question for those who love salads!

Options
perkymommy
perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
I need ideas on what to eat in my salads. Last night I had a chicken caesar salad for dinner (baked chicken breast, romaine hearts, caesear dressing, parmesan shredded, croutons). I weigh and measure it all so that it's in line with my calories for the day. Today I'm having for lunch a salad with no meat but adding in mild cheddar cheese shredded, croutons, black beans and corn. Looking for more ideas. I don't like red meat, only chicken and no seafood on salad either. Share your ideas with me!

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Every day for lunch I have a big salad from our work cafeteria. On top of the romaine, it typically consists of:
    Peas, carrots, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, raw zucchini, hearts of palm, artichoke hearts, green olives, dried cranberries, broccoli, toasted almonds, and mushrooms. It's so good, I enjoy having it every day and don't get sick of it.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I love a good taco salad, or a greek salad, and I will use whatever is in the fridge to make it! I like to add chickpeas, corn, left over cooked veg from the night before, some protein, and then use either sour cream or a really light balsamic and oil dressing. I like to mix up the greens by combining say, spring mix with iceber lettuce, or have a slaw type salad with cabbage. Also, I just discovered roasted radishes taste alot like little red potatoes, so I am going to try a potato salad recipe using them.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I've been making my own chopped salad which is sooooo delicious. When I measure everything it is 569 calories

2.5oz Purdue chicken breast carve select pouches(already cooked and packaged)
    2 cups Organic Spring Mix
    2 pickled beets
    1 hard boiled egg
    1/2 avocado
    1 oz blue cheese crumbles
    1 oz chinese lo mein crunchy noodles
    3 tblspoon Newman Lite Balsamic Vinaigrette
  • Sassypattysassypatty
    Sassypattysassypatty Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have two favorite salads:

Kale, avocado, seaweed, red onion w flax seed oil and fresh lemon.

Arugula, roasted beet, goat cheese, avocado, red onion with dribble of raw honey, balsamic vinegar. (Adding walnuts and cranberries adds extra calories, so I omit this on most days).
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    i like chopped salads a ton, i usually make a huge batch and pre-portion them out for the week and squeeze some lemon juice on them to keep the veggies fresher and add the dressing right before eating.

typical ingredients
    romaine lettuce / spinach / cabbage and carrots as bases
    red onion
    orange bell pepper
    cucumber
    tomato
    edamame
    crumbled feta
    sweet and spicy pecans
    tuna

i also really like greek yogurt based dressing, there is one that is kalamata olive flavored that is amazing, but they are all pretty low cal and have a bit of protein
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Something pickled. I make my own pickled carrots and pickled onions, and will throw some of those in a salad. Big flavour, low calories.

For lunch in the summer, I'll do mason jar salads. There are lots of recipes around for inspiration, like this:
    http://letslassothemoon.com/2014/12/20/mason-jar-recipes/
  • schmanciepants
    schmanciepants Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    My favorite now is a bbq salad....romaine, carrots, bell peppers, red onions, chopped pickles, shredded cheese, tortilla chips, any kind of meat/chicken/turkey - dressed with a mixture of BBQ sauce and sour cream. Yum!
  • perkymommy
    Options
    cross2bear wrote: »
    I love a good taco salad, or a greek salad, and I will use whatever is in the fridge to make it! I like to add chickpeas, corn, left over cooked veg from the night before, some protein, and then use either sour cream or a really light balsamic and oil dressing. I like to mix up the greens by combining say, spring mix with iceber lettuce, or have a slaw type salad with cabbage. Also, I just discovered roasted radishes taste alot like little red potatoes, so I am going to try a potato salad recipe using them.

Never thought of a taco salad! Sounds good.
  • perkymommy
    Options
    My favorite now is a bbq salad....romaine, carrots, bell peppers, red onions, chopped pickles, shredded cheese, tortilla chips, any kind of meat/chicken/turkey - dressed with a mixture of BBQ sauce and sour cream. Yum!

Sounds really good, thanks!
  • perkymommy
    Options
    These are all great ideas! :)
  • imabeevampire
    imabeevampire Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    oh gosh im so bland haah, i will have chicken mayo, or ham salad cream, with lettuce, cucumber, cherry tom, and carrot :)
  • youngcaseyr
    youngcaseyr Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Think about just about anything you want for dinner (anything solid or semi-solid, soups won't work) and divide the serving in half or a third and put it on top of your salad. I've put just about anything savory onto a salad-- macaroni and cheese, potatoes, omelets, taco ingredients, Thanksgiving leftovers... Get creative! If you would eat it with a salad on the side, try eating it on your salad!
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Typically, I take 1/2 cup of corn, slice up a cold veggie dog and mix it up with cherry tomatoes, cucumber, dill pickle, hot pepper, and onion or scallion and make a dressing from 1/4 cup salsa, and 1 tbsp each of Tofuti Sour Supreme and sweet pickle relish.
  • AlyssaPetsDogs
    AlyssaPetsDogs Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I like making my own Italian/Greek dressing (I use a little more vinegar and water to cut down on the oil) and I'll add feta crumbles, kalamata olives, artichokes, and chicken if I have it! Super good!
  • metalmeow1
    metalmeow1 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I [hate] salad. I fix this by stuffing it between two slices of bread with light dressing. For some reason salad-to-sandwhich matters with me lmao
  • rdmitch
    rdmitch Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Wow you folks are unbelievably creative. I feel so simple.
    For me it's regular, boring, iceburg lettuce and I add some fancy bagged romain lettuce to
    spruce it up. Add shredded carrots, some red cabbage, onion and a bit of green pepper.
    That's the basic mix I take to work every day. I add either broiled chicken breast (3 oz), or
    Some cut up lunch meat or pepperoni to make it a bit different.
    I never get as fancy or creative as you guys.
  • AndOne8675
    AndOne8675 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I like lettuce, cabbage and shredded carrots as a base. Yesterday I added shredded rotisserie chicken, roasted beet, sunflower seeds, and martini olives. I make a dressing with rice vinegar and full fat mayo or yogurt and spices. Some days I have my base and eat goat cheese, dried apricots, cucumber, tomato and nuts on top.
    I will also throw pears, oranges or apples and mix up the lettuce and cabbage with raddicio, spinach and arugala. Eggs on top is always good too.
    But I usually stick to standards and get a little creative with a couple toppings.
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Throwing toasted pumpkin seeds into any salad makes me smile!
  • wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I just make boring, lettuce, cucumber, tomato, carrot, maybe bacon bits and sunflower seeds salad with salt sprinkled on top, lol
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    tonight I'm having spring mix, avocado, tomatoes, barley, carrots, and cucumber, dressed with salt, pepper, olive oil, and vinegar (probably tarragon-infused, but I might go with white balsamic).