Water weight

I know you tend to lose a lot of water weight in the beginning, but Im curious about something. Im in the beginning stages of losing weight. So far I have lost 17 lbs. Do you think at this point I have tapped into burning fat now? I know the scale is going down, and at this point, I only feel subtle changes. Lighter, and maybe a couple of my items of clothes barely feeling a tad looser. I think Im at the, "Am I really starting to burn fat and maybe I am losing weight, Im just not 100% sure?" Other then the scale number.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,753 Member
    Awesome! You are doing great! It is fat loss now. Keep going!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    In all stages of weight loss you are burning fat...as well as muscle and will always have varying degrees of water retention/release.

Yes, early on you drop a lot of water given the drop in calories...and also less inherent waste in your system. But you were also losing fat just as you are currently losing fat.
  • dmc4blessings
    dmc4blessings Posts: 19 Member
    Thank u guys!!!! Im feeling encouraged by you. I so desperately want to lose weight, as Im sure everyone else does, so, I appreciate all your feedback
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,745 Member
    edited March 2017
    Yes, fat burning starts as soon as you get into a deficit. That initial water weight loss is just exaggerating it - it doesn't mean it isn't happening at all.
  • dmc4blessings
    I defiantly am in a deficit pertaining to calories. I used to eat fast food and dining out food most days of the week, with little to no exercise, other then work. Now I eat no more then 1400 calories a day and I walk at a decent pace for 45 minutes 6 days a week. Hopefully I will keep losing weight with such a drastic decrease in calories each day.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,745 Member
    I defiantly am in a deficit pertaining to calories. I used to eat fast food and dining out food most days of the week, with little to no exercise, other then work. Now I eat no more then 1400 calories a day and I walk at a decent pace for 45 minutes 6 days a week. Hopefully I will keep losing weight with such a drastic decrease in calories each day.

Keep at it, keep logging consistently and accurately, and the weight will come off.
  • dmc4blessings

Keep at it, keep logging consistently and accurately, and the weight will come off.

Thanks!!! I will take your advice.