Any nutritionists or personal trainers out there?!

I am looking for some advice from someone who really knows what they're talking about when it comes to food and simple nutrition. If you can help...comment or message me please!?! Thank you!

Replies

• HappyBride917
    HappyBride917 Posts: 27 Member
    @Look_Its_Kriss @usmcmp @PaulaWallaDingDong thanks for your responses! I'm really trying to get someone to help me figure what the best way is to eat. Calorie counting makes me nervous because it's unfamiliar and the database is so large. I'm trying to find some of the best ways to start.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    usmcmp wrote: »
    There are plenty of people on here who aren't certified who have significant experience. You can post your questions here and get some help rather than asking for someone to help you for free doing the job they typically get paid for.

So true. I'm a personal trainer and even though i come on here and give people information and whatnot this is only because I have the time and resources to do it. I won't ever go out of my way to guide you step by step but can generally point you in the right direction.
  • rainbowbow
    Hearing trainers talk about nutrition on the day-to-day, plus some of the advice that people on these boards have gotten, leads me to believe that trainers are not a reliable source of nutrition advice.

Yes, it's true. Sadly most personal trainers haven't got a clue as to even the most basic nutrition information.
  • HappyBride917
    HappyBride917 Posts: 27 Member
    @tinkerbellang83 thank you so much! I do have a food scale at home. That should help!

@rainbowbow I wasn't looking for very specific information, just something that could help get me going and get me in the right direction from someone who is knowledgeable about the subject, since obviously I'm not!
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    @Look_Its_Kriss @usmcmp @PaulaWallaDingDong thanks for your responses! I'm really trying to get someone to help me figure what the best way is to eat. Calorie counting makes me nervous because it's unfamiliar and the database is so large. I'm trying to find some of the best ways to start.

Initially you want to be focusing just on meeting your calorie goals, for most people that just means eating foods they like but in portions that meet their calorie goals. When you've got to grips with your calorie goal you can start focusing on things like macros to ensure you're getting the right balance of nutrition.

A food scale is a great start. I think a lot of people get so overwhelmed with calorie counting to start with because they think they have to make drastic changes.

At the start this time I ate as normal for a couple of days, logged everything I ate to see what I was consuming as normal. From there I could see where I was eating too many calories and have reduced my portion sizes or switched out foods for lower calorie options. For example I've reduced the amount of oil I use when roasting or frying foods.

^^this is good advice and should get you going, diets fail if you make huge changes/overly restricted yourself, you don't need to eat in a special way and it's more likely to be sustainable if you eat what you like/ how you normally eat and make small changes over time to improve nutrition and macros, let mfp guide you first with calories, then try and improve macros and micros.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member

Keep in mind weight loss is just step one. A dietician can give you a list of foods to eat....but what if they aren't foods you normally eat? Sure, you would lose weight but then what is your maintenance strategy?

Eat your normal foods. Measure portions as accurately as you can. Then tweak your choices as you learn more about your current habits. Learning about your foods choices will be super helpful for maintenance.

I like veggies & fruit. But when I'm not watching what I eat, I get lazy and eat less of these foods. That's a bad habit (for me) because these foods are pretty filling while fairly low calorie. Besides an apple takes longer to eat than a cookie. Don't make drastic changes.....just tweak things. You'll get the hang of it in no time.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited March 2017
    everyone and their mother seem to be on these forums.
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    edited March 2017
    .......I wasn't looking for very specific information, just something that could help get me going and get me in the right direction from someone who is knowledgeable about the subject, since obviously I'm not!

You don't really need a dietitian or nutritionist. Weight loss is not complicated. Eat less calories than your body burns or exercise more than you currently do. You just need to familiarize yourself with the calorie density of various foods. Fill your plate with mostly unprocessed plant foods because they will fill you up while limiting your calories and you don't have to starve to lose weight. Oils and fats are also calorie dense so minimize those esp if your calories are limited. The image below illustrates your stomach volume vs various foods of equal calories.To avoid hunger, you want high volume foods for the same calories. And of course an hour of moderate intensity exercise per day is a plus.

Caloric-Density-FINAL.jpg
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Protein, fat, and fiber are filling. But it's not one-size-fits-all. high volume works for some, but not for others. Besides high volume can be low in nutrients.
    Hahaha....Just looking at the image above, common sense (and cronometer.com) would show that the veggie filled stomach on the right has tons more vitamins and minerals (aka nutrients!) than the stomach on the left with a few tbsp of oil.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,986 Member
    It's a great tip to read the "Most Helpful Posts" section in the General Diet & Weight Loss forum (that's where those links above are from).

One additional thing I found helpful (that I don't remember being explicitly in those, and not mentioned above) is to log your food conscientiously, and use the diary as a tool.

At first, I suggest that you review your diary daily, and notice things that seem like they "cost" a lot of calories for the amount of tastiness, nutrition, and satisfaction you get from them. Try eating less of those things, and more of something else that you enjoy that better helps you meet your goals. Gradually, that will lead you to a more tasty, satisfying and nutritious way of eating tailored just for you.

Later, if you have days when you feel especially hungry, or have cravings, or some other undesirable thing like that, look at your diary: Was there something different about that day's eating that could've contributed to the problem? The previous day's eating? A change in your daily activities or exercise that could've been a trigger? Less sleep? More stress? Boredom, or cravings related to habitual eating triggers (like watching football on TV or whatever)?

You can learn a lot about your personal over-eating triggers from doing this, and find strategies to handle those situations more productively.

Good luck!
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Hearing trainers talk about nutrition on the day-to-day, plus some of the advice that people on these boards have gotten, leads me to believe that trainers are not a reliable source of nutrition advice.

Yes, it's true. Sadly most personal trainers haven't got a clue as to even the most basic nutrition information.

I'm studying for the ACE personal trainer certification. ACE's stand on nutrition and trainers is the trainer should only give very genetic advice to a client as they are not traired in the area. Should sent the client to a registreed dietitian. Trainers should not be recommending a specific diet or supplements

General guide would be the Dietary Guidelines for Americans

https://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015/
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    .......I wasn't looking for very specific information, just something that could help get me going and get me in the right direction from someone who is knowledgeable about the subject, since obviously I'm not!

You don't really need a dietitian or nutritionist. Weight loss is not complicated. Eat less calories than your body burns or exercise more than you currently do. You just need to familiarize yourself with the calorie density of various foods. Fill your plate with mostly unprocessed plant foods because they will fill you up while limiting your calories and you don't have to starve to lose weight. Oils and fats are also calorie dense so minimize those esp if your calories are limited. The image below illustrates your stomach volume vs various foods of equal calories.To avoid hunger, you want high volume foods for the same calories. And of course an hour of moderate intensity exercise per day is a plus.

Dang. That's actually a really useful graphic that I'd love to share around, but it has that stain on the bottom right corner. I'll keep looking for a better one.
  • rainbowbow
    Packerjohn wrote: »

I'm studying for the ACE personal trainer certification. ACE's stand on nutrition and trainers is the trainer should only give very genetic advice to a client as they are not traired in the area. Should sent the client to a registreed dietitian. Trainers should not be recommending a specific diet or supplements

I'm a NASM certified trainer and our guidelines are the same. While we cant tell someone what to eat, prescribe meal plans, recommend certain diets, etc. the generic advice I give usually revolves around teaching individuals about what calories macro and micronutrients are, how to determine their TDEE, the importance of protein intake, the importance of having a moderate calorie deficit, and how and why tracking the foods we eat can help us reach our goals. I can recommend that they follow the USDA healthy eating guidelines (45-65% carbs, 20-30% protein, and 20-30% fats) along with the USDA's recommendations for meal planning and finding foods which can be sustained long-term. You'll notice the USDA also has a stance on meal timing being irrelevant and finding ways to maintain a nutritionally adequate diet that fits individuals personal/social/cultural needs.

For a specific meal plan, for individuals with metabolic conditions or severe obesity, for individuals who have psychological issues surrounding food, individuals with food allergies and intolerances, and for anyone who needs more in-depth advice as to what they should eat; I always recommend they seek the help of a registered dietitian.

Even if i COULD i wouldn't recommend a diet to someone as i know first hand how important it is to find a diet that works for each of us individually as we all have different preferences. IMO meal plans aren't beneficial to long term success or a change in one's lifestyle.
  • Erfw7471
    Erfw7471 Posts: 242 Member
    edited March 2017

Dang. That's actually a really useful graphic that I'd love to share around, but it has that stain on the bottom right corner. I'll keep looking for a better one.

Lol. I hate this graphic, no offense to the poster. So the food is swallowed whole? No chewing? Pffffft.......satiety varies from person to person.

ETA: I myself am a volume eater, so I totally understand the point (I think?) trying to be made - but the graphic in itself is simplistic & misleading & is made to fit a specific narrative.
  • Niples_
    Niples_ Posts: 53 Member
    Everyone is so vague in these forums. Give me your weight, body fat percentage, exercise plan and your goal and I'll spell it out for you.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,986 Member

Even as a volume-preferring (and vegetarian) eater, I'm not a big fan, either - implies that physical fullness is the biggest factor, when it seems pretty evident from watching people around here that some are satisfied by fats or protein rather than volume.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    Niples_ wrote: »
    Everyone is so vague in these forums. Give me your weight, body fat percentage, exercise plan and your goal and I'll spell it out for you.

She didn't ask for numbers, she said:
    Calorie counting makes me nervous because it's unfamiliar and the database is so large.

So yes, it's going to be vague. She needs to figure out how to work her way around the database and how to log food.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,942 Member
    Packerjohn wrote: »

I'm a NASM certified trainer and our guidelines are the same. While we cant tell someone what to eat, prescribe meal plans, recommend certain diets, etc. the generic advice I give usually revolves around teaching individuals about what calories macro and micronutrients are, how to determine their TDEE, the importance of protein intake, the importance of having a moderate calorie deficit, and how and why tracking the foods we eat can help us reach our goals. I can recommend that they follow the USDA healthy eating guidelines (45-65% carbs, 20-30% protein, and 20-30% fats) along with the USDA's recommendations for meal planning and finding foods which can be sustained long-term. You'll notice the USDA also has a stance on meal timing being irrelevant and finding ways to maintain a nutritionally adequate diet that fits individuals personal/social/cultural needs.

For a specific meal plan, for individuals with metabolic conditions or severe obesity, for individuals who have psychological issues surrounding food, individuals with food allergies and intolerances, and for anyone who needs more in-depth advice as to what they should eat; I always recommend they seek the help of a registered dietitian.

Even if i COULD i wouldn't recommend a diet to someone as i know first hand how important it is to find a diet that works for each of us individually as we all have different preferences. IMO meal plans aren't beneficial to long term success or a change in one's lifestyle.
    Also this.
    As a former body building competitor, I adhered to a lot of the "broscience" when I dieted for comps, but once I got into actual physiology and biology classes, I wanted more to learn about actual nutrition and took classes. Knowing the generics helps, but I have enough adequate knowledge to help with clients who need some extra help if counting calories seems to be tough for them.
    As to the OP, if it's weight loss your shooting for, it's really nothing simpler than just counting calories.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png