Having trouble reaching new macro goals

Options
endermako
endermako Posts: 787 Member
My dietitian wants to try a new macro goal for me 40% carbs, 35% protein, 25% fat. I'm struggling with finding the right foods that are low carb but still provide adequate fiber. Do you have any recommendations? I'm already sick of eating broccoli, strawberries, and sliced turkey to squeeze in as much protein as possible. Any subs that fit similarly would be much appreciated.
My Daily goal is 1500 cal, 150g Carbs, 42g Fat, 131g Protein, 25g Fiber

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Why so high protein and so low fat? If you're going low carb, you go high fat.
  • CaireenKinley
    CaireenKinley Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I eat similar macros and struggle with fiber too. I eat lentils as a carb sometimes, and frozen green peas pretty often. Lentils are really high in fiber, peas higher than broccoli. I need to follow this thread for more ideas :)
  • kylecpatterson
    kylecpatterson Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Green beans 70 calories and 15 grams of fiber. Why are you having trouble?
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Ha, I have mine set the same. However I hardly ever meet those percentages. Usually if I'm within 3 or 4 % accuracy I'm happy. Chicken is high in protein and low in fat. Just pack chicken and eat it whenever - breakfast, snack, etc. Good luck
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    My macros and calories aren't far off of that. Lunch is 8oz chicken with broccoli and rice (different sauces can make this dish tasty for months at a time). Snack is a protein shake for me because I'm usually headed back to work from the gym, sometimes I have a protein bar or a breakfast sandwich as well. Dinner is often a hamburger, which can be done with leaner or fattier beef depending on prior food for the day. Sometimes I'll make a taco salad or have fish for dinner.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    my food diary is open - but I'm a rather eratic eater - I also take in significantly more protein that you do
  • endermako
    Options
    The original macros were not effective. I was 50/30/20 and I was only losing a quarter of a poind a week. I work out too much to lower my calories any further. I used to be a calories in, calories out kind of girl. But my lack of weight loss makes no sense. I weigh things raw with my food scale and take accurate measurements so I know I'm eating well, and I drink about 96oz of water daily and make I meet my fiber goal. Something is off and we are trying to figure it out. I will try green beans, I was able to sub out asparagus last night for dinner and that worked pretty well. I'll keep trying.
  • oxers
    oxers Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Yeah, if you're going low carb, I'd look hard at your fat intake. Your body has to have something to burn. Fiber shouldn't be a problem if you're eating enough veg, though. Spinach and avocado everywhere!
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I'm confused...... 40% carbs/150 gram isn't low carb.
    As mentioned, if you're getting some veggies in, fiber shouldn't be much of a problem espically with those macros. You could even throw in some potaotes, oats, bars, etc.

You didn't ask, but-
    ETA- What are your stats? Are you weighing everything with a food scale? 1500 calories seems very low for someone who works out a lot and shouldn't be dropping calories any more unless you are really tiny.
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    are you eating back workout calories?
  • endermako
    Options

My dietitian said I should eat back my calories yet, but we may start that if my weight doesn't change within the next 3 weeks.

• endermako
    Options

I'm confused...... 40% carbs/150 gram isn't low carb.
    As mentioned, if you're getting some veggies in, fiber shouldn't be much of a problem espically with those macros. You could even throw in some potaotes, oats, bars, etc.

You didn't ask, but-
    ETA- What are your stats? Are you weighing everything with a food scale? 1500 calories seems very low for someone who works out a lot and shouldn't be dropping calories any more unless you are really tiny.

I'm 5'4 175lbs, it's not low carb but it's 50g less than I was eating at 50/30/20 ratio. I was eating at 1390 for two months and I had muscle breakdown so we bumped it to 1500.
  • need2belean
    need2belean Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    My dietitian wants to try a new macro goal for me 40% carbs, 35% protein, 25% fat. I'm struggling with finding the right foods that are low carb but still provide adequate fiber. Do you have any recommendations? I'm already sick of eating broccoli, strawberries, and sliced turkey to squeeze in as much protein as possible. Any subs that fit similarly would be much appreciated.
    My Daily goal is 1500 cal, 150g Carbs, 42g Fat, 131g Protein, 25g Fiber

This is very easy to do. These macros are almost identical to mine. Add me and take a look at the diary.
  • deannalfisher
    Options

My dietitian said I should eat back my calories yet, but we may start that if my weight doesn't change within the next 3 weeks.

i'm assuming your should should be shouldn't?

did your dietician give you the calorie/macros goals or did you use MFP? because if you are basing it off MFP, their calorie goals are based on the idea of eating back workout calories (the process is called NEAT)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    The original macros were not effective. I was 50/30/20 and I was only losing a quarter of a poind a week.
    1500 calories sounds about right. If you aren't losing at the expected rate, you are either logging incorrectly, or not measuring your weight correctly. Your weight can fluctuate a lot in a short time - you need to weigh yourself regularly and consistently for maybe a month to see the real weight trend. You also need to weigh and log everything you eat and use correct entries every time to know exectly how many calories you are getting in.

Macro split has no importance for rate of weight loss. Carb reduction can make you lose some water, and more fat on the expense of carbs may make you feel more full and satisfied, which in turn makes adherance to calorie allotment and diligent logging easier. But it's the adherance to calorie allotment and diligent logging that makes you lose weight.

I work out too much to lower my calories any further. I used to be a calories in, calories out kind of girl. But my lack of weight loss makes no sense. I weigh things raw with my food scale and take accurate measurements so I know I'm eating well, and I drink about 96oz of water daily and make I meet my fiber goal. Something is off and we are trying to figure it out.
    CICO still works, but if you are lighter now than you used to be, you'll need to be more accurate and patient. Is there something about your diet that you don't like? Even a small thing that makes you want to rebel can make a diet useless, and a weight loss diet is useless if you're not sticking to the right amount of calories. Doing too many unnecessary things while not doing enough of what you want, and doing that for too long, will make even the strongest break.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    If you aren't losing weight as expected then it's far more likely to be your calorie intake that's the issue - can't see that making minor macro adjustments is going to be effective at all. Especially if those changes make you eat food you don't enjoy as much! Adherence is very, very important for success.

Would expect you to lose on 1500 at your weight but strongly suspect your logging isn't accurate and you are probably eating more.
    First step I would suggest is tighten up on your logging. Ditch measuring cups (horribly inaccurate) and weigh your food instead.

Second step why don't you discuss with your dietician setting protein and fat as minimum goals instead of fixed ratios which are needlessly restrictive? Once you hit those minimums the rest of that day's intake can come from whatever macros suits you on the day. Gives far more flexibility.
  • Lou_trition
    Lou_trition Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hi, take a look at my diary, I'm on a similar breakdown on my low days..... And I (for the most part) hit my fibre targets.
  • Lou_trition
    Lou_trition Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    The original macros were not effective. I was 50/30/20 and I was only losing a quarter of a poind a week. I work out too much to lower my calories any further. I used to be a calories in, calories out kind of girl. But my lack of weight loss makes no sense. I weigh things raw with my food scale and take accurate measurements so I know I'm eating well, and I drink about 96oz of water daily and make I meet my fiber goal. Something is off and we are trying to figure it out. I will try green beans, I was able to sub out asparagus last night for dinner and that worked pretty well. I'll keep trying.

Are you gaining muscle though? and looking leaner?
    I was 'eating too little' and couldnt lose weight... my nutritionist has now worked out a balance. My weightloss is not linear and I go up and down daily but on average Ive lost 0.7lb a week since starting with her 8 weeks ago, but the difference in my body is insane! And Ive dropped calories to be just a little over what you are.
    Sometimes you have to prioritise either a number on a scale, or looking good... and after years and years, Im learning that the number on the scale means nothing. Its all about body composition and your body needs food! Im going to ask if I can start reverse dieting soon- I'm finding that I'm not fuelled enough for my workouts and I'm hungry. quater of a pound of fat loss is a great amount to lose each week- people who lose a few pounds a week are generally losing water!
  • endermako
    Options

Are you gaining muscle though? and looking leaner?
    I was 'eating too little' and couldnt lose weight... my nutritionist has now worked out a balance. My weightloss is not linear and I go up and down daily but on average Ive lost 0.7lb a week since starting with her 8 weeks ago, but the difference in my body is insane! And Ive dropped calories to be just a little over what you are.
    Sometimes you have to prioritise either a number on a scale, or looking good... and after years and years, Im learning that the number on the scale means nothing. Its all about body composition and your body needs food! Im going to ask if I can start reverse dieting soon- I'm finding that I'm not fuelled enough for my workouts and I'm hungry. quater of a pound of fat loss is a great amount to lose each week- people who lose a few pounds a week are generally losing water!

I'll keep working at it, after my new measurements were take. Yesterday I've lost four inches and gone down 1% on my BMI and my body fat % so I'll try to not look at the scale as much.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Shrimp and scallops are great low fat/high protein foods.
    For fiber/fat, I have chia seeds in my breakfast oatmeal.