with lemon/ water and you have a creamy unique dressing for under 20kcal! :);)
  • shandy82165
    shandy82165 Posts: 184 Member
    OP, are you happy with the salad and the calories? If so, then I don't see a need for you to cut back on the dressing. IIFYM and all that. I would suggest though, that you start weighing your dressing, if you're not already. You'll get a much more accurate picture of how many calories you're eating. I would weigh everything, even the cherry tomatoes.