Weight loss but Clothes fit the same

Options
I've lost 8 lbs so far. Starting out I was 175 and I'm 6ft tall. My bmi says that even at 175 it was a healthy weight but I'm trying to get back down to 150.
So after losing 8lbs when I wasn't that huge to begin with I assumed my clothes would be a little looser. Nope. Clothes are all fitting the same despite the scale going down. Only difference is my arms look smaller and my hips look a little smaller but that's it.
How much weight do you have to lose to see a difference in how clothes fit? I've always heard you notice that before the number on the scale decreasing but for me it's been just the opposite.
I'm calorie restricting and working out (at home, 25 min. workout videos daily) and taking 10,000 steps daily.

Replies

• Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    You don't choose where the fat falls off. I would start measuring to see if you see change anywhere as you said you have seen a change in arms and hips. I've had my feet shrink after weight loss (but nooo not where it would be visually appealing to see loss - jerk body).
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I've lost 8 lbs so far. Starting out I was 175 and I'm 6ft tall. My bmi says that even at 175 it was a healthy weight but I'm trying to get back down to 150.
    So after losing 8lbs when I wasn't that huge to begin with I assumed my clothes would be a little looser. Nope. Clothes are all fitting the same despite the scale going down. Only difference is my arms look smaller and my hips look a little smaller but that's it.
    How much weight do you have to lose to see a difference in how clothes fit? I've always heard you notice that before the number on the scale decreasing but for me it's been just the opposite.
    I'm calorie restricting and working out (at home, 25 min. workout videos daily) and taking 10,000 steps daily.

It varies by person and there is no guarantee that anybody answering your question based on personal experience is going to give you an answer that predicts reality for you. It took me 30 pounds to lose a size. I don't really remember how many pounds before that my clothes felt better.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    This is not the same for all. 8 pounds on a 6 foot tall frame will be different than on a 5 foot tall frame. I went from size 18 jeans to size 4-6 jeans with 50 pounds. I did not keep track of how and when the clothes sizes went by.
  • akmomof7
    akmomof7 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    The first few pounds also usually have a fair amount of water weight included, and losing water weight doesn't really change your size outside of maybe a little bloat. Just keep at it and you will see the changes!
  • akmomof7
    akmomof7 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Afura wrote: »
    You don't choose where the fat falls off. I would start measuring to see if you see change anywhere as you said you have seen a change in arms and hips. I've had my feet shrink after weight loss (but nooo not where it would be visually appealing to see loss - jerk body).

Lol. Yep, my body picks weird places to lose from first. I also lose in my feet and fingers! My rings start slip sliding very quickly when I lose weight. And now that I am older, my breasts disappear long before my booty or thighs even think about decreasing. So depressing!
  • Rogstar
    Rogstar Posts: 216 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Iit probably depends on how the clothes fit on you at 175. Were they tight at all and you might not remember exactly how tight they were?

Two months ago I was at about 217. But I was really squeezing into my clothes after gaining 10-15lbs around the holidays, like dealing with skin sores from my tight jeans (don't do that to yourself people!) Now that I'm back down to below my September weight at 204, I'm still wearing those same clothes and finding that they're still rather tight on me. They fit a little better, but I don't know how I was wearing them last year. I've been wondering if maybe I'm losing in a different place than where I gained. I haven't lost any inches (except my arms and chest) and really the only place I've seen a difference is in my hands (rings are falling off again) and face. I must have been retaining a ton of water!

So, the only thing I can say is that you might be like me and just be losing it in different places than where you gained it. Have you taken pictures or measurements and maybe seen a difference that way? You might be just on the verge of physically getting smaller (since inches-dropping never seems to be consistent), and the next time you wash those clothes, they might feel different!
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. I usually notice in my clothes a little first. However I just had to donate some clothes because I spent the last year building muscle. Now my pants fit in the waist but are snug around my booty and quads.

Keep going and push through, you'll notice other changes before you know it. And congrats on the loss
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I had to lose a TON of weight before my clothes fit differently. (Sorry to be a bummer).
  • jacobsl221
    jacobsl221 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I had to lose about 15 lbs before things started to get a little looser. I did notice my cheeks aren't so round. Did you take a picture of your face before you started to lose? Maybe it is coming off there.
  • BootCampC
    BootCampC Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    most people lose weight around the face and neck area first , then slowly sheds from areas where you hold the most active muscle tissue. and then other areas. personally every 10 lbs is 1 belt hole smaller. that might or might not be the case for you.. it all depends on the person
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    8lbs is a good loss but it takes a lot more to get clothes difference
    You can lose lots of weight on the scales but hardly any inch loss but you can lose lots inches and have small scale loss
    If your aiming for lots inch loss hit those weights

I'm afraid to say first weight to lose is water so that's won't make much difference in inches
  • Scochrane86
    Scochrane86 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I have lost 75lbs and only went down 1 dress size.... frustrating, but it does happen
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    As tall as you are it'll be a while, but the reverse is true too, you can gain 8lbs without having to buy new clothes (or people really noticing). That's not true for someone who is 5' tall. I'm 5'8.5" and it's about 15 to 20lbs = a new size. I'm a size 6 in my favorite jeans at 145-150, and a size 8 at 165.
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I have lost 75lbs and only went down 1 dress size.... frustrating, but it does happen

I lost 63lbs last year went down 5 dress sizes
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Here's my theory.

Fat is an *kitten*. It know you are trying to get rid of it, so it is going to stick around where you least want it for as long as it can just to piss you off. So you lose in the face, arms, legs, and (for women) boobs but it will not leave your waist or belly until it absolutely has to, just out of spite.

It is just the way it is....
  • malioumba
    malioumba Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    It takes me about 15lbs to go down a size, and the old clothes still technically fit, they just are looser.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    iv lost 85 pounds (233-148ish) and i still wear size large pants and size XL sports bras and stuff...And size large tops...Although i did fit into 1 medium xD I look a million times beter and my clothing has gotten a tad loose but whenever i go to the store im same size....

its annoying xD 8 poudns isnt much you lose it all over you dont need to see a difference for it to be there.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I found every 10lbs lost was a size down - I 'only' had 20 to lose though. ...