Depression and weight loss

Options
emmagrace0818
emmagrace0818 Posts: 211 Member
edited March 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Anyone else trying to lose weight, not only for health reasons, but also to help their depression?
I guess not really lose weight for the depression, being more active has been helping though
I have days where I feel my depression is making my self esteem way down and I just want to give up
I desperately want to feel good about myself again, physically and mentally!
Friends in a similar situation would be great :)
Instagram in which I have made for these specific things: courageous_emmagrace

Replies

• winejunky143
    winejunky143 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I am also trying to lose weight to help with my depression. I feel so alone in my struggle with depression because I don't want to admit to my family and friends that I am depressed. Please add me and we can help each other through this?
  • motivatedeeat74
    motivatedeeat74 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    never thought of losing for depression as I be depressed at times and I just give it to MY Lord and it seems to work out and at times when I can't seem to get a going on I just pray and concentrate on my weight and changing my eating habits. No meds for me for depression too many meds now for my diabetes blood pressure!!
  • motivatedeeat74
    motivatedeeat74 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    please add me to the list as I have a firm grip on my every once in awhile depression and take no meds!! let's talk it out!
  • jjgebel
    jjgebel Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same situation. When I exercises more I felt like my depression was a hit more in control than now. I am medicated though too.
  • emmagrace0818
    emmagrace0818 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    jjgebel wrote: »
    I'm in the same situation. When I exercises more I felt like my depression was a hit more in control than now. I am medicated though too.

I take medication as well. A high dose actually. My goal is to be off of meds for depression someday
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    jjalbertt wrote: »
    I'm trying to lose with anxiety/depression, I find the exercise and eating a healthy diet helps it. In by no way does it cure it, but it does help me think more positively to try and over come the other thoughts of failing or that people don't like me, etc. It has raised my self esteem, because everytime I workout or eat healthy all day, I know I accomplished something and eventually will lead to my big goal. So don't give up!!

Another vote for exercise and eating healthy. I often have to force myself to start exercising, but am fine once I start, and am always glad to have done it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    Anyone else trying to lose weight, not only for health reasons, but also to help their depression?
    I guess not really lose weight for the depression, being more active has been helping though
    I have days where I feel my depression is making my self esteem way down and I just want to give up
    I desperately want to feel good about myself again, physically and mentally!
    Friends in a similar situation would be great :)
    Instagram in which I have made for these specific things: courageous_emmagrace

Here's a nice long thread about depression and weight loss: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10058170/depression-and-weight-loss/p1
  • MissyK222
    MissyK222 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I suffer from depression and have been on medication for years and its a struggle to stay motivated despite the depression but I know it can be done and I know getting healthy is going to improve my depression immensely! Feel free to add me... I am here if you need to talk to someone who can relate. :smiley:
  • MomReborn
    MomReborn Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I deal with anxiety/depression too. I've recovered from a decade of agoraphobia and over two decades on the eating disorder spectrum. I acknowledge, but don't allow my anxiety/depression/ED to rule me. I had to learn to make my "backchatter" work FOR me, instead of hold me down. Some days are tough, but if it were all easy, the good days would not be fun/appreciated at all!

Feel free to add me, as I've found the positive environment has been essential to overall progress <3
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    If you're committed to staying off meds, fish oil has been proven to lessen depression. In some studies, it worked as well as traditional meds.

You also might want to read this book: Healing Anxiety and Depression by Dr. Daniel Amen.

I've only had depression one time. It was after back surgery and lasted a few months. I knew the dark thoughts I was having just wasn't me, so I researched and found that anesthesia can have that effect. It was scary, and now I really have compassion for people who struggle with this long term. I hope you continue to take an active role in your recovery. Keep fighting!
  • marie9910
    marie9910 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I've been dealing with this for as long as I can remember. However there's a lot of evidence showing how diet and exercise directly impact mood and many interesting articles explaining the relationship between these things. I can tell you from my own personal experience that cutting out all sugar and processed foods greatly lessens my depression. I can also tell you that for me, personally, depression goes hand in hand with being overweight. Diet aside, having gained weight, I feel uncomfortable and anxious with too many extra pounds. I also feel guilt/shame because the extra weight is a consequence of having not telemarketing care of myself the way I should have been, for whatever reason. So I do think that a healthy body and a healthy mind go hand in hand. Good luck!
  • marie9910
    marie9910 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'll add this: while I am exercising with mainly the intent of los my weight, on days where I just don't have the energy to workout I tell myself that today I'm working out for my mind rather than my body, because honestly exercise is a great way to boost your mood.
  • charlieandcarol
    charlieandcarol Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I have never been able to figure out which comes first, the depression and anxiety or the weight. Am I obese because I am depressed and anxious or am I anxious and depressed because I am obese? I am currently the heaviest I have ever been and also feel the worst I have ever felt. I know I feel better when I am exercising and eating well but I feel that my mental state often makes that hard to do.
  • kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I take medication for my anxiety/depression. I'm losing weight and using mfp as a tool to help me be in control of something controllable. To keep me motivated and inspired to be the best I can be. To take my mind off things. I've been smaller and still suffered badly from depression. For me, it's about knowing I can "control" my weight, having power over something that will in the end provide me with a greater of self esteem and confidence. I had anxiety and panic attacks over things out of my control. It's certainly helping. Good luck to u x
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I feel like I'm one of the few people who get no relief from depression via exercise, eating healthier, and weight loss. If it works for you that's great.
  • TreesOfYavanna
    TreesOfYavanna Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    I feel like I'm one of the few people who get no relief from depression via exercise, eating healthier, and weight loss. If it works for you that's great.

I didn't either. I was working out every day and I just became more and more depressed. I was also spending longer and longer in the bathroom.

Finally my husband begged me to see my doctor. I went on antidepressants, which helped, but I was also diagnosed with celiac disease, which was something of a surprise.

Three and a half years later, I am off the antidepressants and feeling much better, but I fell off the workout wagon and got fat because, well, my body wasn't starving anymore, I wasn't exercising regularly, and my eating habits were terrible (other than staying gluten free). So now I am fixing that.

tl;dr it is possible for your depression to be caused by a different physical disease. If you're suffering from depression, see your doctor!
  • sweetpea813
    sweetpea813 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I've suffered from depression and really bad anxiety for over 10 years. When I started losing weight and exercising in 2016, it started getting better. Now, I only get down if something happens and I can't exercise for days at a time (like sickness). I think I had situational depression. I wasn't happy with my appearance or my health but once I started working on it and noticing changes, my anxiety and depression seemed to ease up a great deal.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

I didn't either. I was working out every day and I just became more and more depressed. I was also spending longer and longer in the bathroom.

Finally my husband begged me to see my doctor. I went on antidepressants, which helped, but I was also diagnosed with celiac disease, which was something of a surprise.

Three and a half years later, I am off the antidepressants and feeling much better, but I fell off the workout wagon and got fat because, well, my body wasn't starving anymore, I wasn't exercising regularly, and my eating habits were terrible (other than staying gluten free). So now I am fixing that.

tl;dr it is possible for your depression to be caused by a different physical disease. If you're suffering from depression, see your doctor!

I had a bad time when I was on antidepressants, mostly my family being nobs and the one med I was on just made me sleep less and less (sure, a human can get by on an hour of sleep a day). Drugs would probably help me not have my depressive bouts (and the bad shizzle that happens during), but I don't feel up to dealing with the slog of talking to counselors/therapists who don't care and playing the Which Medication Will Work game.

Mine is my brain chemistry is fudged, nothing more.