Binge eating

Options
I keep binging! I always get the urge then the next day I restart my diet... I need to stop as I know it's unhealthy and its taking over my life and diet!

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Pre-planning should help prevent binging.
  • mangorabbit
    mangorabbit Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I have tended toward this - perhaps pre-planning would have helped me more, but often I'd set aside foods or meals, only to go back and eat them later that day. Still working on it, but remember to breathe and be kind to yourself. One of the most helpful things I have done was to set a time in the evening when eating should stop. (I aim for 8pm, with a hard stop at 9pm for when dinner starts late.)
    Also, herbal tea or water, flat or fizzy (you can get flavours without sweeteners in them)if you prefer a taste and texture.
    Good luck, you can do this!
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    Don't know all details but binging can very well happen to those who have dieted long term and or who are seriously restricting calories. Serious restriction will result in the subconscious feeling that there is a threat to your health. You will then battle relentless thoughts and desires to binge. If this is where your binges are coming from, it's best to eat healthy and balanced; and diet less aggressively.
    Binging can also be triggered by emotions. But I'm less familiar with that.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're eating enough during the day. If it's happening at night, it's probably some sort of hormonal urge and you need to learn to either control it or ignore it. Dealing with binge eating is.... difficult, but if it's not undercontrol you will stay overweight. I wish I had answers, all you can do is not do it. Very simple to do as in not complicated, but hard to do as in our brains are wired to consume calories en masse. Just gotta keep strong. We all do.
  • PrincessTinyheart
    PrincessTinyheart Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Have you considered keeping a journal to track your feelings and situations when you binge eat? Do you do it when you are around certain people or places? Do you do it when you're sad, angry, stressed, etc? This might help you identify the root cause of your bingeing.