Will a 30lb weight loss cause loose skin?

Options
amandaj827
amandaj827 Posts: 7 Member
edited March 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I've already lost 30 throughout the past 3 months, so I'm halfway to my goal. Since this will be 60lbs altogether, is this enough weight to lose to have loose skin after? I don't have any that I know of at the moment, but I am still 10lbs overweight, so would I be able to tell right now? I'm 5'1" 142lbs trying to get to 112lbs. I'm 20 by the way

Replies

• richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    In the short term, probably. The slower you lose, the more time your skin has to shrink back to adapt. 10 lbs per month is probably too quick for it to keep up. In the long term, you are likely young enough that after some period of time, the loose skin should go away in the long term. Not everyone is that lucky or has to wait even longer when they're older (some say 1-2 years after you hit goal weight, if ever).
  • cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I am 61 years old and have lost 36 lbs with 10 to go. Have absolutely NO loose skin. If I don't have it at 61 - I can't imagine you'd have it at 20! :)
  • sbrandt37
    sbrandt37 Posts: 403 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I'm sure it depends on age, genetics, perhaps how long you have been heavy, etc. I'm 52 and I have been 20 to 50 pounds overweight for 25 years. I have lost about 55 pounds this year, which is most of what I want to lose, and I have some loose skin. Not a whole lot, and it is improving, but enough to amuse my 12 year old daughter. Most of it appeared in the last 20 pounds or so.
  • cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    sbrandt37 wrote: »
    I'm sure it depends on age, genetics, perhaps how long you have been heavy, etc. I'm 52 and I have been 20 to 50 pounds overweight for 25 years. I have lost about 55 pounds this year, which is most of what I want to lose, and I have some loose skin. Not a whole lot, and it is improving, but enough to amuse my 12 year old daughter. Most of it appeared in the last 20 pounds or so.

That's cute sbrandt37 - LOL
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I agree with @sbrant37 in that there are lots of factors in play.

I lost ~30 lbs when I was 50 (I am now 52). I am 5'4" and went from 157 to 125 lbs. I have good muscle definition, too. But, I have a little loose skin (a bit of wrinkling at the thighs and a wee bit on top of my belly button). I think it's mostly due to my age and that I likely have sun-damaged skin. @cbstewart88 is lucky to have no loose skin!!

That said, don't worry too much. I would MUCH rather have loose skin yet be slim and fit rather than be 30 lbs heavier with no loose skin.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It's unlikely but not impossible.
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    It's possibly likely you've been losing weight at a very fast pace. People that usually don't have so much to lose like you typically lose about 0.5-1.0 pound a week. Which is about either 2 months a pound or 4 pounds. You're more than doubling this, but it may not happen to you.
    Lose weight slower.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,721 Member
    Options
    I lost about 60 pounds at age 59-60, and got a small amount of loose skin in some places. It's continued to shrink over the year (plus a little) that I've been in maintenance. Everyone's different, but given your young age, I think you have excellent odds of having less (or none) and, if you do have a bit, good chances it will shrink back more speedily and more fully in the long run, when you keep the weight off after.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Mine did, but I'm 53, so my skin can't be expected to be as elastic as yours.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    As others wrote, many factors come into play, but you do have youth on your side. I'm 5'2", 21 years old, maintain 108-114lbs, and started losing my 60lbs in my late teens. I had no loose skin then and none now.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    All of the above and my own anecdote. 35, 60lbs lost so far, 15-20 ish to go, no loose skin that I can tell so far. I didn't spend a significant amount of time at my highest weight which may have helped.
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I had some sag after 30 pounds, but it was more like droopiness all over. Saggy butt, saggy breasts, etc. But they lifted themselves back up after a few months. My entire body just needed to catch up a bit.

The other posters are right: the slower you lose, the more time your skin has to keep up.
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I've lost around 60 lbs altogether and went through two pregnancies (highest weight was 179 and lowest has been 119) - no loose skin :)