Really sore after working out.

Options
So I just got a gym membership this last week and went to the gym for 3 days missed yesterday cause I did an hour evaluation with the trainer. Today I am so sore my legs sometimes feel like they won't hold me up, and I just really hurt. Wednsday I did 30 minutes on the elliptical, Thursday 15 on the elliptical and 30 on the treadmill doing week 1 of c25k, and Friday 30 elliptical and 30 treadmill. Did I do to much at once? I went for a short walk around a park just to stretch out a little and it was difficult. I want to go work out tomorrow thinking maybe a light walk on the treadmill or can I go all out again? Before I was just walking and doing stuff on the Wii. Any advice would be great!

Replies

• hannat5017
    hannat5017 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Should I just keep working through it? Would really like to get back to the gym tomorrow.
  • calton1
    calton1 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I joined a gym a month ago and do 30 minutes of cardio and weight machines 3-4 times a week. I still get sore if I push too hard. I guess we have to try and balance it all out, mostly let our bodies get use to it.
  • Fallfrenzy
    Fallfrenzy Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    IMHO your body is likely telling you to take it easy on your legs for a day or two and let the soreness subside. Take an active rest day tomorrow if your muscles are still aching or work a different set of muscles that are not aching. By an active rest day, you can take an easy walk or bike and just keep to that. If it is just your lower body that aches, try some strengthening of your upper body, so work your arms, shoulders and/or back. Start off with lower weights. Sounds like you may be working with a trainer, so that will be good as he/she should be able to guide you.
  • Michellelynn219
    Michellelynn219 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are stretching before and after. I find that helps a bit. Good luck on your journey :)
  • Xvapor
    Xvapor Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    You guys are lucky I never worked out hard enough to be sore!
  • jcullenpollard
    jcullenpollard Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You need to be stretching well before your workout. Invest in a foam roller to use pre and post workout. Good luck!!
  • Xvapor
    Options
    Stretching After workout is way more important
  • hannat5017
    hannat5017 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    What do you do for stretching. I usually just do the cool down mode on the machine.
  • LeoT0917
    LeoT0917 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I agree with the posters above regarding post workout stretching. If you're not opposed to supplements, try adding a BCAA powder to some water and take afterwards. I used to get very sore after heavy workouts and this has virtually eliminated the issue.
  • SierraFatToSkinny
    SierraFatToSkinny Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Another vote for stretching.

Go to YouTube and put in your activity and then add "stretching". There will be videos about what stretches to do for that activity.
  • Michellelynn219
    Michellelynn219 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I push against the wall/ weight bench or whatever you have handy and give those calves and hamstrings a good stretch.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I find that yoga helps tremendously after a hard workout. Just 15 to 20 minutes or so before bed. Foam rolling is great too.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    hannat5017 wrote: »
    Should I just keep working through it? Would really like to get back to the gym tomorrow.

i'm not qualified to know whether you did too much or not, because i don't cardio except via bike commuting.

but i saw you were doing c25k. so i hope some real runners will chime in here, because i'm practically certain that c25k is predicated on gently progressive adaptation to the stresses of running - and the whole reason for that is because so many people start out too hard and do too much too soon, and end up injured.

"not sure my legs will hold me up' really sounds contrary to the intention and spirit of c25k. good luck with it though. i admire anybody who can run because i'm totally happy to be zombie fodder if the alternative is that i have to do that.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Probably a bit too much too quickly, however if you were quite sedentary before that, any exercise will have you feeling that way.

Find out how to use a foam roller, and do it - it will save you tons of grief, but it hurts like an SOB when you're doing it.

If you have access to a tub, having a bath with a cup or two of Epsom salts thrown in will really help.

For me, running or a brisk walk (half an hour) and then spending time with a foam roller after will help remove the lactic acid that's causing all the pain. So don't skip tomorrow, but don't push yourself to injury either.

It will get better. :) next week, you won't get as sore, and the week after that, even less so. Keep going.
  • lionessNV
    lionessNV Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I consider myself an intermediate exerciser and I still feel sore after some of my Daily Burn workouts. You know, I cringe when I sit in my office chair or even sometimes I hobble around my office. I actually like it when I'm sore because it means my body is changing for the better. I agree with some of the people above me - take an active rest day and do your stretches, but revel in the fact that it's sore because you're body is changing for the better too.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Stretching isn't as important as it's being advertised as in the fitness industry. While being flexible is desirable, it's not a prerequisite for good health. It also hasn't been scientifically shown to reduce DOMS or reduce injuries. Not condoning that stretching is useless, but when people are saying one HAS to stretch before and after a workout, it's just not true. If you do it, it's because you want to keep/get more flexibility.
    If one is sore, active movement helps and just like Katiebear said, an epsom salt bath.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • JoJo__Fit
    JoJo__Fit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water! Stay nice and hydrated and hit it again just don't do so much if your body isn't accustomed to it. Take baby steps!
  • subcounter
    subcounter Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    hannat5017 wrote: »
    So I just got a gym membership this last week and went to the gym for 3 days missed yesterday cause I did an hour evaluation with the trainer. Today I am so sore my legs sometimes feel like they won't hold me up, and I just really hurt. Wednsday I did 30 minutes on the elliptical, Thursday 15 on the elliptical and 30 on the treadmill doing week 1 of c25k, and Friday 30 elliptical and 30 treadmill. Did I do to much at once? I went for a short walk around a park just to stretch out a little and it was difficult. I want to go work out tomorrow thinking maybe a light walk on the treadmill or can I go all out again? Before I was just walking and doing stuff on the Wii. Any advice would be great!

just sounds like DOMS. It's natural if you haven't really used those muscle groups as much before. You get them less and less as you workout more often. Always reminds me of Matrix scene lol

3991464795ef59f5cd4bad63e2f793e8.jpg
  • Xvapor
    Options
    Stretching post workout helps avoid injury. Cold Stretching before working out can increase chance of injury