Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    annacole94 wrote: »
    How do you know you don't have any health concerns? Honestly, if you're THAT sure you're right, it's time to consult a dietitian and a doctor. If you are correct, science wants you to help end malnutrition.

^^This.
    I think it could be a combination of many things..
    I don't recommend eating less, but i just think that taking the numbers like they should be fact is why so many people have a hard time with the CICO process.. We can use everything we can to try and be as close as we can to what the CICO is for us but in the end it's all a guess and if we don't get the results we want we tweak until we do. Since weight loss itself isn't linear, it's often said that we should just keep a weight trend app so that we can see not only fluctuations but that the over all trend is down.. i went 5 weeks with absolutely no loss when i was 213 pounds, despite weighing food, walking everywhere, going to the gym.. scale did not move. It did eventually though.. and you might find next 3 months that the scale might move faster then expected.

^^And this.

Also have you taken a diet break at any stage?

Yes I'm that sure I'm right - my tracking is accurate. In fact if anything I will round up (37g feta becomes 40g). I have been doing this for 4 years. I have been to the doctor, had the blood tests.

Yes, I took a diet "break" early last year. I had surgery (tubes tied). I stopped tracking for about 3 months. I did not binge eat, but I did eat a bit more than I normally would. I also gained 14kg in that time.

Yes, I have happy scale which tracks weightloss over time. I have lost 37kg in 4 years. Other than the 3 months previously mentioned I was accurately and diligently tracking that whole time.

3 months ago I dropped from 1700 cals to 1460 cals. I am still losing at the same rate (about half a lb a week). I was actually shocked to see that I'm averaging 900 cals a day net. I walk to and from the bus - about 3km in all, plus other exercise and I just eat my 1460 cals and not worry about it.

I would seriously consider another break. Your body was going through a lot when you did the last one plus that was some time ago. A couple of weeks at maintenance may do you the world of good. If it doesn't then you need to dig deeper because something is affecting your CO.

An interesting thread (linked in the post after) and a good concept in theory, but I don't think I can survive gaining any kgs, considering how long it took to get rid of them. I dare not go above about 1700 to 1800 cals a day, and to be honest that extra 350 is really neither here nor there - certainly not a "break". I'm wondering if a day here and there might be okay. As in, I'm seriously about 2000 calories under my target for the week, maybe I could manage a 700 calorie Caesar salad or something on the weekend.

As @GottaBurnEmAll said a diet break is eating at maintenance. Why not just try it for a couple of weeks? Given how long you've been at a deficit for I doubt a day here and there at higher cals will be enough. But you could adopt that strategy going forward.

I understand that, but what is "maintenance"? Last time I took a break I know - based on 25 years of counting calories - that I would not have often hit more than 2000 a day and yet I gained 14kg in 3 months. According to the calculations in the first post I should be able to maintain at 2207. I guarantee I can't - I'll gain weight. Hence why I said I dare not eat more than 1700 to 1800 cals a day (which would be about 1400 net).

Well, if you gain weight at that, then there's something off in the calculations of your deficit, perhaps.

Let's get to some real data here:

How many gross calories are you eating a day?

What exercise is your Misfit basing that net on? Is it all step-based?
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I noted you stated that your MFP is set to sedentary as a way to offset inaccuracies in Fitbit exercise calculations. In which case your calorie maintenance level could be higher in reality than what the MFP has calculated. It appears too, that since you don't eat back your exercise calories thus resulting in some pretty low net calorie days, that you are actually pretty active. The sedentary setting would also mean that your calorie goal for weight loss (1460/ day) is lower than needed...thus resulting in higher weight loss than expected. I'd double check your activity setting. The inaccuracies are probably not enough to warrant setting MFP to sedentary instead of active.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    You're chronically underfeeding with super low net calories...you're stressing your body out and jacking your hormones up. Adaptive thermogenesis is a thing...so you don't die...your body is pretty good at that.

That presumes her data is accurate. I'm not so sure it is.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    You're chronically underfeeding with super low net calories...you're stressing your body out and jacking your hormones up. Adaptive thermogenesis is a thing...so you don't die...your body is pretty good at that.

That presumes her data is accurate. I'm not so sure it is.

True...
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    if you're 100% sure about your CI, the easiest and most obvious explanation is the the CO portion of your equation is being overestimated. And it's always an estimate. This is why you have to learn what works best for you as far as calorie intake vs. exercise.

This. Toss that tracker in the drawer for a month or two. You said you weren't eating back exercise calories anyway. Set your calorie goal, log accurately, and if you do exercise you should be eating back those calories. Use several calculators if need be to estimate an accurate amount of calories burned and then eat back only half of them. My wife had similar issues at first, it was her fitbit. The stupid thing was giving her steps for no reason all day long. She could tap her foot and gain steps. They just aren't accurate in my opinion. We tossed it out, and low and behold manual tracking and just using her phone in her pocket for intentional walks for steps and she lost weight at the average rate expected. We have not gone back to a fitbit for her, and probably won't. I always used my phone as a step counter, an app I trust and a HR strap for logging cardio exercise and CICO worked for me. I have no desire to use an activity tracker and feel it would likely set me back if I did.
  • JohnDavid1969
    JohnDavid1969 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I second (and third) the comments about the Fitbit/MisFit tracking accuracy. Activity trackers - even the best ones - are notoriously inaccurate for correctly estimating energy expenditure - especially if it isn't measuring your heart rate (I'm an endurance 'athlete' in training and I use heart rate zones when I'm cycling or running to measure my effort/energy output, and it's also made a big, big difference in terms of knowing how many calories I'm using over a given period). And even with a heart rate monitor, you're still estimating (using a power meter when cycling, for example, gives even closer estimates to how many calories you're actually burning) but it's far, far closer than anything that I get when I'm just using my fitbit.
  • Spliner1969
    Options
    I second (and third) the comments about the Fitbit/MisFit tracking accuracy. Activity trackers - even the best ones - are notoriously inaccurate for correctly estimating energy expenditure - especially if it isn't measuring your heart rate (I'm an endurance 'athlete' in training and I use heart rate zones when I'm cycling or running to measure my effort/energy output, and it's also made a big, big difference in terms of knowing how many calories I'm using over a given period). And even with a heart rate monitor, you're still estimating (using a power meter when cycling, for example, gives even closer estimates to how many calories you're actually burning) but it's far, far closer than anything that I get when I'm just using my fitbit.

Agreed. For steady state cardio, and even HIIT, you can't beat a HRM for estimating calories burned. My equipment at home measures based on power output/resistance and always gives me a higher reading than what the HRM strap plus my app gives me. I go with the lower of the two estimates and still figure it's overrated by somewhere in the tune of 20%. That gets me pretty close. Of course for weight training, a HRM is pretty worthless unless you're doing something in between sets to keep your energy expenditure and HR up. At the end of my workout my app with the HRM strap will read somewhere in the 1100-1200 calories burned range, I figure for accuracy it's likely only 700-800 calories max, maybe less if I didn't put forth my best effort.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Agreed. For steady state cardio, and even HIIT, you can't beat a HRM for estimating calories burned. My equipment at home measures based on power output/resistance and always gives me a higher reading than what the HRM strap plus my app gives me. I go with the lower of the two estimates and still figure it's overrated by somewhere in the tune of 20%. That gets me pretty close. Of course for weight training, a HRM is pretty worthless unless you're doing something in between sets to keep your energy expenditure and HR up. At the end of my workout my app with the HRM strap will read somewhere in the 1100-1200 calories burned range, I figure for accuracy it's likely only 700-800 calories max, maybe less if I didn't put forth my best effort.

Re. the bold.
    Sorry that's not true in the slightest.
    HRMs are a vague average at best unless calibrated to meet people's particular MHR, VO2 max etc.
    I've seen two people producing the same power (steady state BTW) and one had a HR almost 50% higher than the other.....
    Start using them for intervals and they are even more wildly inaccurate.
    My very accurately calibrated FT60 would be out by 25% doing interval training.

Wish people would stop putting such faith in devices that end up being used completely inappropriately. HRMs can only count heartbeats, not calories.
  • Spliner1969
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    I've seen two people producing the same power (steady state BTW) and one had a HR almost 50% higher than the other.....

So you're saying that the person with the HR that is 50% higher isn't burning more calories than the person with the HR that is 50% lower? The heart is a muscle, it's working twice as hard, and I assume that means it's burning more calories working harder to push oxygen around the body. I'll agree that everyone is different, but I'll trust a calorie estimate based on my HR over time over a machine's estimate based on power/RPM/speed any day of the week. A good calculator/app/device will calculate the calories burned using time, type of activity, and the HR, not just the HR. Not trying to argue with you at all, but I can say it's more accurate for me based on my own observations over the period of the last six to eight month's maintaining my weight. In that sense, I will agree, it might not be as accurate for someone else who's in better or worse shape, or taller/heavier/older/younger/etc. Only way to be sure is to compare the data over time to your real world results as @AliceDark explained.

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Nearly every time someone posts their tracker's calories (fitbit example) I always look at them and go "yeah, right lol". The number of times I see someone post they burn 1000+ calories for walking 5 or 10 km I just have to laugh a little. Maybe validate that your Misfit is actually even close.