Cravings help!

Options
What does everyone eat when the cravings hit?? I can't stop eating chocolate I've no self control :D

Replies

• dannybias50
    dannybias50 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Dark chocolate helps curve cravings
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Buy a small bar, suck the squares, enjoy it and make it fit your weekly calories.
  • arlzixxx
    arlzixxx Posts: 30 Member
    Options

Yock I hate dark chocolate! Sorry :p:D
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Cravings are hard. I can ignore hunger but ignoring cravings is a nail bitter for me. I usually get hormonal cravings every 4-6 weeks during which time I indulge. Now with the beginning phases of perimenopause, they are becoming more frequent.
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Funnily enough I have found some herbal teas that have great flavor and distract from the cravings. My fave is a seasonal Trader Joe's harvest blend but around Christmas Celestial Seasonings has a bunch of treat flavored herbal teas. I don't add sweetener so 0 calories. I do have small cinnamon stick chunks that I add into the water with the tea bag to brew which also punches up the flavor. My MIL actually found a chocolate mint herbal tea too
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Cravings are a habit that you can unlearn and replace. Drink water. Take a walk. Do something else. It'll pass.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Sugar free gum
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    My mantra- Am I hungry? Am I really hungry? Why do I want to eat if I'm not hungry?? Little craving voice, I'm going to ignore you, since I've determined I'm not hungry. It can be a real battle sometimes, where I have this internal conversation every 15 minutes or so, until the craving either passes, or I manage to finally just say no. If all else fails, I log the food I wasn't hungry for but ate anyway, and try to have as low a red number as possible. That has been a big help as well.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I friend of mine told me purchased a plush 'devil' and he keeps it in his car. Whenever he wants to pull over into the Jack-In-The-Box or the Little Caesar's Pizza, he addresses the devil and tells it that he's not going to let the devil lead him into temptation.

He's odd. That's odd. You might want to try something like that.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can keep a small number of individually-wrapped single-servings of chocolate in your house. Ghirardelli sells them. Eat just one a day. I find darker chocolate more satisfying, but whatever. I eat a piece most days and still lose weight.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    arlzixxx wrote: »
    What does everyone eat when the cravings hit?? I can't stop eating chocolate I've no self control :D

@arlzixxx best of success in finding the cause(s) of your cravings. In my case it was sugar and all forms of grain it seems because when I left sugar and grains it was a hellish two weeks then the cravings just faded fast. That was 2.5 years ago and the cravings have not come back yet.

Keep looking and you will find your trigger foods I expect.

Welcome to MFP forums.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Sugar free jello and Pepsi one. It really works for me.
  • birgitkwood
    birgitkwood Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Is there a particular time of day maybe when the cravings tend to hit you? For example, for me it was evenings after dinner when I'd be relaxing in front of the TV. That's when the cravings voices would begin to shout at me. A little over a month ago I made a commitment to no longer eat anything after 7pm. I now brush my teeth, tell my husband (and myself) the kitchen is closed, and that's that. Now, when those cravings voices start to babble, I say "nope, I'm not the kind of person who eats after 7pm." And I don't! For me, this approach took the focus off the food I thought I wanted, and put it on the act of eating, which I didn't really need. Over the course of the month, the voices have increasingly learned to shut up. During the day I eat whatever I want, as long as it fits in my calorie allotment. Nothing is off the "table," even chocolate, if that's what I want. But at night - nothing. Hope you find a solution that works for you. Good luck!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'd make a mug cake with cocoa powder and stevia.

http://happyhealthymama.com/1-minute-sugar-free-brownie.html
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    arlzixxx wrote: »

Yock I hate dark chocolate! Sorry :p:D

Have you tried Dove dark? It's like the "gateway chocolate to dark"...more flavorful than milk but not as bitter as some darks can be. one square can totally satisfy my chocolate cravings (50 calories). I also use SF chocolate pudding or hot chocolate...those work as well!
  • JasonlRoeder
    JasonlRoeder Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    When I'm at work I like to make a cup of warm tea. Something like green tea that's infused with blueberries. It does a good job curbing those hunger cravings.
  • Kelll12123
    Kelll12123 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    A chocolate protein shake or a cup of tea usually does it for me. I try not to keep anything that might tempt me in the house because I tend to not have much self control.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Funnily enough I have found some herbal teas that have great flavor and distract from the cravings. My fave is a seasonal Trader Joe's harvest blend but around Christmas Celestial Seasonings has a bunch of treat flavored herbal teas. I don't add sweetener so 0 calories. I do have small cinnamon stick chunks that I add into the water with the tea bag to brew which also punches up the flavor. My MIL actually found a chocolate mint herbal tea too

Green tea was very helpful to me at one time. I used to drink the Bigelow brand, but I have very expensive composites on my teeth now. So, I had to stop the tea because the residue from the tea would stain my composites. I learned that the hard way when I had to pay a chunk of money to get them redone. I really wish I could still drink it though. Very good suggestion.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I agree with @leejoyce31. Teas are the best, iced or hot. You can make interesting iced teas by mixing black or green tea with herb tea. I love strong iced tea with milk and equal in the summer (iced tea latte).