Cold all the time!

Options
I've lost about 30 lb over the past year, but I'm still technically overweight (137 lb at 5 feet). I exercise 5-6 days a week (a mixture of cardio, conditioning, and yoga) and try to keep my calories around 1300 a day. Recently, I've noticed that I'm freezing all the time! Has this happened to anyone else? Have you just lived out your lives wearing heavy sweaters until the next heat wave?

Replies

• prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    When I was at a large deficit my hands stayed cold all the time.
  • bgh707
    bgh707 Posts: 164 Member
    Options

So the issue went away when your deficit became smaller? Am I eating too little?
  • vnb_208
    vnb_208 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    I'm always cold too. I have lost 63lbs in the last 7 months and seriously my fingers are like icicles right now .
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Could be the deficit - your body tries to conserve the energy by using less to keep you heated (at least that's what I read yesterday on a thing about metabolism) ... but more than likely could be less insulation (fat) to keep you warm.
  • tabletop_joe
    tabletop_joe Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Be sure you're getting enough iron.
  • soechsner09
    soechsner09 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm down just over 30lbs and I'm definitely cold more often ... not really fun since I live in Wisconsin lol For some reason I notice my nose gets cold. What's up with that?
  • prattiger65
    Options
    bgh707 wrote: »

So the issue went away when your deficit became smaller? Am I eating too little?

For me, it is less of a problem with a smaller deficit. I am losing at a rate of about 1 pound per week now and I rarely notice cold hands. when I was losing a 2 pounds per week, my hands were like ice all the time.
  • SamK5269
    SamK5269 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I don't have any personal experience, but my cousin (who was always a furnace) recently cut sugar out of her diet and lost a bunch of weight and now she's struggling to stay warm.
  • anniesgolden1
    anniesgolden1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It can definitely be related to the weight loss, but feeling cold all the time can also be a symptom of thyroid problems or anemia.
  • prattiger65
    Options
    I just ran a quick check of your rough numbers, your BMR is @1440, you may need to eat a little more.
  • bgh707
    bgh707 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I just ran a quick check of your rough numbers, your BMR is @1440, you may need to eat a little more.

Thanks! I'd be happy to give it a try.
  • ChristineE63
    ChristineE63 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I am usually super cold all the time, in fact I call it my "super power" the deep freeze, but in the last month I have really been trying to get more protein, I have gone from about 20 grams a day to more like 90 grams, so a significant increase, and you know what, I am warmer, nothing crazy but more normal.
  • boxingblondemom
    boxingblondemom Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    bgh707 wrote: »
    I've lost about 30 lb over the past year, but I'm still technically overweight (137 lb at 5 feet). I exercise 5-6 days a week (a mixture of cardio, conditioning, and yoga) and try to keep my calories around 1300 a day. Recently, I've noticed that I'm freezing all the time! Has this happened to anyone else? Have you just lived out your lives wearing heavy sweaters until the next heat wave?

This constantly would happen to me when I was cutting weight ( for boxing). For myself, I always knew about how many lbs down I was that day based on how cold I was. I even had to wear hoodies on occasion in the summer! The price of getting into shape. Bonus, excuse to get cute warm clothes
  • christinacrisfield
    christinacrisfield Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm a diabetic (since I was a kid) and my old medicine was making me gain weight once I hit 30. I am on something new, finally after putting on weight for 7 years and have been able to lose 14 lbs in the last 6 months and I am so cold all of the time now too.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    That is not unusual and most people adjust at some point.

However, it can also be a sign of hypothyroidism or other health issues, so if you notice that the problem continues into the spring and summer, get checked out.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    It can definitely be related to the weight loss, but feeling cold all the time can also be a symptom of thyroid problems or anemia.

This was my thought too...
  • elfin168
    elfin168 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Weight training. Helps boost your internal furnace

• NalaBellyFIT
    NalaBellyFIT Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I, too, went from being warm all the time to very frequently chilly, and I'm only down 20 pounds so far. It's so interesting the ways our bodies react. Good thought about the iron!