processed foods ? what is/isnt?

Options
First off, if you cannot say anything nice don't say anything at all! Constructive critism is great but please do not be mean.
Yes I can google it, but you cannot believe everything on the internet and I would much rather get the views of MFP!

So what do you consider processed food? I am working hard to eat a cleaner diet and I say " I am going to cut out processed foods" but what does that mean? Does that mean prepackaged things like my cheese strings? Or is that things like froozen dinners (which I do not eat anyways) my diary is open. Feel free to look at it!

I am doing Insanity and following the meal plan for lunch and my dinner and a few snacks.

Thank you in advanced!

Jen

Edit: here are some of my daily things
Sargentino light cheese strings
Chobani yogurts
Crunch master multigrain crackers
Fiber one bar
Carnation breakfast drink or some form of cereal.
Dole canned peaches

Replies

• britterbrittney
    britterbrittney Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Yes, anything pre-packed. Like your cheese string. :-/
  • JenBrown0210
    JenBrown0210 Posts: 985 Member
    Options

Aaahhh no I am sad :( so then would a slice of deli cheese not be considered processed?
  • britterbrittney
    Options
    I guess not. I had this discussion today with my personal trainer. She said if I got deli meat (low sodium) it is much better than the prepacked stuff. I'm actually doing Tosca Reno's eat clean diet. I learned a lot from her book!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I would think any cheese at all would be processed. Milk would be too, unless you got it right from a farm.
  • britterbrittney
    Options
    I would think any cheese at all would be processed. Milk would be too, unless you got it right from a farm.

Not if its fresh cheese!
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I think cheese and yogurt is a tricky subject. Of course it's all "processed" to some degree, but some are fresh and all-natural while some have a ton of additives and really shouldn't be called cheese or yogurt. I, myself, go for the more natural, Greek yogurts, with only honey as a sweetener. I've cut out most cheese, but when I do have some, I buy the good, fresh, all-natural stuff. It's more expensive and probably more fattening, but that's what motivates me to buy and eat less of it.

As a general rule, in stuff that comes pre-packaged, if you can't read/understand some of the ingredients or the natural ingredients are altered in some way (high-fructose, hydrogenated, etc.), put it back on the shelf. Avoid frozen dinners, too, because they have a lot of sodium, even the ones that are "healthy".
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options

Aaahhh no I am sad :( so then would a slice of deli cheese not be considered processed?

I would consider deli cheese processed. It contains a lot of unnecessary ingredients (like preservatives and often food coloring). I buy my cheese from a farm. It contains milk, enzymes and salt. Though it is processed to create it I don't consider it "processed."

I consider foods that have unnecessary ingredients or enriched ingredients processed. Homemade, whole-grain pasta and sauce = not processed, Hamburger Helper = processed.

Some people are more strict in about what is processed and what is not. If you don't have a deciding factor you'd pretty much be eating raw to avoid processed. Raw works for some people but not me.

Good luck!
  • Namaste1983
    Namaste1983 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what you consider clean... I eat string cheese, I also eat canned tuna, oh no! watch out for my frozen peas!! lmao. To me processed food is fast food, nurtient empty food, donuts, cakes. My motto is this: 70% clean 30% dirty. If i want cheesecake i'm not going to buy a low fat version of it. I'm going to a restaurant and getting a slice of the real thing or making it from scratch. Foods should be minimally impacted from farm to table, store to home etc. The more processes it goes through the more it is strpped of nutrients and chances are they added some stuff your body won't recognize. I aim for the most nutrient dense foods i can get. These are just my opinions though :)
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    My not totally educated understanding is if it comes in a box/prepackaged its processed (cereal, crackers...)
    If you can't look at it and name what's in just from looking at it, it its processed.

I also do this because I hate reading labels to make sure that I'm not allergic to the ingredients.
    I make my own crackers, granola, I'm hoping to make my own yogurt soon. Sure the ingredients are processed but they're less processed and I know what everything going into my end product is.

Living totally clean is really hard, shoot for a percentage of "clean" eating.
  • happymom1197
    happymom1197 Posts: 155
    Options
    I am interested in everyone's replies also. I'm also trying to eat less processed foods.
  • britterbrittney
    Options
    Its SO expensive, but totally worth it.

I have so much energy when I wake up its unbelievable.

Edit:
    ....I sound a little dramatic...
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what you consider clean... I eat string cheese, I also eat canned tuna, oh no! watch out for my frozen peas!! lmao. To me processed food is fast food, nurtient empty food, donuts, cakes. My motto is this: 70% clean 30% dirty. If i want cheesecake i'm not going to buy a low fat version of it. I'm going to a restaurant and getting a slice of the real thing or making it from scratch. Foods should be minimally impacted from farm to table, store to home etc. The more processes it goes through the more it is strpped of nutrients and chances are they added some stuff your body won't recognize. I aim for the most nutrient dense foods i can get. These are just my opinions though :)

This is my opinion of "processed foods" too. If it is empty calories without a whole lot of nutrients in it, I consider it a processed food. Definitely fast food. I do consider tv dinners "processed" because I feel like they take what COULD be healthier foods and process it to the point of a bit of unhealthiness. Do I eat them? Occasionally when I am just too dang tired to make anything else (like after working a 9 hour day). But, as a rule, I try and avoid them most of the time.
  • AnneMK5
    AnneMK5 Posts: 110
    Options
    For most things if it's in a box, bag or bottle it processed to some degree. Definitely start reading labels. Stay away from high fructose corn syrup and hydrogenated oils. Most packaged things are loaded in sugar and/or salt.
    The closer a food is to it natural form the better it's going to be for you. A fresh peach is way better than canned peaches.
    There are some processed things that are almost impossible to avoid like salad dressings and your products. Again, read labels.
  • unsuspectingfish
    Options
    Its SO expensive, but totally worth it.

I actually spend less on clean foods than I ever did on processed foods. I mean, $4 for a one-serving, frozen dinner vs. $4 for about two pounds of rice that is going to last a month or so? I have to shop more often for the fresh stuff, but I spend less per trip than I ever did before, and I can go for several days without actually having to go to the store.
  • azsuzi
    azsuzi Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Well... your crackers, Fiber 1 and Instant Breakfast would definitely be considered processed. I think of it this way - eat like a caveman. That means fresh meats, fish, chicken, eggs, fresh fruits and veggies. A caveman would not have found canned peaches hanging from the trees :)
  • britterbrittney
    Options
    The fruits and veggies is what gets expensive for me. But, you are right about rice and stuff. If you are feeding a family, the fresh stuff is what adds up. Flax, almonds, pb, veggies, are my staples. It just adds up for me.
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    If you want to avoid processed foods altogether you are likely going to have to give up some time for it. There are always checks and balances in these things. Anything that is not in it's raw form is technically processed--it's been through some type of process. This would even include yogurt and cheese, anything boxed, bottled or preserved in any way. In all honesty, to truly avoid processed foods altogether would be incredibly difficult unless you lived on a farm and kept your own animals and garden. However, eating less nutrient deficient junk food would probably be more manageable and seems to be what others people are suggesting. :)
  • britterbrittney
    Options
    If you want to avoid processed foods altogether you are likely going to have to give up some time for it.

So true
  • bigislandgrrl
    bigislandgrrl Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    As far as cheese goes:

Hard cheeses, cheddar, swiss, provolone, mozzerella, etc are not overly processed, aside from the process of making cheese from dairy, which essentially is a pretty "natural" process.

Velveeta and American Cheese, Cheese Whiz, cheese in a jar, nacho cheese etc... These are what you are avoiding. They are sodium laden and arent real cheese. They are chemicals and food stabilizers that are designed to merely TASTE like cheese.

This should give you an idea about anything else.

Does it come from nature to some degree or did some Willy Wonka/Playdough machine squirt it out into that lil celyphane package?
  • unsuspectingfish
    Options
    The fruits and veggies is what gets expensive for me. But, you are right about rice and stuff. If you are feeding a family, the fresh stuff is what adds up. Flax, almonds, pb, veggies, are my staples. It just adds up for me.

If you're feeding a family, definitely. I forget, sometimes, how much easier it is for me to feed only myself vs. someone feeding a whole family. If you have the option of buying from a bulk food section, though, I definitely suggest that for nuts and seeds and the like. It's WAY cheaper than buy that stuff pre-packaged. That was a life-saver for me when I was unemployed for a bit after college.