Are green giant steamers really healthy?

Options

Replies

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    There are some with sauce, some without. The honey glazed carrots are too many calories for me, but they're so damn tasty! The brussels sprouts in butter sauce are my main veg. I also like the healthy vision and antioxidant blend varieties.

Anyway, they're fine. They're vegetables. What do you think would be unhealthy about them?
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,884 Member
    Options
    jbrunner2 wrote: »

Why would they be unhealthy?

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I can't rely on the sauced varieties to be gluten free, so I mainly eat the plain veggies, and eat them all the time.

Why wouldn't they be healthy?

Most frozen veg are flash frozen and are often fresher than fresh produce which has been shipped from far away these days.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    They're perfectly fine. I generally stay away from the sauced ones but that's just because I like to season veggies my way.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    ... wondering if "unhealthy" means the product or the packing (& microwaving the bag)??

I came across an article or something recently about chemicals used in food packaging. Didn't have time to read it, though.
  • courtneylykins5
    courtneylykins5 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I certainly hope not. A steam in bag type veggie usually makes a twice a day appearance at meals here. Then again none of us are sick or dead yet.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    CTcutie wrote: »
    ... wondering if "unhealthy" means the product or the packing (& microwaving the bag)??

I came across an article or something recently about chemicals used in food packaging. Didn't have time to read it, though.

Me either. Not even with the time saved by using Green Giant steamers.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »

Why would they be unhealthy?

I'm guessing because they are Double Whammy of Evil - processed AND boxed.

They aren't unhealthy imo. Eat them if you like them.

Triple whammy - they go in the microwave!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    edited March 2017
    Options
    PS: I'm eating a bag of Baby Broccoli Blend right now as I read this thread.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    PS: I'm eating a bag of Baby Broccoli Blend right now as I read this thread.

For science!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I love the simplicity of them! But I grabbed a big handful of bags to toss in my cart one day recently an have bought them before so I thought, no biggee, right?! Well for whatever reason I flipped a couple over to double check that veggies was the only ingredient. OOPS, it wasn't it has oil and salt in it. It wasn't a sauce one and I have no idea why it had oil in it, it was a simple mix I'd always bought of cauli, carrots and broccoli.

So now I'm more careful.. I don't know what was going on there... it seemed to be the newer bags. I love veggies just plain from the freezer then if I want to add something I can do it after they are cooked. Usually I don't and I definitely want to know if there's something added to a bag I purchase that doesn't need to be there.

Maybe that's why the increase of thread about this topic recently?
  • tabletop_joe
    tabletop_joe Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I like them too! But at home I like to use my big bamboo steamer. I recommend getting one if you like steamed food--they're inexpensive, cook quickly and perfectly, and you can stack additional layers to make your whole steamed meal at once.
  • Hello_its_Dan
    Hello_its_Dan Posts: 406 Member
    Options

I eat them all the time. Good stuff and inexpensive.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    Love so many frozen veggies- good stuff