Kicking the diet soda habit - how long?

Options

Replies

• PrincessJuls
    PrincessJuls Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I quit soda/fizzy drinks in April 2015 when I started suffering acid reflux n blotting, I did it cold turkey I also stopped coffee
  • Clawsal
    Clawsal Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    Clawsal wrote: »
    ...Actually it is not the sugar but the acidity that is the most problematic in soda...
    ETA: My dentist also warned me against my diet soda drinking habits. My mum is at risk for osteoporosis and her doctor also warned her about drinking soda.

Yes. It is harmful to both teeth and bones. The phosphoric acid in cola-type soda leaches calcium from your bones. Sodas without phosphoric acid, like lemon-lime types, aren't associated with this leaching effect. It's still acidic and not good for the tooth enamel, though.

For the longest time I actually couldn't believe that soda had an effect on bones, since there is no contact between the teeth and the coke. I thought this was an hoax - such as aspartam causes cancer - until my mum came back from the doctor with an explanation and a smug face.
  • PrincessJuls
    Options
    Y does this only post a tiny part of ur reply!!!! It's so annoying (sorry there was a lot more to my reply)
  • PrincessJuls
    Options
    The long n short of it is I only drink water now and I don't miss soda any more (and I hated naked water before) I've amazed myself
  • PrincessJuls
    Options
    I got my acid reflux under control in December 2015 and weaned myself of the meds but I would never go back to drinking soda
  • Pseudocyber
    Pseudocyber Posts: 312 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I used to drink a lot of coke zero, pepsi max, diet coke if I had to. I just wanted to wean myself off of craving "sweet". it wasn't the diet drinks, it was the other sweet and "carby" foods that went with the diet drinks - pizza, fried, salty carbs, etc.

I don't know, a week or two?

For motivation: more $$$

I'll have one from time to time - but I'll consciously reach for a water vs. diet drink now. They're A LOT cheaper - go to a restaurant, and a diet drink is $2. Family of four - $10 in drinks (including tip). Whereas, the server does the same work for water, which is FREE. Family eating out can save $100 in a month, if you can convince/dictate them to drink water vs. Sweet Tea/Sodas. Don't even get me started on beer. :) Or buying them at the grocery store, I was looking for deals, like buy 2 12 packs, get 3 free so it "only" costs $.25/12 oz. If you "only" drink 4/day @ .25 (pretty cheap) your habit is costing you $365/year or more.

Im including my drink tracking chart. It's an eye test - but green is zero, red is >0. :)

71w52i9znczg.jpg

As the Water Boy said ... "You Can Do It!!!"

https://youtu.be/VZ2HcRl4wSk

• Pseudocyber
    Pseudocyber Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Ps. Black Coffee is my "allowed" vice.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    If it's the caffeine you're after, how about treating yourself to a coffee every so often? I'm not aware of that affecting teeth or bones although, as with anything, moderation is key.
  • blopmiyers
    blopmiyers Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I entirely stopped drinking soda when I decided to eat healthy. I completely forgot about it in about a month or 2. Replaced it with loads of water or milk with occasional coffee. I can't even drink the stuff if I want to now, tastes too sugary for my liking
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking coke zero every day for 5 years and it has taken a toll on my teeth (I had cavities!) and I am worried about my bones in the future too.

I quit cold turkey and two weeks later I still want to drink coke.

So for those of you who have quit: how long until the "cravings" stopped?
    What was helpful?
    And for motivation, what were some benefits of quitting?
    Why are you worried about your bones? And people get cavities usually because of poor oral hygiene.

Personally I've drank diet soda for over 25+ years and neither cavities or weak bones have been an issue due to good oral hygiene and good stress on my bones so they stay strong.

However if you want a good benefit from quitting it, you save money on buying it and................well that's about all I can think of.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Clawsal
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I have been drinking coke zero every day for 5 years and it has taken a toll on my teeth (I had cavities!) and I am worried about my bones in the future too.

What was helpful?
    Why are you worried about your bones? And people get cavities usually because of poor oral hygiene.

Personally I've drank diet soda for over 25+ years and neither cavities or weak bones have been an issue due to good oral hygiene and good stress on my bones so they stay strong.

However if you want a good benefit from quitting it, you save money on buying it and................well that's about all I can think of.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I refer you to the previous answers as to why Coke zero isn't good for your teeth and bones.

As far as personal experiences go, my dad has smoked for the past 40 years and he doesn't have cancer. Does it mean there is no causal effect between smoking and cancer?
  • Clawsal
    Options
    I used to drink a lot of coke zero, pepsi max, diet coke if I had to. I just wanted to wean myself off of craving "sweet". it wasn't the diet drinks, it was the other sweet and "carby" foods that went with the diet drinks - pizza, fried, salty carbs, etc.

I don't know, a week or two?

For motivation: more $$$

I'll have one from time to time - but I'll consciously reach for a water vs. diet drink now. They're A LOT cheaper - go to a restaurant, and a diet drink is $2. Family of four - $10 in drinks (including tip). Whereas, the server does the same work for water, which is FREE. Family eating out can save $100 in a month, if you can convince/dictate them to drink water vs. Sweet Tea/Sodas. Don't even get me started on beer. :) Or buying them at the grocery store, I was looking for deals, like buy 2 12 packs, get 3 free so it "only" costs $.25/12 oz. If you "only" drink 4/day @ .25 (pretty cheap) your habit is costing you $365/year or more.

Im including my drink tracking chart. It's an eye test - but green is zero, red is >0. :)

71w52i9znczg.jpg

As the Water Boy said ... "You Can Do It!!!"

https://youtu.be/VZ2HcRl4wSk

It does cost quite a bit of money!
  • kristikitter
    kristikitter Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I've given up Coca-Cola for Lent (just to prove I can do it, rather than out of any religious penance)... day 3 and I've stopped craving it. Cold water (sparkling!) and coffee are enough at the moment. The caffeine and the fizz effect are what I get a kick out of.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

What was helpful?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I've always been on 'team diet soda' over here, but even though I practice good oral hygiene, I'm going in next week to get my 4th crown done (and need to have 2 more done after that sigh...). Those buggers cost $975 a piece. And pretty much all my teeth except front ones have fillings in them. I blame it on growing up with well water, poor dental care as a child because we only went into the dentist for problems/no cleanings (many of the fillings were done as a kid and then those have progressed into needing new/bigger fillings and now crowns), and then yes drinking soda in one form or another since I was a kid, (I have pictures of me as a toddler holding a bottle filled with pop). I've also had more and more sensitivity in my teeth.

OP- I get where you're coming from. Maybe it's not the soda causing teeth issues, but there's no harm in cutting it out. I've actually just started drinking coffee and I'll be reducing my 4-5 cans a day of diet soda, to just one at lunch. This morning was the first time since I was probably a kid, that I didn't start the day with a can of soda. To my shock, the world didn't end :)

And oh my goodness-I was going through several 12pk cans of Coke brand diet soda every week, which are $4-$5 a case. Last night I bought my first canister of coffee and a 200 serving was $6! I'm going to save millions by switching lol.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried to quit. I haven't had any issues with my teeth due to just the diet soda I drink. I do brush as needed, floss and use mouth wash. I would like to cut back on diet soda but its one of the things I really love so I don't want to cut it out completely and then fall off the wagon because I'm having to limit myself. Some people have cake, pizza, ice cream, alcohol, whatever and my thing is diet soda for now. :)
  • metalmeow1
    metalmeow1 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure diet soda had little to no impact on your cavities. Cavities are caused by bacteria which live off the sugar residue of what you eat in your mouth.
    SODA DESTROYS TEETH. I'm now missing several teeth because my parents let me drink soda all my childhood and teens. It's the acidity. Now if you're having Mountain Dew (the WORST) it's coupled with acid and insane amounts of sugar, you may as well plan for dentures at 30 if you drink Dew. Juice will do it too.
    Also, you're wrong. Brushing immediately after eating is very damaging to your teeth. I once believed in the myth too, and brushed after, accelerating decay. (After you eat your enamel becomes softer. Wait at least an hour to brush. Light flossing is okay.)

To answer OP, I stopped drinking regular soda 10 years ago (and lost 30lbs in a few months without trying!) I switched to diet, but stopped drinking that 5 years ago.
    How did I quit my beloved Diet Cherry Dr. Pepper? Gradually and unintended! As I became more health conscious, I opted more for an occasional Propel (flavored water) or Vitamin Water. I started drinking those more and more and realised I just didn't care for soda anymore; I'd tried it again and it tasted like nasty syrup.

When I realised I'd quit without even trying, I noticed that I felt a Hell of a lot better. I wasn't sluggish, I had more energy than I knew what to do with.
    Your tastebuds will literally change after you've been eating right for a while. Find something healthier and slowly incorporate it more and more into your diet and you may just find you no longer desire it!
    If you don't... Don't worry. My grandmother is 80 and still drinks her Diet Pepsi and she's in better shape than my mother because she eats right. Some people like soda (Diet [is] feasible) some folks like coffee. If the majority of your diet is healthy, then a few cans of diet pop a week aren't going to kill you :)

Also, don't beat yourself up. Everyone needs a certain amount of happiness to make life worth living. So drink your damn soda if it makes you happy! All the best ♥
  • metalmeow1
    Options
    blopmiyers wrote: »
    I entirely stopped drinking soda when I decided to eat healthy. I completely forgot about it in about a month or 2. Replaced it with loads of water or milk with occasional coffee. I can't even drink the stuff if I want to now, tastes too sugary for my liking

Yep! Congratulations!
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    For motivation: I've read that diet drinks devastate your gut's microbiome, leading to all kinds of problems.
    I've also read that the artificial sweetener can spike your blood sugar. That makes no scientific sense initially, but evidently there's something to it.

I quit last Fall, and it took at least a month to get over it and begin to really like the taste of water. Now I enjoy drinking water with my meals, and even after my meal, while I'm waiting for the family to stop eating.

Buy yourself a variety of nice glasses to drink from. For me, it really makes a difference if I like my glass.

Based on how many people chug diet soda all day long, yet manage to remain relatively healthy, I highly doubt it has any type of devastating effect on anything. It does not spike blood sugar. Blood sugar spikes are not something to be afraid of anyways unless you're diabetic.

• metalmeow1
    Options
    I guess I miss the caffeine effects. But also, when I am thirsty I automatically want to drink coke and not water.
    It was the same for me. I went out and specifically bought flavored waters enriched with B vitamins (no "crash" headaches, no unnecessary toll on heart etc.) The energy lasts all day and isn't gone in an hour.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Thank you for your input! Actually it is not the sugar but the acidity that is the most problematic in soda. So it makes sense that diet would have just the same impact as regular. I see a lot of people are drinking vinegar these days for weight loss :s. I wonder if doing this long term also has an effect on their teeth.

Right now I am just dealing with the habit - tired, thirsty? - I want to reach for a coke. Surprisingly I had no withdrawal symptoms such as headaches.

ETA: My dentist also warned me against my diet soda drinking habits. My mum is at risk for osteoporosis and her doctor also warned her about drinking soda.

Just a comment. I started drinking Diet Coke when it came out. Yeah...that long ago. I'm old. ;) I have never "given it up". I did stop drinking it at work, I drink water now, and have for a couple of years. I still drink DC at home, and if I go out to eat (which is rare). I have the normal amount of dental work, for being 61, I think. My dentist has never said anything about drinking diet soda. Ever. Also, I just had a bone density test and I have excellent bones. So....I think you are worrying needlessly. Just brush your teeth regularly. :) But drinking water is always a good thing!