Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Cheat Meal....yay or nay?

Options

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    I wrote this on another thread, i feel very strongly against cheat meals or cheat days.. so i figured i would just post it here since my opinion is still very much the same lol

I call cheat meals or cheat days negative associations with food. There are a few kinds of negative associations and i am going to list them here.

1) The Lists we create in our minds of good and bad foods.
    2) The Foods and Meals we place into the category of Cheat Day or Cheat Meal
    3) Corrective Behavior

*deleted for space*

I will always promote and encourage Healthy food relationships.

Not everyone that has cheat days thinks of foods as good and bad. Not everyone that thinks of food as good and bad has a 'poor relationship with food".

But most do, I did for sure, I had my good food list, bad food and had serious mental struggles when eating something "I should not eat". It was a taco with purslane for crying out loud!
    It does happen a lot, maybe not to all, but it is a not so good approach.

Most do? Is that based on data or just an opinion?

Saying most don't is an opinion as well ¬_¬

No one said that though.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I log everything like the above posters. Nobody is perfect and sometimes you just have to eat what you want. However, logging it helps you keep track of how far you went over, and that way you can increase your deficit the next few days to make up for it and still stay on track. Better yet, if you know you're going to do it ahead of time, prepare for it in advance by leaving extra calories each day leading up to it. Our bodies aren't linear things, one screw-up meal isn't going to throw off your work over a month, but it might negate a weeks worth of work and put you behind if you don't keep track of it and adjust accordingly.

If you're ok with working hard all week then screwing all that up in one meal/day then by all means go for it. I, on the other hand, refuse to let all my hard work go to waste.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    and while most might be an overgeneralization - from the majority of threads here about "clean eating" and people thinking (total hyperbole) that they are going to be 5lbs from overeating one day - I'd hypothesize that there is a lot of negative relationships with food
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I log everything. If i want ice cream and it fits in my calories for the day it's not "cheating". So you want to eat one meal a week you don't log that could potentially have enough calories to blow everything you've worked on for the week?
  • domeofstars
    domeofstars Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I wrote this on another thread, i feel very strongly against cheat meals or cheat days.. so i figured i would just post it here since my opinion is still very much the same lol

I call cheat meals or cheat days negative associations with food. There are a few kinds of negative associations and i am going to list them here.

1) The Lists we create in our minds of good and bad foods.
    2) The Foods and Meals we place into the category of Cheat Day or Cheat Meal
    3) Corrective Behavior

Sometimes we do one of these or sometimes they can all snowball together into one big issue.
    We see people do these things all the time and sometimes we do them ourselves, sometimes its intentional and other times we do them and don't realize that what we are doing is actually a negative behavior.

Listing foods into categories of good and bad may seem like a great idea.. Lots of people jump into a diet this way.. They get really motivated and hyped up and go "Alright, time to lose weight! No chocolate, chips, cookies, cake, candy, fast food, fried food...." the list goes on. They have labeled these foods bad. These foods are the reason they are over weight and must be avoided at all costs. They go out to the store and buy nothing but fresh veggies and fruit, lean meats and get it home. Motivation still high as the sky this actually carries them through for a period where they feel like they aren't missing anything, not craving anything, this is going to be super easy!

So some time passes and theyre feeling good, confident, some weight has come off and they say to themselves it's time for a cheat meal or cheat day.

Cheating is all in all just a negative. There is absolutely nothing in life that starts with cheating or ends in cheating that is good. No one ever thinks someone cheating on them is good or congratulates someone for cheating on a test. No one is ever happy some *kitten* hat cheated them out of their money.

Very few people in life can actually have a cheat day or cheat meal and process it properly from a mental perspective. And in my personal opinion though if you still need points in your life where you need to gorge on a huge amount of food then maybe it's time to understand why that is. Calorie density overages are one thing but if you need a one day a week or one day every two weeks where you need to sit down and eat half a large pizza to yourself.. its time to do some soul searching.

More often then not though, people using cheat meals often find themselves feeling shameful, guilty, or just plain depressed. They ate, they log it and at the end they look at the food log and they see a big fat red number. Several hundred calories in the red.

These feelings often trigger corrective behavior.
    Corrective behavior is not a positive but people on MFP who are also new on their journey often support people doing it. I won't.
    Example of Corrective behaviors are posting statuses that tell people how awful they feel about what they did and immediately follow it by saying they are either going to eat less over a period of time depending on how many calories they were over, They are going to workout extra long and extra hard the next few days to burn it off, or they are never going to eat those foods again and avoid feeling that way.

The difference between a person putting in extra effort at the gym because they feel happy and healthy and a person putting in extra effort at the gym because they feel shameful for eating is huge. One of those things is a positive and the other is a punishment. Eating less over a period of time only says one thing, you can't handle your cheat meal. You are not ready to mentally process negative calories and all you are doing is further labeling foods as bad. Avoiding these foods is just walking in a straight line into stress and frustration and falling off a cliff.

There is going to be Birthdays. Holidays. Parties. Work Functions. Weddings. Baby Showers. Anniversaries. Family Visiting from Out of Town. Vacations. Are you just going to avoid every social function? Or Show up and spend the entire day/night doing nothing but avoiding the foods and feeling like thats all you spent your time doing rather then having a good time? Eventually something is going to come up where the foods you are avoiding because you have labeled them as bad are going to be there and the longer you avoid them because you have listed them as a negative or you had a bad reaction to your cheat day and are using negative correcting behavior the more likely you are to binge when the stress and frustration become the more dominate feelings. That Happy, Motivated person who started off doing great is struggling more then they ever imagined.

The binge is the worst. The loss of control and the calories consumed and the feelings swirling in your head are so great.. its hard to find something to grab on to, structure, you want to go back to that happy positive motivated person who was eating so good! However thats the whole reason you ended up in this *kitten* hole in the first place.

When people change something... The end result should be that there is some slight differences but it should still be the same. Like painting a table from blue to red and adding an accessory, Its still the same old table you had but its changed and looks better. You don't light the table on fire and then go out and buy a new one. Nothing was wrong with the old table, it still worked fine it just wasn't functioning the right way for your life now.

Just the same as you shouldn't go from who you were before your diet to a 360 degree change. Being a picture perfect model of health and eating nothing but fruits and veggies and lean meats is a nice fantasy but honestly, its not reality. Some people can do it.. but for most of us, we like chocolate, we like cake and we like pizza. You are no different that that table. You need to stay you but you just need to customize yourself.

There is 7 days in a week with a lot of opportunities. There is no reason why pizza can't be worked in, in a reasonable serving. You put those foods in and then you plan around them.. Healthy salads, wraps, great snacks, lots of veggies, lean meats, Etc and suddenly you've got a great week planned and have something to look forward to each day. And funny things start to happen.. The more you start just having these things on a regular basis the less they happen to be heavy on your mind, Why do you need a cheat meal? You can have pizza any time you want. Youve made it work and fit it into your calorie goals. The more things you start fitting into your calorie goals the less times you end up seeing red. Now you can go to a party and if they are serving pizza, you have 1 or 2 slices and are good to go, cause hey, you worked in pizza lots over the last few weeks, its not something youve been avoiding so the need to shovel it in your mouth is gone now.

You get home from the party and you log that pizza but you've barely gone into the red because you had calories already set aside for dinner and the amount of pizza you ate was reasonable, you've had so many days in the green now that you know that if you continue with your well thought out meal plans that include the things you love that the few calories you were over will be erased simply by waking up the next days and carrying on with your new lifestyle change.

Weight keeps coming off. And suddenly all those bad labeled foods that you kicked out of your life the first time have kept you more on track then any cheat meal could have and now they are doing nothing wrong, they are actually helping, not only from a weight loss perspective but from a mental one. Your relationship with food has become better then ever. Because food is just food. A good healthy balance of nutrition and what we love makes the months that pass during our weight loss journeys feel a lot more enjoyable rather then long and hard.

I will always promote and encourage Healthy food relationships.

This is exactly how I feel now. I've lost 3.3 kilos (I think that's around 6 or 7 pounds) over the past month after coming back from holidays and realizing that a lot of my favourite clothes were too tight. While most of the time I do the best I can to follow the 'healthy food pyramid'- lots of vegetables, fruit, low-fat dairy, lean protein, low-glycemic index carbs- if there is a food I've wanted- pizza, cake, mcdonalds, chocolate, lollies, white fresh bread from the bakery- I've eaten it and logged it. I've still kept losing weight. I've done the best I can to follow my natural hunger. Some days I've had 1600 calories, others I've had parties or 3 course dinner cruises and I've ended up consuming over 3000 calories. I've done the best I can to log it all, and I've still continued to lose weight.

I refuse to feel guilty, do excessive exercise, fast/restrict my food too much following extra calorie consumption.

I do, however, make an effort to be active everyday. I use an exercise bike everyday for an hour and I have a fitbit and try and do 10000 steps everyday. BUT on the weekends, or if there is a day where I've had low energy levels for some reason- insomnia the night before, for example with little sleep- I've honoured my body's need for rest and have not been as active. This has worked for me perfectly.

It has been a struggle to get to this point. Right now I'm about two kilos over the healthy weight range for my height (about 5 pounds). I use to be 32 kilos over the healthy weight range (70 pounds). I also use to be underweight as a teen and struggled with what one doctor said was 'an eating disorder not otherwise specified'.

But I'm over it. I've had enough of disrespecting myself by gorging on foods that make me feel sick, starving myself, over exercising for hours etc! Its time to respect myself enough to eat foods that I feel like and that are going to make me feel great, or to eat foods that maybe aren't so healthy in moderation. Its also time for me to do exercise because I enjoy it and have lots of energy, not exercise that I hate or exercise when i'm exhausted with no fuel in the tank. Life is too short, and is to be enjoyed. Food and exercise should help make life more enjoyable, not unpleasant.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    No matter what I eat - it gets logged. On days that this is impossible (for instance last christmas) I just enter 2 500 calories for that meal. It gets logged though
  • saintor1
    saintor1 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    For me a it is a day off (no log) every 2 weeks. Very convenient for social outings. Still lost a great deal of weight.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    My only issue with you calling it is a cheat meal despite saying it's cheating you're doing something wrong.

For you to succeed on this lifelong journey you have to enjoy it if I had to give up Wendy's hamburgers pizza or beers on the beach I could have never done it. I also enjoy going out and eating and having a few beers I try to log as much as I can but I know a lot of times the calories are off but I don't feel guilty when I go out and eat. I don't do it everyday if I did then it would become an issue but I have to enjoy the process period for me to lose the weight was the easiest thing I ever done and during that time I drink plenty of beer had plenty of Wendy's hamburgers great barbecue and a whole bunch of beer on the beach it was just a matter of being consistent and by being consistent over a long period of time I was able to lose approximately 80 pounds in 8 months and I'm maintaining now for about 6
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    yesterday I had one of these, my first since starting to track. I drove by my second fav hamburger place and picked up their combo burger, fries and choc shake.

It was a local shop but MFP had them in the database. I logged 1600 calories for the treat, which obviously put me way over for the day. I really enjoyed it, no guilt.

I skipped dinner and will just compensate by eating below goal for the next couple days. I still want to make my -2lbs/wk loss.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I don't love the cheat word. But if someone wants to have a higher calorie meal, I say go for it.

Personally I eat what I want every day. So I don't have to "cheat " to eat what I want. I also generally plan ahead of time for a larger meal, for example Valentine's and Super Bowl. So I bank calories or exercise a bit more to make an allowance for more calories.
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Decided we were all eating too healthy at work and needed a pizza day. So I bought 3 for lunch today and ate 1/2 of one of them. Not a major chain so I had to log as best I could and just had some veggies for dinner.

Had one person ask if I could eat it and my answer was *kitten* yes.

Guess what. It wasn't a cheat meal. It was pizza for lunch.

I agree with the way you look at it :) Also I agree with how you eat pizza!
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    While I agree the whole cheat meal concept is unhealthy because it links emotions to food, I completely disagree that labelling foods as good or bad means you have an unhealthy relationship with food. For example, salt preserved meats cause cancer. So to me, I will label it bad and cut it out of my life period. There is no "cheating" because to my mind I literally start thinking of this "bad" food as a "foodlike substance" or "non food". I literally have no cravings, zero emotions for any "bad foods" nor do I care if I am at a social function and avoid said food... I view food in a very Vulcan fashion. Too, things like pizza are not unhealthy..if you make it from scratch at home. It's only "bad" when bought from a fast food place because they do things like douse them in cheap cooking oil to make them cook faster and add sugar to the sauce to make it taste sweeter. To say that there is no such thing as "bad foods" is actually unhealthy to my mind because it encourages emotional eating. The whole "eat what you want" and "comfort foods" idea is mysterious to me...does not compute.
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Macy9336 wrote: »
    While I agree the whole cheat meal concept is unhealthy because it links emotions to food, I completely disagree that labelling foods as good or bad means you have an unhealthy relationship with food. For example, salt preserved meats cause cancer. So to me, I will label it bad and cut it out of my life period. There is no "cheating" because to my mind I literally start thinking of this "bad" food as a "foodlike substance" or "non food". I literally have no cravings, zero emotions for any "bad foods" nor do I care if I am at a social function and avoid said food... I view food in a very Vulcan fashion. Too, things like pizza are not unhealthy..if you make it from scratch at home. It's only "bad" when bought from a fast food place because they do things like douse them in cheap cooking oil to make them cook faster and add sugar to the sauce to make it taste sweeter. To say that there is no such thing as "bad foods" is actually unhealthy to my mind because it encourages emotional eating. The whole "eat what you want" and "comfort foods" idea is mysterious to me...does not compute.

You have kind of gone out of context with it here.
    People placing labels on foods as good or bad are not doing so because they think said foods are going to give them a disease. They labeled them simply to label them because they think those specific foods are the reason they are fat and nothing more. These people DO crave those foods and DO have emotions towards them, they do find it hard to avoid them at social functions..

This is an entirely different mind set for an entirely different thing.
    I don't like liver and i have no problems avoiding it but its not a "bad food".. Its just something i dislike for whatever reason. That would usually remove any stress from avoiding to eating it. No different then people not liking veggies or fruit.

You can demonize a food all you want to for its oils or sugars.. but unless everyone labeling these foods thinks the same way you do and they don't because otherwise they wouldn't be putting them on the list of cheat meals in the first place and going out and eating it.. it isn't going to change the fact that for most people labeling pizza from a take out establishment as bad is going to go hand in hand with shame, guilt and self hate later on once they ate this cheat meal and totaled the calories they consumed.

People have their own personal health goals and reasons for them, but regardless, the average dieter jumps into a diet with a list and plan that is usually unsustainable because its based on banned foods and too many rules and as someone who was 300 pounds highest weight and never skinny and an insulin dependent diabetic for over 15 years and i am now 135 pounds and diabetes free and i achieved that despite oils, added sugars, carbs, fats, Etc and am very healthy i think the best way to succeed is to eat to a calorie goal first.. get that routine, learn about foods, weigh things, eat proper portions and when you are comfortable in your routine if there is something you wanna cut out of your life for your own personal goals then go for it, but don't jump into the pool with a rock around your ankle and expect to float.

I don't think I went out of context at all. You're saying "most people" and the "average dieter" are of the bad food/guilt trigger mindset that you've described. You're saying people only label food as bad for one reason and one reason only..because they think it will make them fat. How do you know most people are that way? You are just generalising. I just posted and said "to me" and "I"...to explain that I am not that way. To me a bad food does not cause a cycle of cheating and guilt and self hate. To me. You've extrapolated your personal experience to say that "most people" have the same mindset and relationship with food that you did and therefore what worked for you is "the best way to succeed." There is no one best way to succeed at being a healthy weight. Different strokes for different folks and all that. Yet you for some reason have decided that because I am different, my experience is somehow not applicable? It's almost as if you are arguing that there could never be a subset of the population where the bad food/good food labelling could possibly assist a person in their approach to maintaining a healthy weight and lifestyle. Well the good food/bad food labelling works for me...and yes I do label ALL fast food as bad food because it will make me fat and no, I have no cravings, no cheating and no guilt like you describe. I have a whole list of "banned foods" in my mind and they are there for all kinds of reasons....(unhealthy, carcinogenic, unethical, etc).
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    I don't have cheat days. I have maintenance days. I'm currently at a daily 500 calorie deficit. So if I "cheat" I only add on an extra 500 calories to my meal. It's quite generous and doesn't mess up with all my hard work.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    found this article (written by one of the guys I am working with for my training nutrition)

https://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/how-to-incorporate-cheat-meals-into-diet
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Nay ... NAY ... Nay for cheat meals. They don't work for me. I'd rather honestly eat at maintenance or even a up to 100 calories over than have a cheat meal or day. I plan my calories as a week's total and know what the daily intake should be to get there.

PS ... I like the aricle posted above ... that's the way I like it.