Struggling

Options
Not to overeat.

Replies

• CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    what are your stats, age, weight height? whats your calorie goal and how many pounds per week are you set to lose? how many calories are you eating per day? whats your protein goal like? are you eating your exercise calories?

All these questions are crucial to answer so we can know whether to give you handy tips on eating less, or good reasons for why you should be eating more!
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    163cm/ 5"4. Eat 1650 to lose half a lb. 12 stone 5.8. Not happy. Mfp worked for me in the past but I can't stop overeating junk. I just eat. Boredom or whatever. I just like to eat and I hate it.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    Options
    I live with my family. 6 people. All different types of food available. i just choose high calorie foods.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    Options
    By junk food I mean such as chocolate, crisps.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    What are your macros set up as? Sometimes eating more protein or getting your 10 fruits and vegetables in daily will keep you full and less likely to overeat.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said, sometimes it's not enough nutrients, or protein, or healthy carbs or fats. Sometimes it's not enough calories. Sometimes we focus too hard on the low deficit instead of realize that some days every week up to normal maintenance is best and will actually keep your hunger hormones more stable, as well as other hormones. Take a good look at what you are eating, you need a just enough of all the healthy things in balance. I call it a calorie tightrope. Too low and you binge, too high and you gain fat. As far as the tempting foods that do not help - most of us crave those and want them when we are stressed. Those things are so incredibly "available" that it is no surprise that our modern society is mostly obese. You can't do it on willpower alone, you must setup your environment for success. For some of us that means finding ways to avoid the temptation. Other times we learn to say no and we keep our reasons why in the front of our minds at all times. We know the way to health is door number one only, so the choices get us there... otherwise not. There is only one choice sometimes if you want your goal, how bad do you want it, and again you can't always rely on willpower so you will have to change your environment somehow. Don't say you can't change it. FIND a way to change it.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Your goals seem moderate and sensible. A few tips:

- log it before you eat it. Look the consequences full in the face before it's in your mouth. If you're having a consistent problem with this, then start pre-logging your whole day.
    - Don't buy it if possible. I don't advise this as a lifelong approach, but as a training aid it is great.
    - if you can't avoid having tricky foods in the house because other people are buying them, train yourself to think of that as "someone else's food". I mean, it is, isn't it? You wouldn't have bought it if you were living on your own, so it's not yours. Stop eating other people's food!
    - include treats that fit in your goals. Get used to eating one chocolate rather than half a box, one scoop of ice cream rather than a huge bowl.
    - log, log, log. Whatever you eat, whether you meant to eat it or not, log it faithfully. Make yourself take a hard, clear look at what you are actually doing.
    - eat more - more fruit and veg, more protein, more whole grain. Don't just think in terms of what you won't Eat - think in terms of what you will. Let the low-calorie filling foods edge out the high-calories ones that leave you peckish.

At the end of the day, you need to be committed, which means you need a strong "why". Why are you doing this? Why is it important? That's where the commitment comes from that will drive you to make the consistent efforts that last to habit change. It will take time and determination, but I believe you can do it.