Does anyone else suffer from Night Eating Syndrome?

Options
I've been experiencing this for about a year. I'm very conscious about my calories during the day, make sure my food choices are nutritious, and drink plenty of water. However, I wake up about 2 to 3 times a night and nothing else is in my brain but an overwhelming urge to eat (always sweets too :(). It is not entirely unconscious, but it is very *close*. If anyone has coping mechanisms that would be great..because the next day I have to try my best to recall what I ate in the night and subtract it from the calories I'm allowed for the following day. It's rather unpleasant. Also: I am not diabetic and have no real health problems other than being overweight. Thanks!

Replies

• crunchypinata
    crunchypinata Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention that I don't keep actual sweets or junk in the house. By sweets, I mean things like Greek yogurt and toasted oat cereal with fruit.
  • ladysairi
    ladysairi Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have this, but I suffer from insomnia to begin with. If it's early in the night, I try to do something relaxing to ignore it, like read or exercise a little, something to get my mind off of it. If it's later in the night, like 4:00am onward, I just get up and have some coffee to tide me over, and then go about my morning routine, making sure I don't eat breakfast until a target time (7:00-9:00am). Usually after that it's not as bad the next night because I'm too tired to wake up. A quick, hot shower can also help in the middle of the night because it makes me feel relaxed and sleepy.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    have you been diagnosed by a doctor? did they not suggest any treatment?
  • MrsPinterest34
    MrsPinterest34 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    First, it will be great to identify the cause of this problem. Are you on any restrictive diets? Are you eating enough nutrient dense food throughout the day to prevent this from happening at night? How about you prepare some healthy low calorie sweet night snacks in advance. Grab only the premade snack if you happen to wake up at night you know exactly what you ate the following morning. You can also just go ahead and include the late night snack in your food diary for the day and what you don't eat you delete it the following day. Another option you can do a quick 20 min low intensity cardio, after dinner to create more calorie deficit so that the calories you eat overnight doesn't sabotage your weight loss goal.
  • arlzixxx
    arlzixxx Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I didn't even know this was a thing wow! I feel the same way I do well during the day but really hungry and wanting to eat all night but just chocolate x
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need to get a sleep study done, it's hard to know what to suggest otherwise.
  • Rannoch3908
    Rannoch3908 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    My wife does....it's crazy to see.
  • missmagnoliablossom
    missmagnoliablossom Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I previously suffered from this - feel free to friend/message me!
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    im a sleep walker and sometimes ill take food and smear it all over my ....well everything....But im not sure if any of it made it in my mouth. I Tried to set an alarm on my fridge door (and my apartment door but thats a whole other story...)

Asleep me knew it was there and turned it off but half sleepy you may not :o The alarm startling you may snap you out of it and remind you to behave and go back to bed.

Keeping just healthy foods around, If your semi concious reach for the giant tub of strawberries/grape tomatoes or pre popped popcorn or something low calorie could be useful.

Also i dont htink subtracting it from the next day is wise, Especially if its alot. Could be causign you to go to bed hungry and lead to binge night snacks. Try to eat a snack before bed
  • storyflory1
    storyflory1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Oh god yes! I always want a bowl of cereal or ice cream. I try to read something interesting or make lists of things I want to do until I get sleepy enough to fall asleep. Sometimes I make room in my calorie allotment to allow myself my favorite treat and still stay within my 1200 calorie a day plan...
  • gawworthington
    gawworthington Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I do this to. I I have to sleep with a cpap too. I don't remember eating. I also don't feel full.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I do this to. I I have to sleep with a cpap too. I don't remember eating. I also don't feel full.

See, this is what I'm thinking. Sleep walking and strange night time behaviour can be a sign of sleep apnoea or similar, so it's always worth getting it checked out.