Pre and post workout

Options
I need help here I'm going to start going to the gym pretty soon and need some help deciding what to eat before and after or consume I should say, anyways I eat breakfast at 7am at work they give me the early lunch I usually eat a ham and cheese sandwich on wheat bread , then I'll be heading into the gym around 3pm don't want to be to hungry going in and don't want to be to full for dinner which is usually at 5:30pm so any suggestions what to eat prior to working out and after? Thanks

Replies

• mdnorthside
    mdnorthside Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to be hungry going into it and you don't want to be full afterwards I think eating before hand, something small like a piece of fruit, would be best. But I agree with the poster above - meal timing is much less important early on. Just focus on creating a plan that fits your calorie and macro goals and then follow it.
    As they say - the best diet is the one you can actually stick to!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I eat a light snack beforehand. Too much food before a work out makes me feel sluggish and sick, but nothing at all makes me crash and burn. Everyone is different. I could tell right away that working out fasted was not OK for me, and yet some other people love it. You'll probably figure out what works best for you relatively quickly.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    If you're just starting, don't stress it. Just eat your meals at your normal times, and make sure you are getting enough protein and carbs in. Leave the meal timing and content worries for later, when they will actually matter (after you've been lifting for a year or two).

Exactly what I was going to say. Just fit it in to your normal routine.
    Start eating like a pro when you are training like a pro.

Getting ridiculous these days with people amped up on simulant laden pre workouts and chugging from a protein shaker when they are just doing a very ordinary workout.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    If you're just starting, don't stress it. Just eat your meals at your normal times, and make sure you are getting enough protein and carbs in. Leave the meal timing and content worries for later, when they will actually matter (after you've been lifting for a year or two).

Exactly what I was going to say. Just fit it in to your normal routine.
    Start eating like a pro when you are training like a pro.

Getting ridiculous these days with people amped up on simulant laden pre workouts and chugging from a protein shaker when they are just doing a very ordinary workout.

Well, to be fair, most if the pwos these days are crap anyway. Seriously, it's usually just caffeine, some BCAAs, a vasodilator, and a bunch of filler.

Gone are the days of the legit pwos that could give you a heart attack if you hit them too hard. :(
  • whitney91smith
    whitney91smith Posts: 17 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    This is a great question and an area where I used to not be as good at with my nutrition and my results and training suffered because of it.

Pre workout and even throughout the day you're going to want to eat a predominantly carb and protein based diet somewhere in the area of 40% carbs/40% protein/20% fat with your macros. This will give your body the fuel it needs, carbs, to keep you going through your daily activities, your workout, and give your body the energy it needs for muscle growth. Eating about 40% protein is also going to be important to keep your body in an anabolic, fat burning/muscle building state, throughout the day as well.

Eating breakfast is very important in the morning because when you wake up you're in a catabolic, muscle breakdown, state from not eating during the night, so your body is consuming muscle tissue and storing fat. You want to eat a high protein breakfast to get your body back into that anabolic muscle building state. It's important to stay anabolic not only to build muscle and burn fat, but to also maintain what muscle mass you naturally have because muscle tissue is the only metabolic tissue your body has, so the more muscle mass you have, the higher your resting metabolism. Your breakfast should contain about 25-35g of protein.

Then your early lunch, which I'm going to guess is about 10:30 to 11, should contain another 25-35g of protein and you can add some additional carbs to this meal because you know you're going into the gym in a few hours and your body is going to need fuel to get you through your workout. If you feel hungry about an hour out before going to the gym you can have a light snack, like nonfat Greek yogurt for example. I'm a big fan of dannon oikos triple zero because of its almost 1 to 1 ratio of protein to carbs and I know it won't sit on my stomach long because I don't like working out with that full stomach feeling.

Then post workout, this is the ONLY time I recommend a supplement over a whole food because post workout is the ONLY time supplements are superior to whole foods because the body can't digest a whole food fast enough to get the nutrients shuttled into the muscle cell fast enough for proper recovery. Post workout you are going to want to take a cold temperature, cross flow micro filtered processed, hydrolyzed whey protein isolate in combination with a fast absorbing carb like pure dexanhydrous glucose. It's important for the whey to be hydrolyzed and an isolate so it starts being absorbed immediately after consumption and it needs to be cold temperature cross flow micro-filtered processed to have high bioavailability. A pure dexanhydrous glucose is important because it's a carbohydrate at its purest form and requires no digestion by the body so it can be absorbed and used immediately.

The classic post workout nutrition is to just down some random protein shake post workout, but here is the problem with this and why this method will leave you so sore the next day you're crawling up stairs, you're not feeding your body proper post workout nutrition. When your body is in a post workout state it is catabolic at that point. You have depleted your body's glycogen stores, fuel stores, and your body's main goal post workout is to replenish those stores. This is done by consuming carbs. Here's the problem with just drinking a scoop of protein, once consumed your body will go through a process where it literally changes that protein into a carbohydrate then stores it as glycogen for energy. This is part of our body's natural ability to survive. This is also an inefficient way for your body to get carbs. Once your body is done replenishing glycogen let's say there's about 10g of protein left for your body to use for muscle repair. That's not enough and that's why that method will leave you sore the next day. The combination of hydrolyzed whey isolate and the pure dexanhydrous glucose gives your body exactly what it needs, a fast acting carb to replenish glycogen and a fast acting protein to repair muscle. It also puts your body back into that anabolic, muscle building/fat buring, state you want to stay in. This combination has been a huge game changer for me because I can train harder the day after a workout because I'm not as sore anymore and I'm seeing faster gains because I'm giving my body what it actually needs.

After you consume that post workout it will be absorbed pretty much immediately. You should be hungry again within about 45min to an hour. If you feel a little hungry before your dinner eat another small high protein snack like Greek yogurt or some cottage cheese and a fruit. Then at dinner make sure you eat a very nutritious meal that's high protein, about 30-35g, and has good carbs, like rice or quinoa, and some vegetables. Then if you're going to bed about three hours later I would recommend drinking a meal replacement shake to help your body recover those muscles while you sleep. It not only tastes good and can give you that sweet fix we sometimes crave at night but it's also cold temperature cross flow micro-filtered processed to assure high bioavailability. It's also designed to feed your body a steady stream of nutrients for about 2-3 hours. I also use that shake in between meals or during the day when I don't have time to prepare a meal to eat which happens a lot to me since I manage our family farm full time and I'm hardly in the house during the day, but again I would rather see someone eat whole foods during the day for thier meals instead of just drinking protein shakes but I understand life gets busy and a protein shake is the best someone can do at that time for a good nutritious meal.
  • whitney91smith
    Options
    ^^that has got to be one of the most convoluted combinations of good advice and total bullcrap that I have ever seen.

Thanks for your opinion and I would be more than happy to discuss any of that because I know for 100% fact none of that it bullcrap and is 100% science based information. There's nothing bullcrap about feeding your body what it needs, when you need it. That's just doing fitness the right way. That's how you get results and create something that is maintainable for a lifetime and not some crash diet. I would never give anyone false or "foo foo information" because I've been there done that with all the "bro science" things that don't work. Some "bro science" is actually been scientifically proven to be true but some is total bull crap especially when it comes to nutrition.
  • whitney91smith
    edited March 2017
    Options
    This is a great question and an area where I used to not be as good at with my nutrition and my results and training suffered because of it.

Pre workout and even throughout the day you're going to want to eat a predominantly carb and protein based diet somewhere in the area of 40% carbs/40% protein/20% fat with your macros. This will give your body the fuel it needs, carbs, to keep you going through your daily activities, your workout, and give your body the energy it needs for muscle growth. Eating about 40% protein is also going to be important to keep your body in an anabolic, fat burning/muscle building state, throughout the day as well.

Eating breakfast is very important in the morning because when you wake up you're in a catabolic, muscle breakdown, state from not eating during the night, so your body is consuming muscle tissue and storing fat. You want to eat a high protein breakfast to get your body back into that anabolic muscle building state. It's important to stay anabolic not only to build muscle and burn fat, but to also maintain what muscle mass you naturally have because muscle tissue is the only metabolic tissue your body has, so the more muscle mass you have, the higher your resting metabolism. Your breakfast should contain about 25-35g of protein.

Then your early lunch, which I'm going to guess is about 10:30 to 11, should contain another 25-35g of protein and you can add some additional carbs to this meal because you know you're going into the gym in a few hours and your body is going to need fuel to get you through your workout. If you feel hungry about an hour out before going to the gym you can have a light snack, like nonfat Greek yogurt for example. I'm a big fan of dannon oikos triple zero because of its almost 1 to 1 ratio of protein to carbs and I know it won't sit on my stomach long because I don't like working out with that full stomach feeling.

Then post workout, this is the ONLY time I recommend a supplement over a whole food because post workout is the ONLY time supplements are superior to whole foods because the body can't digest a whole food fast enough to get the nutrients shuttled into the muscle cell fast enough for proper recovery. Post workout you are going to want to take a cold temperature, cross flow micro filtered processed, hydrolyzed whey protein isolate in combination with a fast absorbing carb like pure dexanhydrous glucose. It's important for the whey to be hydrolyzed and an isolate so it starts being absorbed immediately after consumption and it needs to be cold temperature cross flow micro-filtered processed to have high bioavailability. A pure dexanhydrous glucose is important because it's a carbohydrate at its purest form and requires no digestion by the body so it can be absorbed and used immediately.

The classic post workout nutrition is to just down some random protein shake post workout, but here is the problem with this and why this method will leave you so sore the next day you're crawling up stairs, you're not feeding your body proper post workout nutrition. When your body is in a post workout state it is catabolic at that point. You have depleted your body's glycogen stores, fuel stores, and your body's main goal post workout is to replenish those stores. This is done by consuming carbs. Here's the problem with just drinking a scoop of protein, once consumed your body will go through a process where it literally changes that protein into a carbohydrate then stores it as glycogen for energy. This is part of our body's natural ability to survive. This is also an inefficient way for your body to get carbs. Once your body is done replenishing glycogen let's say there's about 10g of protein left for your body to use for muscle repair. That's not enough and that's why that method will leave you sore the next day. The combination of hydrolyzed whey isolate and the pure dexanhydrous glucose gives your body exactly what it needs, a fast acting carb to replenish glycogen and a fast acting protein to repair muscle. It also puts your body back into that anabolic, muscle building/fat buring, state you want to stay in. This combination has been a huge game changer for me because I can train harder the day after a workout because I'm not as sore anymore and I'm seeing faster gains because I'm giving my body what it actually needs.

After you consume that post workout it will be absorbed pretty much immediately. You should be hungry again within about 45min to an hour. If you feel a little hungry before your dinner eat another small high protein snack like Greek yogurt or some cottage cheese and a fruit. Then at dinner make sure you eat a very nutritious meal that's high protein, about 30-35g, and has good carbs, like rice or quinoa, and some vegetables. Then if you're going to bed about three hours later I would recommend drinking a meal replacement shake to help your body recover those muscles while you sleep. It not only tastes good and can give you that sweet fix we sometimes crave at night but it's also cold temperature cross flow micro-filtered processed to assure high bioavailability. It's also designed to feed your body a steady stream of nutrients for about 2-3 hours. I also use that shake in between meals or during the day when I don't have time to prepare a meal to eat which happens a lot to me since I manage our family farm full time and I'm hardly in the house during the day, but again I would rather see someone eat whole foods during the day for thier meals instead of just drinking protein shakes but I understand life gets busy and a protein shake is the best someone can do at that time for a good nutritious meal.

WTF?

I was just trying to help the person out that asked the original question. I'm sorry if any of that offended you. I've been in the beginner's shoes before and any "real" help is nice to have to avoid all the "fitness pitfalls" of misinformation.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    OP - suggest you ignore over-complicated twaddle and shameless plugs.
    Eat, train, repeat. Doesn't have to be any more complicated than that.
  • whitney91smith
    Options
    1: I agree with you entirely on the macro breakdown, and have seen my best results in that realm.

2: muscle is not the only metabolic tissue that your body has. In fact, it's calorie consumption is VERY low compared to things like the brain, heart and liver.

3: even whey protein iso takes about 30 minutes for the AAs to get into the blood stream. There's nothing instant about it.

4: a single workout is not going to deplete glycogen stores to an appreciable degree, unless we are talking several hours. In fact, when I am running RFL cuts, lifting 3x/week AND walking 5-10 miles per day, it takes me several days to completely deplete.

5: glucose/dextrose is in fact a fantastic simple sugar source for replenishment, so we agree here.

6: straight milk protein has proven to be the most advantageous for covering overnight catabolism. Alan Aragon covered this pretty well over the last few years. Straight MPI (which is 20% whey, 80% casein) is considered best in class. I know it's not as sexy as cross-filtered, microhydrolyzed blah blah blah, but reality is what it is.

I'm glad we agree on 1 and 5. Maybe I wasn't clear enough with my other information.

2. Muscle tissue, that includes your heart cause it's a muscle, is what is actively burning muscle for you throughout the day. It has control over your metabolism. Your organs daily functions are a base for your metabolism, but your metabolism is regulated by the amount of muscle tissue your body has. A good example of this is why men usually burn more calories then women because thier body naturally contains more muscle tissue thus giving them a higher metabolism.

3. I'm not talking about a simple whey protein isolate. I'm talking about a hydrolyzed, meaning already partially broken down, form of whey isolate. Think of a normal whey isolate like a pack of starburst, the whole unit in the wrapper is a complete protein with its amino acid chain in tact. Then a hydrolyzed whey protein isolate, is like taking those starburst out of the wrapper so they can be eat quicker, or partially breaking down the amino acid chain so the body doesn't have to waste energy doing it. This hydrolization allows your body to absorb the amino acids faster with them reaching your muscles in about 15 mins after consumption.

4. I was not referring to 100% depletion of your body's glycogen stores. I know about this first hand from being an obstacle course race athlete and running up and down a mountain side for miles and doing strength movements in between. It takes a while and a ton of work to completely deplete your stores. Your muscle tissue stores about 2000+- calories in glycogen at all times and your liver stores about 500+- calories at all times. That's about 2500+- calories at all times your body has as a stored fuel source, so no normal workout is going to 100% deplete them, but any workout and/or movement of your body throughout the day is going to utilize some of these glycogen stores. Your body will naturally replenish these first when you consume something post workout before it repairs muscle tissue. This is a survival mechanism your body naturally has. Your body doesn't care about looking good and building muscle it cares about staying alive.

6. Cold temperature cross flow micro-filtered processed is a method of processing whey protein that does not completely denature, or damage, it and allows the protein to keep its bioavailability to be used for muscle protein synthesis. Your average protein powder is ion exchange processed where they use high temperature processing and added chemicals to dry the whey into a powder. This process completely denatures the protein rendering it unusable by the body for muscle protein synthesis. Think of it like this, you put a chicken breast in the crock pot on low for 4 hours. When it's done it's juicy, falls apart, and obviously looks nutritious. That's an example of cold temperature cross flow micro-filtered processed whey. Now take another chicken breast from that same package and put it on the grill at about 700 degrees, about the same temperature where they process ion exchange processed protein, and when you take it off the grill it will be blacked, shrunken, twisted and obviously has no nutritious value at that point. I didn't throw that description in to sound fancy, I threw it in so the person asking the original question doesn't waste thier money on a whey protein that's not going to help him reach his fitness goals.

When it comes to nighttime protein, protein is protein simple as that. There is no such thing as a protein that will keep you anabolic all night long unless you get up during the night to drink it and go back to bed. Protein keeps your body anabolic on about a 10g per hour basis. So if you take in 30g of protein before bed, this can be a protein shake, a steak, some tuna, etc., at about 3 hours after you go to sleep your body will become catabolic again unless you wake up and eat.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    2: men's organs are also larger than women's in most cases. This includes lungs, heart, brain, kidneys, etc. This explains why a trained woman with muscle tissue similar to a non-trained male will still usually have a lower RMR, all else being equal.

3: I know the difference between hydrolyzed and standard. The problem is that hydrolyzed protein is pointless. You are basically overpaying for bitter tasting senselessness. There was a lot of early hype about it that has been proven false since 2009 and beyond. If that's your bag, enjoy.

4: I see what you were getting at now. My apologies for picking at semantics.

6: cooking does denature proteins, however denatured proteins are not unable to be used for MPS. You are thinking destroyed, not denatured, at 700 degrees. Pretty big difference.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    ^^that has got to be one of the most convoluted combinations of good advice and total bullcrap that I have ever seen.

Thanks for your opinion and I would be more than happy to discuss any of that because I know for 100% fact none of that it bullcrap and is 100% science based information. There's nothing bullcrap about feeding your body what it needs, when you need it. That's just doing fitness the right way. That's how you get results and create something that is maintainable for a lifetime and not some crash diet. I would never give anyone false or "foo foo information" because I've been there done that with all the "bro science" things that don't work. Some "bro science" is actually been scientifically proven to be true but some is total bull crap especially when it comes to nutrition.

You're majoring in the minors for a beginner.

For the OP. Eat a well balanced diet, don't worry about timing. If you think you will be hungry, eat a banana an hour or 2 before exercise with some water.
  • whitney91smith
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

You're majoring in the minors for a beginner.

For the OP. Eat a well balanced diet, don't worry about timing. If you think you will be hungry, eat a banana an hour or 2 before exercise with some water.

Sorry, my apologies, that wasn't my intention to the OP. I'm the type of person that wants to know the specifics of how to do things the right way from the beginning. I was just trying to help the OP avoid setbacks.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

How does that explain people who have had great success with Intermittent Fasting?

Nutrient timing is all but irrelevant for the vast majority of people. It's majoring in the minors except in very specific conditions. I'll leave this graphic, courtesy of Alan Aragon:

hjzwqile2q9y.jpg
  • whitney91smith
    Options
    2: men's organs are also larger than women's in most cases. This includes lungs, heart, brain, kidneys, etc. This explains why a trained woman with muscle tissue similar to a non-trained male will still usually have a lower RMR, all else being equal.

3: I know the difference between hydrolyzed and standard. The problem is that hydrolyzed protein is pointless. You are basically overpaying for bitter tasting senselessness. There was a lot of early hype about it that has been proven false since 2009 and beyond. If that's your bag, enjoy.

4: I see what you were getting at now. My apologies for picking at semantics.

6: cooking does denature proteins, however denatured proteins are not unable to be used for MPS. You are thinking destroyed, not denatured, at 700 degrees. Pretty big difference.

I think we're pretty much on the same page now. Everyone has thier opinion about protein I'm just going off my knowledge from my education over the years and what I've learned from people who have NASM certifications and over 5 years in the industry, some of which are the top nutrition coaches in the country, that I'm constantly learning from and work with on a weekly basis. I can guarantee you the hydrolyzed whey protein isolate I use is not bitter and is the best tasting protein I've ever used, it actually tastes like fruit loops and even the picky people who absolutely hate protein powders or even the thought of them love the type I use. So again to each his own and there's scientific evidence for and against hydrolyzed whey protein and its value. I just know I've personally seen its value in my results and training. Plus the nutrition coaches I work with have seen it work time and again in scientific studies. 700 degrees is the industry standard temperature for ion exchange processed protein so ultimately you are correct with that description, the amino acids of this type of processed protein is pretty much destroyed. Denatured, or like you said destroyed, protein can be used by the body for protein synthesis, building hair, skin, nails, ect., but not specifically muscle protein synthesis because the amino acids are damaged in a way that the body cannot figure out how to use them to build/repair muscle tissue.
  • whitney91smith
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

How does that explain people who have had great success with Intermittent Fasting?

Nutrient timing is all but irrelevant for the vast majority of people. It's majoring in the minors except in very specific conditions. I'll leave this graphic, courtesy of Alan Aragon:

hjzwqile2q9y.jpg

I did intermittent fasting for over two years and yes I had great results with it and I loved it. I think it's a good choice for someone looking for a maintenance for of a nutrition plan, but it is an extreme way to eat for most people. If you don't have the right mindset it can create an unhealthy relationship with food that results in conditions such as binge eating. You will also reach a platue with intermittent fasting, especially when it comes to fat loss. It's simple if you want to burn fat your body has to be in an anabolic state so you have to feed it the nutrients it needs to keep it there. These nutrients happen to be protein, because it keeps your body anabolic, and carbs to give your body the fuel it needs to function and burn stored fat for energy. When you're catabolic your body stores fat and burns muscle for energy. Most people think taking BCAA will combat this but you can't gain muscle with just BCAA. You have to feed your body the right nutrients for muscle growth and fat loss. Intermittent fasting is great for someine just trying to lose weight, but not necessarily fat loss in the long run. Fat loss and weight loss are two different things entirely.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

hjzwqile2q9y.jpg

I did intermittent fasting for over two years and yes I had great results with it and I loved it. I think it's a good choice for someone looking for a maintenance for of a nutrition plan, but it is an extreme way to eat for most people. If you don't have the right mindset it can create an unhealthy relationship with food that results in conditions such as binge eating. You will also reach a platue with intermittent fasting, especially when it comes to fat loss. It's simple if you want to burn fat your body has to be in an anabolic state so you have to feed it the nutrients it needs to keep it there. These nutrients happen to be protein, because it keeps your body anabolic, and carbs to give your body the fuel it needs to function and burn stored fat for energy. When you're catabolic your body stores fat and burns muscle for energy. Most people think taking BCAA will combat this but you can't gain muscle with just BCAA. You have to feed your body the right nutrients for muscle growth and fat loss. Intermittent fasting is great for someine just trying to lose weight, but not necessarily fat loss in the long run. Fat loss and weight loss are two different things entirely.

We certainly agree on the BCAA point. Leucine giving the "build all the muscles" signal is useless without the other AAs required for the actual MPS to happen.