Need help with keto / Atkins diet

Options
I've been following Atkins diet for just over a week now, I've tested myself on the ketostix and it testing moderate for ketones but I have had no change in weight loss or inches? I know it's only be just over a week but everywhere I read says people have lost up to 7lbs in the first week? Maybe I'm eating tooo much fat? Is there anyone who can help me with my macros I don't have a clue

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Are you counting calories?
  • Lotsbunney
    Lotsbunney Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yes I've set my calories to around 1000 but i never exceed that it's just feels I'm doing everything right but not getting results. If I'm having 25g of carbs what should I have of protein and fat?
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Are you counting calories too? It's possible to eat too much on Atkins or Keto and not lose.

Having said that one week is not a lot of time so you may want to give it more time.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    The big loss for most people on Atkins is water. Perhaps you are eating more salt or exercising more, so not releasing as much water.

Don't eat under 1000 calories. That isn't healthy or sustainable.
  • GillianSmith2
    GillianSmith2 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

look on here for more help and support with this type of diet
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    The big loss for most people on Atkins is water. Perhaps you are eating more salt or exercising more, so not releasing as much water.

Don't eat under 1000 calories. That isn't healthy or sustainable.

This is true. If you have increased your sodium, as is advisable on a LCHF diet, you may not lose much water weight.

Give it more time. And consider upping your calories, especially if you are the type who tends to binge a bit once you get too hungry.
  • StargazingGirl
    StargazingGirl Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    The keto Stix are just an unneeded expense. Keeping carbs low enough? Under 50? Under 30?
    A ketogenic eating plan is not THE MAGIC PILL for instant, miraculous, astounding weight loss. Like anything else, it does take time. As much time as cico? Probably not, I haven't found that to be the case and I've been eating keto almost 2 years.
    Your may not lose a lot of weight in the beginning and realistically, the first few days to week is water weight.
    Why are your calories so low?
    What do your macros look like?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    What are your stats? How tall are you, how much do you weigh, what yours goal?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    The keto Stix are just an unneeded expense. Keeping carbs low enough? Under 50? Under 30?
    A ketogenic eating plan is not THE MAGIC PILL for instant, miraculous, astounding weight loss. Like anything else, it does take time. As much time as cico? Probably not, I haven't found that to be the case and I've been eating keto almost 2 years.
    Your may not lose a lot of weight in the beginning and realistically, the first few days to week is water weight.
    Why are your calories so low?
    What do your macros look like?

CICO is not a diet, its calories in vs calories out(energy in vs energy out), which is required for weight loss/gain no matter if you are doing keto,LCHF,paleo,etc. if you arent in a deficit no matter how you eat you wont lose weight.
  • StargazingGirl
    Options
    No, technically CICO isn't a diet. Yes, one must be in a deficit to lose weight, obviously. Clearly at 1000 cal/day that OP has listed, there is an existing deficit.
    The OP stated she's been on this eating plan for about a week and wanted to know she hadn't seen bigger losses, clearly expecting more.
    Is this perhaps what you were responding to?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    No, technically CICO isn't a diet. Yes, one must be in a deficit to lose weight, obviously. Clearly at 1000 cal/day that OP has listed, there is an existing deficit.
    The OP stated she's been on this eating plan for about a week and wanted to know she hadn't seen bigger losses, clearly expecting more.
    Is this perhaps what you were responding to?

what I was responding to is in the little box above what I stated. if she isnt seeing bigger losses then its possible she is eating more than she thinks,retaining water, or both.also a week is not a lot of time. some people it takes longer to see a loss in weight.
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    I am a keto'er...my macros are 5% carbs ...75% fat and 20% protein...I have lost 96lbs a little over 2 years... I was eating 1500 calories but now I am eating 1200 because I only have 25 more pounds to go
  • StargazingGirl
    Options
    The easiest way to calculate macros is set your tolerable or desired carb limit, calculate needed protein & fill in the rest with fat.
    A good one can be found at
    http://www.ruled.me/keto-calculator/
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    The easiest way to calculate macros is set your tolerable or desired carb limit, calculate needed protein & fill in the rest with fat.

with keto fat should be higher than protein because higher amounts of protein can knock a person out of ketosis.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

that calculator is acting up I put it my stats and it stated I should eat over 14,000 g of protein and -7000 grams of fat lol
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options

that calculator is acting up I put it my stats and it stated I should eat over 14,000 g of protein and -7000 grams of fat lol

It told me to eat 0 calories...-53 protein LOL
  • StargazingGirl
    Options
    Holy Moly! Nevermind..definitely don't eat at that level..lol.
    I'll send an alert off to the site asap
  • StargazingGirl
    Options
    Alright. Easy way to calculate
    Pick carb level, calculate protein @ 0.6 - 0.8g per kg body weight, fill in the rest with fat to make up the difference.
    Fat 9cal/g, carb 4cal/g, pro 4cal/g.

• Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Lotsbunney wrote: »
    I've been following Atkins diet for just over a week now, I've tested myself on the ketostix and it testing moderate for ketones but I have had no change in weight loss or inches? I know it's only be just over a week but everywhere I read says people have lost up to 7lbs in the first week? Maybe I'm eating tooo much fat? Is there anyone who can help me with my macros I don't have a clue

Those people weigh 250lbs+. Do you? (Either way it is just water and poop)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    Lotsbunney wrote: »

Those people weigh 250lbs+. Do you? (Either way it is just water and poop)

actually its water/sodium and glycogen stores.