New to KETO Diet.

Options
Hello!!
I've started the KETO Diet on Monday. The first 3 days I lost 5.5 #. (186.4 - 180.4) So jazzed'. I'm stuck at 180.4. I haven't been drinking as much as I should. It's getting better. Has anyone baked any cookies, or made the pancakes? I'm so tired of eggs. LOL.

Replies

• shiri171
    shiri171 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hey well done, but just realise you won't lose weight this fast. I'm week two of this diet and it isnt easy but ultimately it's worth it! Don't focus so much on the weight because it fluctuates and lt could make u lose motivation. Just go for it! Alas the food is rather limited bút you'll soon grow to love eggs lol. Good luck
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You can look at www.theproteinchef.co . He has a few keto/Low carb recipes for pancakes/waffles. But they may or may not fit depending how many carbs you consume.

Also, as noted already, fat loss should be measured over a month or more. The first few weeks will be your body adapting to not having carbs and depleting glycogen/water weight.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    You lost water weight from reducing your carb intake, now if you're in a calorie deficit your body is burning fat.

Weight loss is not linear and should be looked at in terms of weeks and months, not days.
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Ditto the group above.

Google keto pancakes. They are made from cream cheese, eggs and protein powder I think.

For cookies, try peanut butter cookies without sugar (try stevia).
  • oxers
    oxers Posts: 259 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I also started on Monday and I can happily say the fog is finally starting to lift! I feel AWESOME today. No idea how much water weight I've lost because honestly who cares, but I'm seeing stable energy levels and I feel like I can think better, which is nice.

I haven't broken away from eggs for breakfast just yet, but I don't feel like I'll be eating a lot of keto pancakes, either. I think it's just going to be harder if I keep trying to find carbs that aren't carbs instead of completely rebuilding the way I eat and the things I want. I was thinking of trying a nice chia seed pudding, though? I'm also coming off of ten years of strict vegetarianism so I'm not okay with bacon or steak or anything, but I'm warming a little to fish, so I was thinking maybe some nice smoked salmon with goat cheese in the morning? I'm also kind of feeling this half a cup of blackberries with heavy cream thing.

I dunno, it's been an adjustment but I'm starting to feel pretty good, so if I end up eating eggs, spinach and cheese the rest of my life, I'm okay with it.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    The Truth BUT total BUZZ kill--LOL
  • creyes4182
    creyes4182 Posts: 29 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Yeah that initial 5 is just water, stalls are normal just keep at it and you'll lose the weight. Almond flour is a must if you want to do Keto pancakes or cookies. I recommend erythritol as a sweetener. There's even a keto pizza that makes the crust with Parmesan, almond flour, cream cheese, and eggs. It's super easy to make. Just google fathead pizza.
  • JoAnnIsFit
    JoAnnIsFit Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Morning
  • JoAnnIsFit
    JoAnnIsFit Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!!!!!!
  • stripeybelly
    stripeybelly Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I personally don't think you can be successful long-term with low carb diets at all if you eat sugar substitutes, even stevia. Stop eating sweet stuff and your body will stop craving it. Once you kick it for good, in a few weeks you can SOMETIMES have an occasional sweet treat.
  • rckc1
    rckc1 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I lost over 100 lbs in 1 year on LCHF. That was 2 years ago. I"m not sure why you are eating so many eggs? I mean, eggs are great but there is a whole bunch of protein you can have. I am doing OKL (Optimal Ketogenic Living) macros now, still low carb, adequate protein, and fat. Am loving it.
  • inspirationstation
    inspirationstation Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    If you are tired of eggs, discover other ways to cook them or look for alternatives. Sausage and bacon are great on keto, if that is your kind of thing. Some mornings, I just eat a small avocado. If you do dairy, try a 1/2 cup of plain yogurt. Sometimes, I eat a little roast beef or tuna rolled up in lettuce too. The keto world is your oyster, so think out of the box re: breakfast foods.
  • RedSquadronLeader
    RedSquadronLeader Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hey try www.ruled.me for amazing recipes. As noted your initial loss is predominantly water from depleting your glycogen stores, but it can still be psychologically reassuring. If you want continued losses on keto, you'll have to pay attention to your calorie intake also -- establish where your maintenance is at, and then eat slightly below that.

I think when you just start out keto might seem restrictive or like you can only eat bacon and eggs, but I've actually increased my cooking repertoire and enjoy a wider variety of food doing keto. I'm really into Asian food, I'll just replace the rice or noodles with cauliflower rice or shiratake noodles. Imo, the grains and starches were more of a vessel for getting the delicious veggies, spices, and meat to my mouth anyway.

From that website I really like the Szechuan Chicken and the Apple Ham Flatbread. I do try to avoid keto sweets, since one of the primary benefits in my mind is avoidance of sugar cravings/binges, but I make them once in a while. Stevia/erythritol is great because it doesn't have an impact on your blood sugar, doesn't have the gastrointestinal disturbances of other sweeteners, and I recently read a study that the leaf extract can cure Lyme disease in its later stages. Haha I'm guessing that last one isn't a concern, also I'd majorly hedge that claim with "more research required."

Feel free to add me if you want, I keep my diary open.

Also, while I believe LCHF has numerous health benefits beyond weight management, remember that how you feel should always trump whatever nutritional approach you're trying to take - if you give it an honest try (a few weeks, get past the low energy initial phase) and find that it doesn't suit your lifestyle or satiate you, try something else. =) Good luck!
  • AFGP11
    AFGP11 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Be aware that all you lost was water weight (as others have mentioned) and also that if you go back to eating carbs that 5.5 pounds will come back on immediately. Like within 24 hours. You would have to burn 3500 calories to lose a pound of fat which I highly doubt you could do in a few days. That means you have to eat 3500 less calories than you burn in that time to lose that much in fat. Unless you normally eat 500,000 calories in a week, this is literally impossible.

I won't sit here and say keto is bad. If you never intend to eat carbs again, it can be great. It won't have permanant results if your plan is to lose to your goal weight and then go back to eating pancakes. Not to be rude, but you're only a few days in and already looking for carb substitutes. While many will tell you these cravings go away, I disagree. I tried it and stayed keto for several months. I thought about carbs ALL the time, had bad workouts and had to avoid all social engagements (alcohol is a carb! All types break down into pure sugar. People in keto cheat on this one all the time. Those people are not really in keto, so no wonder they act like it's great). It can really work, but it isn't a magic bullet. After your initial big water loss, you will lose weight just as slowly as on any other diet because losing weight is 100% about Calories in/Calories out. That is how keto works. You eat fewer calories than you burn... and do it while craving carbs all day. If you are athletic at all I strongly urge you to do some research on keto and not just the sources keto fans send you. There are major downsides to burning only fat for energy and one of them is the total loss of explosiveness. This is not a debatable fact but a scientific one. You will never see an Olympic athlete on keto and there is a reason for that.

I don't know many people who keep the weight off this way. All I wanted to do was eat bread and pasta. I went back to a normal diet and still lost the weight I wanted (60 pounds) but I ate things I really wanted. The truth is that no diet will work if you never teach yourself how to moderate. For me, keto was yet another fad diet way to avoid just learning how to eat less. The only thing that has worked is moderation though. Everything else was a holdover to my next binge.

But that is 100% my experience only.

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    AFGP11 wrote: »
    Be aware that all you lost was water weight (as others have mentioned) and also that if you go back to eating carbs that 5.5 pounds will come back on immediately. Like within 24 hours. You would have to burn 3500 calories to lose a pound of fat which I highly doubt you could do in a few days. That means you have to eat 3500 less calories than you burn in that time to lose that much in fat. Unless you normally eat 500,000 calories in a week, this is literally impossible.

I won't sit here and say keto is bad. If you never intend to eat carbs again, it can be great. It won't have permanant results if your plan is to lose to your goal weight and then go back to eating pancakes. Not to be rude, but you're only a few days in and already looking for carb substitutes. While many will tell you these cravings go away, I disagree. I tried it and stayed keto for several months. I thought about carbs ALL the time, had bad workouts and had to avoid all social engagements (alcohol is a carb! All types break down into pure sugar. People in keto cheat on this one all the time. Those people are not really in keto, so no wonder they act like it's great). It can really work, but it isn't a magic bullet. After your initial big water loss, you will lose weight just as slowly as on any other diet because losing weight is 100% about Calories in/Calories out. That is how keto works. You eat fewer calories than you burn... and do it while craving carbs all day. If you are athletic at all I strongly urge you to do some research on keto and not just the sources keto fans send you. There are major downsides to burning only fat for energy and one of them is the total loss of explosiveness. This is not a debatable fact but a scientific one. You will never see an Olympic athlete on keto and there is a reason for that.

I don't know many people who keep the weight off this way. All I wanted to do was eat bread and pasta. I went back to a normal diet and still lost the weight I wanted (60 pounds) but I ate things I really wanted. The truth is that no diet will work if you never teach yourself how to moderate. For me, keto was yet another fad diet way to avoid just learning how to eat less. The only thing that has worked is moderation though. Everything else was a holdover to my next binge.

I just wanted to point ut a couple of things I'm afraid I disagree with:

When you resume eating carbs you may regain some water weight, especially if you are taking care that your electrolyte levels are adequate. One may regain some water weight but it isn't for sure, and it isn't always 5.5 lbs. I tend to go up a pound. That's all.

Alcohol is not metabolized to sugar, as I understand it. It can actually lower BG and increase triglycerides (temporarily) because it delays digestion until your body has dealt with the alcohol. Diabetics can even use that to their advantage when dealing with dawn phenomenon.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    AFGP11 wrote: »

I just wanted to point ut a couple of things I'm afraid I disagree with:

When you resume eating carbs you may regain some water weight, especially if you are taking care that your electrolyte levels are adequate. One may regain some water weight but it isn't for sure, and it isn't always 5.5 lbs. I tend to go up a pound. That's all.

Alcohol is not metabolized to sugar, as I understand it. It can actually lower BG and increase triglycerides (temporarily) because it delays digestion until your body has dealt with the alcohol. Diabetics can even use that to their advantage when dealing with dawn phenomenon.

Can't the same can be said for fruit and full grains as for alcohol . The fibre in these delays digestion of sugar into the blood stream. This really sounds like an excuse to keep alcohol in a diet more than anything.

The reality is that we are all different and will react differently to certain foods. What works well for one may not work for another. I know of diabetics who will have a mango and their blood sugars will be sky high while another will notice a much smaller rise. Some that are fine with grains but others that aren't. This is why we really need to learn to properly listen to our bodies to determine what foods are best for us.
  • Bobzilla54
    Bobzilla54 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat when I started. Highly sugar-addicted, and desperately seeking ways to substitute my carbs. When I started, I dropped ~20 pounds in the first 10 days, which as others have mentioned, was water weight. I didn't care though - I was so happy to have a big chunk of weight gone. I tried all the carb substitute recipes.....keto pancakes, keto mashed potatoes, keto bread, keto pizza. I even bought maple extract so that I could make my own keto-friendly maple syrup for my pancakes. It worked for me. I highly recommend you do whatever you need to do to get yourself through the first few weeks. I would still do it if I had the time, but it's a lot of effort for me to keep making those elaborate recipes. Once I became keto-adapted (after a few weeks), the best part of this diet began.

My hunger changed, and my cravings changed. I would still get hungry, but it was different. The hunger was very subtle. The darkest depths of hunger were very mild. I used to crave deep fried, and/or sugary stuff, but that completely went away. I thought it would be so hard to resist cookies and donuts, but once I was adapted, I couldn't care less about those things.

For my means, I've switched to simpler things. I'll have eggs and breakfast sausage once every week or two, but often i opt to just have a bulletproof coffee for breakfast on the weekend (usually a simpler version with coffee, stevia, and a heaping tablespoon of coconut oil - mixed in a magic bullet). During the week, I don't have time for that, so I'll usually just have a couple tablespoons of heavy cream.

• ristinadurivage
    ristinadurivage Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    If you're tired of eggs, add in some veggies. My favorite is peppers and onions and spinach cooked in a omelet form on a cast iron skillet with a heaping tbsp. of bacon grease. Then add cheese on top to melt it and smothered in sour cream. I can't have dairy anymore, sadly bc it makes me keep weight on.
    If you're craving sweets, have a bullet proof coffee. It helps with me. Also look up fat bombs. It's added fat that can help control that sweet tooth.