Nutritional value unknown. ❓❓❓

Hi everyone.
Ask here if you have a food or drink that you can't find a satisfactory nutritional value for in the My Fitness App. One of our clever members may be able to help.

Replies

• TerryMyfitbitsnbobs
    TerryMyfitbitsnbobs Posts: 238 Member
    edited February 2017
    Lambs Head Whole to make a curry.
    There are references to lambs head meat etc on app but nothing like the right info. I know for a fact that the brain is higher in fat and calories that the rest of the meat.
    Thanks.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Could you break it down to two entries, one for the head meat and the other for brains?
  • TerryMyfitbitsnbobs
    edited February 2017
    Could you break it down to two entries, one for the head meat and the other for brains?

Good idea but that means pulling it to bits raw. Yuck! I'm being adventurous enough pressure cooking it then pushing the meat off with a plastic utensil. Also, I'm not sure if there is an entry for brain.
  • Alatariel75
    There would be an entry for lambs brains, they're quite a common dish in the UK and Australia.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    while not perfect - you could weigh the overall head and then estimate how much is brains vs. meat for logging
  • I think I am going to have to do an FBI style autopsy. Weigh the meat, the brain, the tongue, etc etc, then find close approximations to those and add them up into a whole head. Then add the entry into the app.
  • Spiderpug
    Spiderpug Posts: 159 Member
    edited February 2017
    There would be an entry for lambs brains, they're quite a common dish in the UK and Australia.

U.K. Member here - no, they're not! Ewwwegh :neutral:
  • akoivisto
    akoivisto Posts: 141 Member
    edited February 2017
    I've been told I put my foot in my mouth at times; however, I cannot find an entry "Foot in Mouth" while i'm not 'eating' my foot per-say, it is briefly in my mouth to much my displeasure and others it seems. Gum has a caloric content thus I figure so does my foot.

So... my question.

Would anyone know how many calories I leech off my foot in say a 30 second period? Should I weigh my foot, or ... does anyone know how to accurately calculate the surface area of my foot; and then... now do I calculate calories earned?

I'm at a loss here...
  • TerryMyfitbitsnbobs
    edited February 2017
    akoivisto wrote: »
    I've been told I put my foot in my mouth at times; however, I cannot find an entry "Foot in Mouth" while i'm not 'eating' my foot per-say, it is briefly in my mouth to much my displeasure and others it seems. Gum has a caloric content thus I figure so does my foot.

So... my question.

Would anyone know how many calories I leech off my foot in say a 30 second period? Should I weigh my foot, or ... does anyone know how to accurately calculate the surface area of my foot; and then... now do I calculate calories earned?

I'm at a loss here...

Well as you are eating yourself, you are both losing and gaining equal amounts of weight. In fact, as the amounts cancel each other out, you will actually lose the calorific value that the body uses in chewing on, licking at, eating and digesting the foot. Technically you have a negative value food there pal. Chow down.
  • akoivisto
    akoivisto Posts: 141 Member
    How could I have been so daft to not realize that?! Thank you so much for clearing this matter up and enlightening me. So glad I found this thread! I can now put my foot in my mouth without having to worry about messing up my daily intake if I do it too much! Cheers!
  • Alatariel75
    akoivisto wrote: »

So... my question.

I'm at a loss here...

Well as you are eating yourself, you are both losing and gaining equal amounts of weight. In fact, as the amounts cancel each other out, you will actually lose the calorific value that the body uses in chewing on, licking at, eating and digesting the foot. Technically you have a negative value food there pal. Chow down.

This is why chewing your nails counts as exercise.
  • Alatariel75
    Spiderpug wrote: »

Really? My UK rellies used to sing the praises of crumbed lambs brains! They got excited when they were on the menu of a local pub here.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    I'm in the UK as well and brains (of any animal) are definitely not a common dish. In fact, I have never seen brains on a menu. I've just googled the idea and the first entry to come up is a BBC Food Guide that starts "Brains aren't the easiest of ingredients to source in the UK".
  • Alatariel75
    I'm in the UK as well and brains (of any animal) are definitely not a common dish. In fact, I have never seen brains on a menu. I've just googled the idea and the first entry to come up is a BBC Food Guide that starts "Brains aren't the easiest of ingredients to source in the UK".

Weird... must just be us crazy Aussies then. They aren't super common, but its not unusual to see them on the menu (particularly the seniors menu) at pubs and RSLs.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Really? My UK rellies used to sing the praises of crumbed lambs brains! They got excited when they were on the menu of a local pub here.

"Crumbed"...is that similar to either ground or minced meat?
  • TerryMyfitbitsnbobs
    Spiderpug wrote: »

To be fair, in this country sheep's, lamb's, or anything's head hasn't been popular since rationing ended in the fifties. Shame, because brain is one of the nicest things I've tasted.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    You could probably google how much a lamb brain weighs and just log it as fat.
  • TerryMyfitbitsnbobs

In East London, I can pick up all kinds of exotic ingredients very easily. I'm blessed with a multicultural smorgasbord of shops.
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member

"Crumbed"...is that similar to either ground or minced meat?

Crumbed, as in with crumbs on it....
  • TerryMyfitbitsnbobs
    You could probably google how much a lamb brain weighs and just log it as fat.

The fat content is quite high, but not that high.