New paper on overall volume to build muscle.

Options
Dose-response relationship between weekly resistance training volume and increases in muscle mass: A systematic review and meta-analysis

By Brad Schoenfeld, Dan Ogborn, and James Kreiger

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/305455324_Dose-response_relationship_between_weekly_resistance_training_volume_and_increases_in_muscle_mass_A_systematic_review_and_meta-analysis

Replies

• jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    I will be reading this in the morning. Much appreciated, will never turn down one of Dr Schoenfelds meta analysis'
  • BhangraPrince
    BhangraPrince Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Looks like a serious read. What's the jist of it ?
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    is it just me who can't find a definition of 'set' (i.e. how many reps per) anywhere in the paper? i did a word search for 'rep' and got a few isolated references to 'x-y repetitions' in the tables, but nothing that seemed to be intended as a universal definition.
  • Hello_its_Dan
    Hello_its_Dan Posts: 406 Member
    Options

Time under tension is the most important factor to building muscle.
    In other words you can build muscle using light to moderate weight so long as intensity is high.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options

More volume =bigger muscles, but there is no conclusive evidence about how that volume should be arrived at, because every study examined was done differently.
  • Hello_its_Dan
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »

More volume =bigger muscles, but there is no conclusive evidence about how that volume should be arrived at, because every study examined was done differently.

https://www.thieme-connect.com/products/ejournals/abstract/10.1055/s-0042-119204?device=mobile&innerWidth=360&offsetWidth=360

From Brad's Facebook post

"Our paper showing similar muscle growth between rest intervals of 30 vs 150 secs when training with light loads (40% 1RM to failure). These findings are counter to research showing better gains with longer rest when using heavier loading; perhaps any reductions in volume load aren't as relevant in light load training since the number of reps are already quite high. Also, it's another study showing substantial gains in hypertrophy both in the upper and lower body when using low-loads - you definitely can build appreciable muscle at a variety of repetition ranges as long as you train with a high level of effort!"

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Thanks for posting! Has anyone determined how many sets are necessary since the summary above stated 40% 1rm to failure?
  • Hello_its_Dan
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    Thanks for posting! Has anyone determined how many sets are necessary since the summary above stated 40% 1rm to failure?

They're using %1RM to failure.
    Generally speaking 70% 1RM is appx 10 reps +/-.
    Calculate your 1RM from there and you'll be able to figure out what to lift.
    Hell, set up a spreadsheet!
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »

They're using %1RM to failure.
    Generally speaking 70% 1RM is appx 10 reps +/-.
    Calculate your 1RM from there and you'll be able to figure out what to lift.
    Hell, set up a spreadsheet!

I use the 1rm calculator app. Just didn't know if it was 1 set, but I see in the abstract they were using up to 10 sets per muscle group per week.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    Dose-response relationship between weekly resistance training volume and increases in muscle mass: A systematic review and meta-analysis

By Brad Schoenfeld, Dan Ogborn, and James Kreiger

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/305455324_Dose-response_relationship_between_weekly_resistance_training_volume_and_increases_in_muscle_mass_A_systematic_review_and_meta-analysis
    Thanks Dan

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png