Is there anything that makes cottage cheese taste better.

Options

Replies

• suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    i think its hard enough to stop eating stuff i do like, rather than forcing myself to ingest calories from stuff i dont even like. There is nothing amazing in cottage cheese that makes it necessary to force yourself to eat. There are other better forms of protein out there
  • paced2day
    paced2day Posts: 55
    Options
    Definitely best with home jarred peaches.
  • ozycat
    ozycat Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I like it with pickled beetroot chopped up in it, gherkins, jalapenos, sweet chilli sauce and really like it spread on balsamic rice cakes. Not keen on adding sweet things at all. Also yummy with a bit of marmite mixed in...

MMMM hungry now....
  • CookieGem
    CookieGem Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Its lovely with chopped chives in it or a spoonful of pesto.
  • carmillablk
    carmillablk Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I eat low fat low sodium cottage cheese and I do agree that the texture and the taste gets really boring but to make it more creamy i add water and mix it. For breakfast I slice up a peach in it. If you have a food processor you can mix in peppers, cucumbers and veggies that you like in and spread it on rice cake or whole wheat bread. You can add some spices to it if you like.
    On the other hand if you really really don't like it don't eat it.
  • mbroeckelmanpost
    mbroeckelmanpost Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Mix it with fruit or salsa. Or try blending it with frozen fruit and skim milk to make a high protein smoothie.
  • cammers74
    cammers74 Posts: 45
    Options
    Chopped spring onions or chives and S&P!
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Honey and fruit - NOM
  • marshallexi
    marshallexi Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    One of my friends gave me a recipe for a 'pastry-free' quiche, which basically involves whisking a couple of eggs in with the cottage cheese, adding seasoning (and your choice of fillings) and then baking it in a dish in the oven.

Best filling that I've found so far is spring onions, Quorn frankfurters, black pepper and Worcestershire Sauce.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I agree with the don't like it don't eat it thing.

However, I would try a few different brands as they vary greatly in taste and texture.

I have it with:
    natural pb and honey
    chocolate whey and a bit of skim milk. Stir and put in freezer
    occasionally do the tuna with lemon/pepper also
  • lucyiaci
    lucyiaci Posts: 2
    Options
    If you don't like don't eat it! Fasted way to break your diet is force things you don't on yourself. For the record I like the pineapple one, blueberry sounds vile x
  • chocolateblueberry
    chocolateblueberry Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I say keep away from the low fat variety- its yucky, but the full fat, for a an extra 30 cals maybe, is super creamy! I sometimes use the low cal version in cooking, such as instead of a white sauce in a lasagna!
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    I do NOT like cottage cheese with fruit like so many people do. I load mine up with pepper and celery salt. Mmmm...

Also, to help with the texture, try draining some of the liquid off before eating it.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Canned peaches!

I thought I was the only one who did that!

Me too! Or pineapple.

To the OP...I like cottage cheese, I just get tired of it sometimes. I've also crushed up some generic (but 100% whole wheat!) wheat thins and added them and liked it too! I just have to keep changing it up so I don't get bored. But, if you just plain don't like it, don't eat it!

I also like the lasagna idea! I've even added cottage cheese to my spaghetti sauce for more protein....same with oatmeal (gives it a creamy taste, plus protein). I've never tried it, but maybe mix in some granola? I've mixed granola in plain greek yogurt.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I say keep away from the low fat variety- its yucky, but the full fat, for a an extra 30 cals maybe, is super creamy! I sometimes use the low cal version in cooking, such as instead of a white sauce in a lasagna!

Agreed! I can't stand FAT FREE cottage cheese, even when it's "low-fat" I've learned it has to have at least 2g of fat/serving, or the taste isn't appealing to me at all!
  • meggers123
    meggers123 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    There's not really cottage cheese here (germany), so I don't eat it anymore.. but I used to blend it with fruit... helps with the texture. :)
  • goochee
    goochee Posts: 4
    Options
    Well I love cottage cheese but I am diabetic so I add a little sugar free jam or jelly to plain cottage cheese or plain yogurt and it helps out with the taste. Like 1/2 teaspoon is good for me.
  • beaner1st
    beaner1st Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I eat it with natural applesauce. I used to use honey but the calories were a little high. It is also good with jelly.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Fat free and 1% fat cottage cheese are blargh. No matter what I put in them, they still taste chalky and weird.

However...

2% and 4% (whole fat) are great. I especially love Breakstones 2% cottage cheese or Friendship brand. It's definitely one of those dairy products (IMO) that you need some fat content for taste.

I like adding black pepper, oregano, and ground garlic to mine.
  • janetbefit
    janetbefit Posts: 11
    Options
    You can make "Orange Stuff" (or pink stuff or green stuff depending on the jello powder you add) by simply putting some cottage cheese in a bowl, sprinkle on some sugar free jello powder of your choice, add some coordinating fruit such as pineapple with the orange or cherries with cherry jello powder etc. Then you can add some coordinating extract like coconut etc. Then add a dollop of Reduced fat or FF cool whip to make it creamy.

This is delish and a great way to have a sweet protein dish. It can be breakfast or a snack or dessert.

I don't make it much anymore b/c I'm trying to stay away from food coloring and additives but it's still nice to have that option once in a while.