New to long distance cardio - issues & advice

Options
Pseudocyber
Pseudocyber Posts: 312 Member
edited March 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm just starting to get into long distance cardio - "power" walking > 5 miles, distance walking 1/2 marathon 13 miles.

I've noticed a couple of things and looking for advice:
  1. Blister under the ball of my feet - I'm forming caluses on toes. Also a blister under the ball of my feet
  2. Chafing - between thighs and in groin, got come good compression shorts which seem to have fixed this one. But also @ss crack?!?! And nipples? (I'm a guy, and my "moobs" are getting smaller ... but still ...)
I'm up to walking <15 minute miles.

Any advice?

Replies

• Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Have you been fitted for shoes in a running store?
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,951 Member
    Options
    In addition to being fitted for shoes, I find I have to wear two pair of socks when I hike ... a thin pair first and then a heavier wool pair over them.

• Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Yeah I was alos going to mention a good pair of socks. I just started getting into running (C25K app) and I got a good pair of shoes with a heel insert and some awesome padded, wicking socks. I'm used them a dozen times already and it's made a WORLD of difference. No blisters, no hurting from bad support. Highly suggest it. Not cheap, but I think very worth it.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    1. properly fitted shoes
    2. decent running socks
    3. (compression) base layer t-shirt
    4. body glide as necessary

I've pretty much always run wearing base layers (both top and bottom) and my body glide is gathering dust somewhere as I never needed it.

Edited: doesn't necessarily have to be a compression base layer rather than just a base layer - that's just my preference.
  • CranstonJ2016
    CranstonJ2016 Posts: 142 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    So make sure you have the right shoes AND socks! I found my regular work socks to cause chafing on my feet, the blisters WILL happen, but the redness and soreness shouldn't happen once you get your runners callous on. I remember blood in socks when I first started running and huge water blisters on the balls of my feet, now they are just hard callouses, no more blisters or blood in my shoes. Make sure your shoes are tightly laced, but not too tight because your feet will swell once you start running which causes an uncomfy feeling. You just have to see what you like, my sister in law runs with her shoes super loose, I like my shoes tight....it all depends on what works for you.

In terms of chafing, i put deodorant on my thighs when they chafe, and I have a sports bra that does it, i think its because I've lost weight so its a touch too big now. So make sure your bra properly supports you while you run. I also have a shirt that chafes my arm pits :sweat_smile: I just avoid wearing that shirt when I run...
  • sbrandt37
    sbrandt37 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I've never run a marathon and probably never will, but chafed nipples is a common problem for marathoners and if you Google it I'm sure you will find answers. The only one I recall seeing (for guys) is band-aids over the nipples.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    bodyglide or similar.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    2 pieces of micro pore tape or a compression vest for the nipples issue.
  • Pseudocyber
    Options
    Thanks everyone - I did get fitted for shoes, but that was years ago and they're falling apart. New good running shoes is high on my list to buy. Also better socks. And Body Glide. :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Blister under the ball of my feet - I'm forming caluses on toes. Also a blister under the ball of my feet

I'm a marathon and Ultra runner, so reasonably familiar.

As far as blisters are concerned, shoe fit is important, as is wearing appropriate socks. For short distances, up to 10 miles, a thinner sock works for me. For longer I tend to go for merino wool with a bit of cushioning under the ball of the foot.
    Chafing - between thighs and in groin, got come good compression shorts which seem to have fixed this one. But also @ss crack?!?! And nipples? (I'm a guy, and my "moobs" are getting smaller ... but still ...)

Vaseline or bodyglide will help, but largely I'd agree with the compression base layer suggestion. Any time I tried plasters or tape they came off very quickly
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    oh, and I forgot to add - Engo blister patches are great. You put them inside your shoes and they provide a non-friction surface. I use them between the insole and shoe, as I get blisters on my arches where they rub.
  • Pseudocyber
    Options
    The "blister" under my left ball of foot (about the size of a nickle) peeled off - I guess it's turning into a callous. :)
  • mreichard
    mreichard Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I always did band-aids for nipples before runs over about 90 minutes,but trim your hair if you have chest hair. If not, removing the bandaids can hurt.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting to get into long distance cardio - "power" walking > 5 miles, distance walking 1/2 marathon 13 miles.

I've noticed a couple of things and looking for advice:
    1. Blister under the ball of my feet - I'm forming caluses on toes. Also a blister under the ball of my feet
    2. Chafing - between thighs and in groin, got come good compression shorts which seem to have fixed this one. But also @ss crack?!?! And nipples? (I'm a guy, and my "moobs" are getting smaller ... but still ...)
    I'm up to walking <15 minute miles.

Any advice?

under foot blisters: If you are wearing cotton socks, don't. Get some athletic socks, which will be synthetic and/or wool.

• ronocnikral
    ronocnikral Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Also, you should keep your callouses "Soft" by doing foot soaks and self pedicures a couple times a week. Otherwise, you develop what is called a deep blister, under the callous and they can be very painful. Pick up a used copy of Vonhof's "Fixing your feet."
  • Pseudocyber
    Options
    Next issue - right side of left toe is swollen and painful to touch, soreness extends down around bottom (towards ankle) of toenail. Googling says ingrown toenail. But it's not ingrown. I think it started in some Keen hiking tennis shoes - I stopped walking distance in those, switched to old Brooks trail running shoes, that I did have fitted years ago. Pain and soreness isn't as bad, but persists. Left foot only. Will try to attach pic. fwi3v9koma97.jpg
  • ronocnikral
    ronocnikral Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Your feet look disgusting. Your shoes are most likely too small or at least it is a fitment issue. Your big toe nail looks like you trimmed it with a hatchet and is too long. The pain you are having is most likely going to be a lost toe nail.

Seriously, vonhofs book is cheap and addresses most of your issues you are bringing up.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    New good running shoes is high on my list to buy. :)

Not so fast. Most running shoes aren't ideal for walking, because of their raised heel, which puts more stress on the forefoot, causing numerous forefoot problems, as well as joint stress. Running store staff will look at you funny if you tell them this. Shoes for walking should have no raised heel. If skateboard shoes are comfy, go with those. If you must shop at running stores, go with a zero "heel to toe drop" option, like Altra. :+1:
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Ha! @Cherimoose I was just coming to say running shoes are not for race walking, or for regular walking as a primary form of cardio.

Get fitted for a pair of walking shoes (not hiking style) There is a difference in the cushioning, and a heel roll at the back of the sole to enable the correct strike and roll for walking.

I do a couple of 10kms a year (ave 90min) and unfortunately can't get walkers because of tiny feet, size 2. I make do with the flattest children's runners I can find without a Disney character.

With regards the chafing, especially through sweat build up in your groin, butt, armpits etc. If it isn't clearing up try canestin. It is an anti fungal used by women for yeast infections . When I was going to India my travel doc recommended it for any sweat rash in skin folds. It worked well, and worked fast.

Socks, I know nothing.

Cheers, h.