Can you gain muscle if your loosing weight ?

siiil209
siiil209 Posts: 13 Member
Hello , beginner here

Replies

• siiil209
    HELP
  • siiil209
    Can anyone see what I typed . It's not showing up when I view it
  • jlewis326
    jlewis326 Posts: 53 Member
    If you eat too little your body can use muscle for energy.
  • siiil209
    Thank you everyone for the help ! Best of luck to everyone on your journey !
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    While I hear it is possible, I think rather than focusing on how much muscle you can gain, do what you would do regardless to retain as much muscle as possible at deficit, by weight training and adequate protein intake (and keeping the deficit reasonable). Any muscle gains while losing would be a bonus. Once you get near goal you can reevaluate and decide to recomp or bulk depending on your goals.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    edited March 2017
    tbrain1989 wrote: »

As of today 02/03/2017 i am 259 Lbs

21% body fat. which is 54lbs

Your answer was informative for the OP but I can't believe that you have 205lbs of LBM unless you are 6'8+
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    They are not mutually exclusive.
    During the bulk of my weight loss (pun not intended) I did resistance training with the intention of preserving the muscle. After quite a few months I noticed a bicep "dimple" and my forearms were significantly more "veiny", and don't get me started on the legs...
  • trigden1991
    During the bulk of my weight loss (pun not intended) I did resistance training with the intention of preserving the muscle. After quite a few months I noticed a bicep "dimple" and my forearms were significantly more "veiny", and don't get me started on the legs...

You lost bodyfat and got leaner. That doesn't mean that you gained muscle though I'm afraid.
  • GymTennis
    GymTennis Posts: 133 Member
    Yes, if you are a beginner. Stay at maintenance calorie intake at your current activity level and see how far you can go before you stall. Then you will have to make some changes
  • GymTennis
    GymTennis Posts: 133 Member
    edited March 2017
    I actually think your question would be more precise as "can you gain muscle and lose fat" and than my previous answer would make more sense. Cause when you start to drop weight by forming a caloric deficit, you lose both muscle and fat, and at best, you can hope to retain as much muscle as possible by lifting weights
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    GymTennis wrote: »
    I actually think your question would be more precise as "can you gain muscle and lose fat" and than my previous answer would make more sense. Cause when you start to drop weight by forming a caloric deficit, you lose both muscle and fat, and at best, you can hope to retain as much muscle as possible by lifting weights

Even in a deficit, the OP may the ability to gain some muscle.

OP, can you gain muscle in a deficit... yea.. most people can, especially if they are new to resistance training/progressive overload training. Will you gain muscle... well unless you get DEXA scans, you won't actually know. So at best, follow a structure program, have a small or no deficit, get adequate protein, and just try to get stronger. Even if you do or don't gain muscle, it won't matter if you like how your body is shaping up.
  • hydrostation
    hydrostation Posts: 37 Member
    Absolutely!!!

While in a calorie deficient, it is possible to gain muscle while cutting, the gains won't be huge by any means but you can gain strength and muscle for sure. But remember, if you are in a calorie surplus, you will gain much more muscle, but you will not be able to lose any fat at all.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member

You lost bodyfat and got leaner. That doesn't mean that you gained muscle though I'm afraid.

In the interests of balance - it also doesn't mean he didn't add muscle!
  • trigden1991
    sijomial wrote: »

In the interests of balance - it also doesn't mean he didn't add muscle!

Very true.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,501 Member
    aaveaster wrote: »
    When you say lose weight I assume you mean lose fat? Gaining muscle will help your fat loss more than just decreasing calorie intake, because muscle uses your fat for energy so the more you have the more fat you will lose (that is why squats are actually one of the best exercises for fat loss and increasing metabolism) - that said you *weight* might not change and might even go up! I have been training since november and have lost fat, gained muscle and stayed the same weight, but my body is still smaller because muscle takes up so much less room than fat. Thirdly you need to make sure you're eating enough to gain that muscle, especially protein. I know a lot of people at my gym who are eating more than they ever did before but the right foods and combined with the exercise they are still losing fat :smiley:
    Actually muscle use GLYCOGEN for energy first and foremost. And on a deficit people aren't gaining pounds of muscle per month. Even then, a pound of muscle only burns 6 calories a day more. That's not super significant.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png