Withdrawal headaches

Options
kloblo
kloblo Posts: 14 Member
Has anyone else experienced really bad headaches/migraines after cutting out sugary food and drink??

Replies

• ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Nope. But bear in mind that many sugary drinks are also caffeinated. You may be going through caffeine withdrawal. Try replacing it with tea or coffee. (Real coffee, not the sugary, fatty crap Starbucks makes for people who don't actually like coffee.)
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    kloblo wrote: »
    Has anyone else experienced really bad headaches/migraines after cutting out sugary food and drink??

Might be best not to cut out anything. Just reduce your portion sizes instead. Also increase your exercise activity level.
  • latoyashaw9
    latoyashaw9 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes, I get headaches when withdrawing from sugar and caffeine. 3 weeks ago I went low carb but I'm still aging my coffee and I still had s migraine for a week. It does pass though!
  • Doctorsookiestrikesback
    Options
    Every time I would miss my coffee I would end up with a withdrawal that led to a day long migraine. It was the worst. My solution was to completely stop drinking it. I have not had but one small pumpkin cappuccino (on the last day of 2016) since October 2016. I took midol one day in January for cramps thinking 60 mg of caffeine in it would be fine. Boy was I wrong. I was hyper ALL day and the next day sure enough migraine. It was all I had for pain. Now I only take tylenol and no caffeine except from hot cocoa (5 mg) and I don't even drink it every day anymore and the occasional chocolate. I haven't had soda since April 2016. I don't like sugary drinks so I mostly drink water and caffeine free herbal teas. My suggestion is to wean off of the caffeine entirely and not look back. Migraines can be a bi&^%.
  • kloblo
    Options
    I was drinking up to 4 monster energy drinks a day and stopped drinking them cold turkey a week ago. The headaches have only gotten bad in the last couple of days
  • TonyB0588
    Options
    I was drinking up to 4 monster energy drinks a day and stopped drinking them cold turkey a week ago. The headaches have only gotten bad in the last couple of days

Sorry I didn't guess Monster from your description of "sugary food and drink". That's quite a different problem altogether.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

Yes, that's a fairly large amount of caffeine you've cut. It's almost certainly the cause of your headaches, even if there was a delay of a few days.
  • kloblo
    Options
    I also stopped eating as many lollies as I usually do too
  • Hello_its_Dan
    Hello_its_Dan Posts: 406 Member
    Options

How long have you been cutting out sugary food and drink?
    How much are you eating daily?
  • kloblo
    Options
    I cut out the drinks a week ago and the lollies 3 days ago. Basically only sugar I'm eating is in like bread and the rapid loss shakes
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    The shakes have sugar?
  • kloblo
    Options
    I'm just guessing there would be some sort of sugar I haven't actually checked
  • TonyB0588
    Options
    I'm just guessing there would be some sort of sugar I haven't actually checked

If you're logging your food and exercise properly on this site, you'll need to know if they have sugar or not. And all the other nutrition facts about the product.
  • kloblo
    Options
    I put them in search and it finds it for me
  • jsecret
    jsecret Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I went from multiple energy drinks plus coffee daily to cold turkey stop for New Years. The first 2-3 weeks SUCKED, not gonna lie. I was exhausted, had headaches, and felt generally like crap. Week 4 was better, and after that I was great. I sleep better, have more energy, focus better, and feel better. Push through it!
  • kloblo
    Options
    Thanx. I basically stopped drinking them due to lack of sleep