i don't understand how i gained 4 kgs in a week?. .. on a diet

Options
I'm so confused. I've stuck to my calorie count every day except 1
I weigh and measure all my foods
I'm on my feet all day and still I've gained weight this week, 3kgs worth of weight. I'm literally on the verge of tears
My BMR is 1550 and my TDEE is 2405 so even my crazy blow out day shouldn't have caused a gain ?
I know it's about to be my TOTM but I am 26 days in with nothing but gains to show

Replies

• bonoeuf
    bonoeuf Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Best way for help is to open your diary for scrutiny. That way we can see what you have been eating and if the numbers stack up or not. First thought is, you are eating over your calories. You may think you are correct but a weight gain on a deficit is almost impossible.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Hmm. That's a very big gain. How old are your scales?
  • jessVanL
    jessVanL Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My diary should be open , I'm more then happy to have someone go over it for me I'm desperate
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Just how crazy was your crazy blow out day, and when was it? If it was over the weekend, food weight plus water retention from that, combined with impending TOM could be your answer. One thing I can say for sure, you certainly haven't gained 4kg of fat (unless you ate 28000 cals over your maintenance level, which I'm guessing you didn't). Depending how far over you went on your blow out, it's possible you have some real weight gain there (as in fat), but the vast majority should disappear in the next few days.

Wonky scales are also a possibility too of course.
  • re1d1
    re1d1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think first things you can check to be at the save side:
    - messure your weight after toilette, before breakfast, this is the most accurate time, because the pure weight of food can make a great difference (also check on other daytimes to see the differences)
    - control your personal scales, some are not very accurate, if its possible lend another one and messure your weight multiple times (check if there any differences if you move it on the floor etc.)
    - and a general tip, light sports can help if you have problems with you diet
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    jessVanL wrote: »
    My diary should be open , I'm more then happy to have someone go over it for me I'm desperate

Okay, in general, your logging could certainly do with some tightening up. I would suggest getting some digital scales and weighing all your solid foods. I'm seeing a lot of cup measurements and servings (eg 1 of whatever) as opposed to actual weights. Even for things straight out of the packet, the weight they give for a serving can be way off from what the item actually does weigh. It's pretty easy to significantly reduce your deficit in this way, which obviously leads to slower weight loss, or even none at all.

I don't see enough in your diary to explain a 4kg gain though, and again there is no way it is all fat, if any. So breathe, see what happens over the next few days/week with that gain, and weigh your food :)
  • CattOfTheGarage
    Options
    The reason I'm thinking you need a new scale is that while I'd expect a temporary water weight gain after one day eating more, 6kg is way outside the normal range. OP, you didn't answer the question of how old your scale is.
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    A blow out day can in some cases be your weeks calories and if salt laden like junk processed foods you'll gain water retain it and that's your answer

You can't really have days off you need to learn not to 'diet' change your lifestyle thinking your in a diet leads to mentally thinking I'm depriving myself to get thin when thin I can eat what I like
    You are eating what you like on a day hence weight gain

Your body only knows calories in calories out blow out days are = too many calories and you are eating probably some over what you burn off and some that are retaining water
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Crazy blow out days can derail a whole week of good work - but its unlikely. Most likely is your holding some in transient food and a shed load of water retention.

Keep calm and get back on the deficit.
  • kkelly1223
    kkelly1223 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Sometimes that happens. Don't stress about it, that will only make it worse. Try cutting back on sugary fruits.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    kkelly1223 wrote: »
    Sometimes that happens. Don't stress about it, that will only make it worse. Try cutting back on sugary fruits.

You too noticed that the OP doesn't eat (or log) fruit, right? I'd go bananas without fruit :s
  • jessVanL
    jessVanL Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My scale is probably like 8 years old so it's fairly old
    I went and bought a food scale and cup and spoon measurements , my blow out wasnt horrific it was just a drunk night with the girls , a lot too much wine and a drunk toasted cheese and crisps.
    I'm going to tighten up my logging and weigh all my solids and keep hoing it gets better, I'm completely depressed with my weight as it is so giving up isn't going to help. . . I'm going to have to see progress eventually, right ?
  • CattOfTheGarage
    Options
    I'd replace that old scale, I think it's gaslighting you. And relax. There's no way you gained 4kg of fat in a week.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    My scale is probably like 8 years old so it's fairly old
    I went and bought a food scale and cup and spoon measurements , my blow out wasnt horrific it was just a drunk night with the girls , a lot too much wine and a drunk toasted cheese and crisps.
    I'm going to tighten up my logging and weigh all my solids and keep hoing it gets better, I'm completely depressed with my weight as it is so giving up isn't going to help. . . I'm going to have to see progress eventually, right ?

Hang in there. I'm sure you'll see things heading in the right direction once you tighten up your logging. And yep, new bathroom scales are probably a good idea too!!
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Hey also (in case it wasn't mentioned) many women have weight increases around TOM. In fact, some women say they only log losses the week following their period. The rest of the month the weight is all over the place do to water retention etc. So just trust the program and keep going. Just because the scale doesn't move doesn't mean you aren't losing.
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Hun I'm in the same boat. 8lbs in 2 weeks no idea what it can be even went drs and he believes it could be my mini pill reeking havoc with water retention. Are you on any sort of medication or birth control?
  • Derpy_Hooves
    Derpy_Hooves Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    There's no way you gained that much in a week. Could be a weird fluctuation or something simple as faulty scales.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    New scale, tighter logging and breathe. Give it another couple of weeks. Also, if you only weigh in once a week you could catch a high day and miss the lows so just keep trucking. As long as you're consistent and accurate, the losses will come.

You should also use other metrics to track progress, take your measurements and check on those, if they're going down then the scale is currently being a liar.
  • loweel208
    loweel208 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm on my feet all day and still I've gained weight this week, 3kgs worth of weight. I'm literally on the verge of tears
    My BMR is 1550 and my TDEE is 2405 so even my crazy blow out day shouldn't have caused a gain ?
    I know it's about to be my TOTM but I am 26 days in with nothing but gains to show

I do suggest you to monitor how you sleep. 4 Kg in a week without food sounds like a change in basic metabolism. Although any change in the metabolism could be investigated, one of the most common ones is lack of good sleeping, which usually couples with stress.

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    loweel208 wrote: »

I do suggest you to monitor how you sleep. 4 Kg in a week without food sounds like a change in basic metabolism. Although any change in the metabolism could be investigated, one of the most common ones is lack of good sleeping, which usually couples with stress.

Um. 28000 calories worth of metabolic slowdown in a week? I'm going to say no.