workout through the pain???

Options
I have been walking on treadmill for over a week now and my legs hurt. Do I push through the pain or is my body saying don't push it. This is my first time ever walking/running on a treadmill

Replies

• Aaish
    Aaish Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Bump!!
  • twiniemily
    twiniemily Posts: 24
    Options
    I've had exactly the same problem! I have had to take a day off to let them recover a bit and just doing a Yoga class tonight for a bit of stretching. Back on the treadmill tomorrow. I would personally say, don't over do it, you don't want it to get worse and have to take more than a few days off!
  • emmaNEEDSskinny
    Options
    if you dont faint puke or die carry on ;)
    Jullian Micheals
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I have been walking on treadmill for over a week now and my legs hurt. Do I push through the pain or is my body saying don't push it. This is my first time ever walking/running on a treadmill

What sort of pain? Joints? Muscles? Sharp, or a dull ache?

There's a difference between muscle soreness from working out and sharp or severe pain injoints or injury. You can work through muscle soreness, but any other sort of pain demands rest.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what the pain is. If you're getting plantar fasciitis, exercising through the pain will make worse. Ditto runner's knee. If you don't change what you're doing, and how you're doing it, you'll make things worse.

If it's simply muscle aches from starting a new program, plow ahead.

You may be doing too much too fast though. If you're new, never go more than 10% more per week. For example, if you go ten miles in the first week, don't do more than 11 miles the next.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Jullian Micheals

I know Jillian is famous for this saying, but this sort of philosophy is how people get injured and/or really turned off by exercise. There's no need to be miserable in order to see results.
  • got2bfitmom
    got2bfitmom Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Jullian Micheals

I like this
  • hyde1977
    hyde1977 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I cannot see your diary but I know for me when I first started working out and for about 6 months after I had pain. Not anything I could not work through but it felt strange! I was told to increase my water- I was like, well anything could be helpful! Now that I drink 1-2 liters while working out (2-4 cups) the pain is gone....that said...the pain was just felt like muscle soreness. Also make sure you are getting enough protein- again those were the 2 things that I was lacking and when I increased both the pain started to go away!

You have to know if its just pain or an injury!!!! Try increasing your water- if you are working out you need much more water then the suggested 8 cups per day and even that is low. To get your true water intake needed:

Take your weight/2= total ozs your body needs, you can take that number and divide by 8- that gives you the amount of cups you need!

Also make sure you have running/walking shoes on. Often people by crosstrainers and think well I can use them for everything! I have since learned this is not the best idea! I have a pair of each!
  • got2bfitmom
    Options
    it is my muscles but I did 15 minutes instead of 30
  • got2bfitmom
    Options
    I cannot see your diary but I know for me when I first started working out and for about 6 months after I had pain. Not anything I could not work through but it felt strange! I was told to increase my water- I was like, well anything could be helpful! Now that I drink 1-2 liters while working out (2-4 cups) the pain is gone....that said...the pain was just felt like muscle soreness. Also make sure you are getting enough protein- again those were the 2 things that I was lacking and when I increased both the pain started to go away!

You have to know if its just pain or an injury!!!! Try increasing your water- if you are working out you need much more water then the suggested 8 cups per day and even that is low. To get your true water intake needed:

Take your weight/2= total ozs your body needs, you can take that number and divide by 8- that gives you the amount of cups you need!

Also make sure you have running/walking shoes on. Often people by crosstrainers and think well I can use them for everything! I have since learned this is not the best idea! I have a pair of each!

thank you!!! im going to try all those suggestion. Im going to get new shoes today.
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I've had exactly the same problem! I have had to take a day off to let them recover a bit and just doing a Yoga class tonight for a bit of stretching. Back on the treadmill tomorrow. I would personally say, don't over do it, you don't want it to get worse and have to take more than a few days off!
    Be sure to do soem stretching and take a day off to see if you can give the muscles a rest. Stretching after you work out can majorly lessen any pains.
  • CynthiaS
    CynthiaS Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I was having a lot of leg pain & just walking or running thru it. Then I talked to my hubby & he looked at my shoes and started laughing ( he's a meanie lol ) he told me I'd feel better if I got rid of my 2 years old running shoes (duh) so my advise check your shoes if sole is bad buy new & switch out every 6 months. Now my legs & knees are feeling much better :)