Serious question

Options
I have a difficult time eating enough calories, usually after the exercise is factored in. Because of this the app won't let me "complete" my diary so I end up fudging foods in here (adding stuff I didn't really eat) just so I can complete the diary. It's frustrating. If I eat or drink when I'm not hungry I get physically sick and u comfortable--any ideas?

Replies

• Hello_its_Dan
    Hello_its_Dan Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I have a difficult time eating enough calories, usually after the exercise is factored in. Because of this the app won't let me "complete" my diary so I end up fudging foods in here (adding stuff I didn't really eat) just so I can complete the diary. It's frustrating. If I eat or drink when I'm not hungry I get physically sick and u comfortable--any ideas?

Liquid calories.
    Protein shake
    Juice
    Etc etc etc

Or

More calorically dense food.
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I just enter what I eat and even though MFP won't publish it ... it can still be seen from my friends if they choose by going to my profile page. I had gastric sleeve surgery due to serious health problems and can't eat a whole lot. But I would never add food I didn't eat. MFP angers me because of this. I am being monitored by nutritionist, take vitamins and am doing fine. I'm getting healthier. Long way to go but I will not fail. Good luck and add me if you choose. I'm always looking for new friends. Been back for the second time on MFP for only 3 days. Plan on staying a long time :)
  • alecgrodecki
    alecgrodecki Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Liquid calories and calorie dense foods like nuts.
  • allotmentqueen75
    allotmentqueen75 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am finding the calories given for exercise on here are too much. Maybe check that? Do you just rely on mfp for the data?
  • dustedwithsugar
    dustedwithsugar Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    size102b wrote: »
    If we got over weight we ate too much so how come you can't eat enough now ? I always find this confusing ?

It always makes me wonder too!
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I think there are more questions that need to be answered:

#1- Are you 100% sure you're counting accurately? As in, weighing food and UNDERestimating exercise burns?
    #2- How long have you had trouble "Eating enough"? A few days or a few weeks?
    #3- How much weight are you actually losing?
    #4- How far under your calorie goal are you reaching?

If your calories before exercise reach your goal, then I was just not add in the exercise to the log.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    If we got over weight we ate too much so how come you can't eat enough now ? I always find this confusing ?

A lot of people get overweight by either drinking a ton of calories or eating a whole lot of calorie-dense foods that aren't very filling. When you switch over to eating foods that aren't calorie-dense but are filling - roast broccoli instead of pasta, for instance - it can be difficult to eat as much as MFP thinks you need to. If you compare 100 calories of broccoli to 100 calories of pasta, for instance, the difference in volume is pretty significant.
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    I never close out my diary

Same. It's not worth the hassle.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    1. Don't fudge your diary. Consume more calorie dense foods or drinks. If you are eating super low fat foods then stop it. Eat some bread, a banana or a baked potato. Drink a glass of milk or juice. Use more condiments.
    2. Check to see that you are logging accurately and choosing the right entries. Weigh your food. You may be getting more calories than you think if you are not hungry but are under your goal.
    3. See a doctor to rule out medical conditions causing lack of appetite.
    4. Don't close your diary. It isn't required that you do so. Your logged food will still be there.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Eat more carbs and fat. You need those calories. Persistent undereating is bad for you and you are unlikely to lose weight successfully and maintain the loss long-term if you did it by undereating. Please. Stop starving yourself. The fact you don't feel hungry doesn't mean you don't need food.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options

You can change the calories you earn from exercise manually. Many consider the burns given my MFP to be inflated and only eat a percentage of them, such as 50%.

Another option is to eat calorie dense foods like nuts or nut butter. An ounce of pecans has almost 200 calories.
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options

It always makes me wonder too!

For me, my weight gain came from eating junk. And some bad habits of late night snacking. Once you cut that from your diet, and eat healthier food, you feel fuller faster. Im sort of an all or nothing person so while eating healthy I found it hard to hit calorie goals. But if I added something back in like old snacks , I had no self control. So I was better to just cut them altogether. When you aren't trying to lose weight, or aren't being conscientious about what you are eating, it's super easy to pack on weight.
  • mir1104
    mir1104 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    And don't log phantom foods. Even if it doesn't let you "complete" your diary, it continues to remember what you logged and it's still there and it still needs to be the truth.

THIS
  • Niples_
    Niples_ Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    It would be a lot easier to determine if it is an issue if you gave us details of how many calories you ate. How much exercise you did and how many calories MFP is saying you burned.
  • lewiskempster
    lewiskempster Posts: 1 Member
    Options

Hi Candice,

On Android you can click the top right corner on you diary, (where 3 days are displayed) and select 'Complete Diary' even if you haven't hit your targets,

Regards

Lewis