Pre and post workout

Options
2»

Replies

• whitney91smith
    whitney91smith Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Eating breakfast is very important in the morning because when you wake up you're in a catabolic, muscle breakdown, state from not eating during the night, so your body is consuming muscle tissue and storing fat. You want to eat a high protein breakfast to get your body back into that anabolic muscle building state. It's important to stay anabolic not only to build muscle and burn fat, but to also maintain what muscle mass you naturally have because muscle tissue is the only metabolic tissue your body has, so the more muscle mass you have, the higher your resting metabolism. Your breakfast should contain about 25-35g of protein.

How does that explain people who have had great success with Intermittent Fasting?

Nutrient timing is all but irrelevant for the vast majority of people. It's majoring in the minors except in very specific conditions. I'll leave this graphic, courtesy of Alan Aragon:

hjzwqile2q9y.jpg

I did intermittent fasting for over two years and yes I had great results with it and I loved it. I think it's a good choice for someone looking for a maintenance for of a nutrition plan, but it is an extreme way to eat for most people. If you don't have the right mindset it can create an unhealthy relationship with food that results in conditions such as binge eating. You will also reach a platue with intermittent fasting, especially when it comes to fat loss. It's simple if you want to burn fat your body has to be in an anabolic state so you have to feed it the nutrients it needs to keep it there. These nutrients happen to be protein, because it keeps your body anabolic, and carbs to give your body the fuel it needs to function and burn stored fat for energy. When you're catabolic your body stores fat and burns muscle for energy. Most people think taking BCAA will combat this but you can't gain muscle with just BCAA. You have to feed your body the right nutrients for muscle growth and fat loss. Intermittent fasting is great for someine just trying to lose weight, but not necessarily fat loss in the long run. Fat loss and weight loss are two different things entirely.

We certainly agree on the BCAA point. Leucine giving the "build all the muscles" signal is useless without the other AAs required for the actual MPS to happen.

Yep, that's definitely true. BCAA are like a foreman on a job site overseeing that everything goes as planned but nothing really gets done until the workers, essential amino acids, show up to get the job done.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    2: men's organs are also larger than women's in most cases. This includes lungs, heart, brain, kidneys, etc. This explains why a trained woman with muscle tissue similar to a non-trained male will still usually have a lower RMR, all else being equal.

3: I know the difference between hydrolyzed and standard. The problem is that hydrolyzed protein is pointless. You are basically overpaying for bitter tasting senselessness. There was a lot of early hype about it that has been proven false since 2009 and beyond. If that's your bag, enjoy.

4: I see what you were getting at now. My apologies for picking at semantics.

6: cooking does denature proteins, however denatured proteins are not unable to be used for MPS. You are thinking destroyed, not denatured, at 700 degrees. Pretty big difference.

I think we're pretty much on the same page now. Everyone has thier opinion about protein I'm just going off my knowledge from my education over the years and what I've learned from people who have NASM certifications and over 5 years in the industry, some of which are the top nutrition coaches in the country, that I'm constantly learning from and work with on a weekly basis. I can guarantee you the hydrolyzed whey protein isolate I use is not bitter and is the best tasting protein I've ever used, it actually tastes like fruit loops and even the picky people who absolutely hate protein powders or even the thought of them love the type I use. So again to each his own and there's scientific evidence for and against hydrolyzed whey protein and its value. I just know I've personally seen its value in my results and training. Plus the nutrition coaches I work with have seen it work time and again in scientific studies. 700 degrees is the industry standard temperature for ion exchange processed protein so ultimately you are correct with that description, the amino acids of this type of processed protein is pretty much destroyed. Denatured, or like you said destroyed, protein can be used by the body for protein synthesis, building hair, skin, nails, ect., but not specifically muscle protein synthesis because the amino acids are damaged in a way that the body cannot figure out how to use them to build/repair muscle tissue.

If you're looking for the top nutrition people in the country, look for people that have PhD and or RD (Registered Dietitian) behind their names. Someone with NASM certification and not the PhD or RD is not among the top nutrition people in the country.
  • whitney91smith
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    2: men's organs are also larger than women's in most cases. This includes lungs, heart, brain, kidneys, etc. This explains why a trained woman with muscle tissue similar to a non-trained male will still usually have a lower RMR, all else being equal.

3: I know the difference between hydrolyzed and standard. The problem is that hydrolyzed protein is pointless. You are basically overpaying for bitter tasting senselessness. There was a lot of early hype about it that has been proven false since 2009 and beyond. If that's your bag, enjoy.

6: cooking does denature proteins, however denatured proteins are not unable to be used for MPS. You are thinking destroyed, not denatured, at 700 degrees. Pretty big difference.

I think we're pretty much on the same page now. Everyone has thier opinion about protein I'm just going off my knowledge from my education over the years and what I've learned from people who have NASM certifications and over 5 years in the industry, some of which are the top nutrition coaches in the country, that I'm constantly learning from and work with on a weekly basis. I can guarantee you the hydrolyzed whey protein isolate I use is not bitter and is the best tasting protein I've ever used, it actually tastes like fruit loops and even the picky people who absolutely hate protein powders or even the thought of them love the type I use. So again to each his own and there's scientific evidence for and against hydrolyzed whey protein and its value. I just know I've personally seen its value in my results and training. Plus the nutrition coaches I work with have seen it work time and again in scientific studies. 700 degrees is the industry standard temperature for ion exchange processed protein so ultimately you are correct with that description, the amino acids of this type of processed protein is pretty much destroyed. Denatured, or like you said destroyed, protein can be used by the body for protein synthesis, building hair, skin, nails, ect., but not specifically muscle protein synthesis because the amino acids are damaged in a way that the body cannot figure out how to use them to build/repair muscle tissue.

If you're looking for the top nutrition people in the country, look for people that have PhD and or RD (Registered Dietitian) behind their names. Someone with NASM certification and not the PhD or RD is not among the top nutrition people in the country.

That's a great point and I understand where you're coming from with that advice. The people I'm referring to have helped thousands of people have success with anything from weight loss to putting people on the stage and getting thier pro card and everything in between. They don't make a certification that represents real life experience and that means more than anything you'll ever get in a classroom. People get hung up a lot of the time on PhD, or ultimately a piece of paper, and other personal titles that are supposed to make someone "qualified" to help someone else. What truely makes someone qualified is when they really care about helping someone get results with thier goals and not trying to fill thier pockets with as much money as someone will give them to solve thier problems.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

That's a great point and I understand where you're coming from with that advice. The people I'm referring to have helped thousands of people have success with anything from weight loss to putting people on the stage and getting thier pro card and everything in between. They don't make a certification that represents real life experience and that means more than anything you'll ever get in a classroom. People get hung up a lot of the time on PhD, or ultimately a piece of paper, and other personal titles that are supposed to make someone "qualified" to help someone else. What truely makes someone qualified is when they really care about helping someone get results with thier goals and not trying to fill thier pockets with as much money as someone will give them to solve thier problems.

Of course experience is important, along with proper education in the field. Do you think someone without a formal education in nutrition came up with all the stuff in your first post, of course not. What becomes an issue is people without formal training read information/studies from people educated in the field and then use them or modify without understanding the impact on a specific individual.

I'm sure you're aware in most areas a personal trainer cannot give specific diet/supplement information to a client as it is outside their scope of practice.
  • whitney91smith
    Options

Of course experience is important, along with proper education in the field. Do you think someone without a formal education in nutrition came up with all the stuff in your first post, of course not. What becomes an issue is people without formal training read information/studies from people educated in the field and then use them or modify without understanding the impact on a specific individual.

I'm sure you're aware in most areas a personal trainer cannot give specific diet/supplement information to a client as it is outside their scope of practice.

I agree with all of that and there's also no one size fits all suggestion or plan for every single person. Everyone's body is different, it responds differently to training, supplements, macros percentages, etc., and everyone has different fitness goals. I'm not saying formal training has no value, because it definitely does, but formal training without real world experience just becomes a piece of paper that proves someone jumped through the right hoops to get a certification in my opinion.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

I agree with all of that and there's also no one size fits all suggestion or plan for every single person. Everyone's body is different, it responds differently to training, supplements, macros percentages, etc., and everyone has different fitness goals. I'm not saying formal training has no value, because it definitely does, but formal training without real world experience just becomes a piece of paper that proves someone jumped through the right hoops to get a certification in my opinion.

You are absolutely right, and this is the exact reason that I highly encourage everyone that I encounter to play with their training and nutrition. Figuring out what gets YOU superior results, is far better than relying on what gets some imaginary "average person" mediocre results.
  • whitney91smith
    Options

You are absolutely right, and this is the exact reason that I highly encourage everyone that I encounter to play with their training and nutrition. Figuring out what gets YOU superior results, is far better than relying on what gets some imaginary "average person" mediocre results.

I do the exact same thing when working with people. Everything has to be done on an individual basis to help that person see results and help them develop a plan that works for them in the long run. That's why crash diets and "cookie cutter" diet and training plans from Dr. So and so who will sell you a plan for some rediculous amount of money and you never see them again never work. Those plans aren't individualized and they don't take into account what has to happen on a daily basis to create a maintainable plan someone can use the rest of thier life. When I work with someone my main goal is to help them find ways of doing things that work for them and to educate them to the point that they don't need me anymore because they know all the answers and if they don't they know I'm here to help at any time. There's too many coaches, doctor's, and trainers in this industry trying to just ultimately steal money from people and they don't care how being healthier can truely impact that person's life that came to them for help.