I know the answer is probably No, but

Options
catmomfat
catmomfat Posts: 97 Member
edited March 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
Is there anyway besides going very low in weight to make thick muscular legs like Pinks ( I'm a former gymnast), get leaner longer muscles instead of bulky ones. In other words, can I make my gymnast legs more ballet legs? And before you comment, I do work out about 5 days a week. Just years of *kitten* eating have caught up with me and I'm gained approximately 12 pounds between 31 and 42. I'm no longer a 6/8 but now an 8/10 and I don't like it so I'm trying to take 15 to20 pounds off.

Do I lift too heavy for a woman?

Replies

• sbrandt37
    sbrandt37 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    If you eat less calories than you burn each day, you will lose both fat and muscle. Some of that will necessarily come from your legs. You said you work out, but didn't say what kind. I would suggest avoiding heavy lifting with your legs if you want them to get smaller. That said, I suspect you will look great if you focus on losing the fat without worrying about the muscle. Fitness just looks good, period.
  • catmomfat
    Options
    Well I DO have long legs for my height, or my 6'1" husband has short legs. My inseam is 33. His is 30. My legs are way longer than his. My torso though... I'm so short waisted. Low rise jeans hit me like normal jeans ( they cover my navel) and mid rise are actually way over my navel and button right below my bewbs. Seriously. I can show you on a measuring tape the fact that there is less than 2.5 inches between the top of my pelvic bones and my bottom ribs. I'm 5'5 and 3/4 and most people think I'm about 5'8". It's the long legs.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Leaner comes from losing bodyfat. Despite the claims sometimes made by Pilates, yoga and ballet practitioners, you can't make your muscles "longer" - they have fixed origins and insertion points and there's nothing that can be done to change that (short of some bizarre surgery).

The only way to make your muscles smaller is through atrophy - if you sat in a wheelchair for a few months and didn't use your legs at all, they would shrink up some, but the accompanying weakness wouldn't be beneficial for much of anything.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    It's hard to reduce muscle size. As AnvilHead said, atrophy comes from NOT using the muscle at all and that would include walking. That's probably not going to happen, so enhance their look. I wouldn't train heavy though. Just bodyweight work for the most part.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm, Misty...
  • catmomfat
    Options
    She has quads like mine. Wow
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    A lot of modern dancers, particularly contemporary dancers, have far more athletic physiques than ballet dancers traditionally have/had. I <3 Misty Copeland.

I too am strong of thigh and a former gymnast and dancer. Granted they still have a pretty hefty layer of fat hiding them but I love having strong thighs. Embrace what hard work (and a good dose of genetics) gave you.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    catmomfat wrote: »

Keep them. :)

Lose the excess fat, and it doesn't sound like there's a whole lot, and re-evaluate.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options

If you have legs like her, that's a beautiful asset. I realize tastes vary, but those are some seriously hot legs.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Maybe skip leg day sometimes

odq6vyfvb04z.jpg
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Embrace you legs.
    But if you must reduce them, keep a calorie deficit, don't work them too often, not more than 1-2x week, keep the volume low.
  • onward1
    onward1 Posts: 386 Member
    Options

Why, oh why, would you want to change them then?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options

So you're done, you already have legs like a ballerina! Lucky you!
  • mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Look at distance runners. Non of them have thick legs.
  • furmickc
    furmickc Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    mgalovic01 wrote: »

I run ultras. My legs are thick
  • mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    furmickc wrote: »

I guess I meant athletes.
  • furmickc
    furmickc Posts: 43 Member
    Options

Um, that seems a little aggressive. I'm at a healthy weight for my height, but I tend toward holding my weight in my lower body and I have shorter legs. That means I have thicker thighs. I just don't want people thinking that running = magically thin thighs.

• BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options

Um, that seems a little aggressive. I'm at a healthy weight for my height, but I tend toward holding my weight in my lower body and I have shorter legs. That means I have thicker thighs. I just don't want people thinking that running = magically thin thighs.

Yep me too. I run a lot, but I will always have big thighs and calves. It used to make me sad, but I've learned to live with them and love them.