Keto vs standard calorie deficit.

Options
Sushikingmfp
Sushikingmfp Posts: 2 Member
edited March 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm a newb powerlifter and boy did I get fat these winters.
Currently at 93kg and 22-25% bodyfat.
I want to drop the pudge over a course of 3-4 months.
Which way is better? To maintain strength and mass?
also
I tried keto once about an year ago to come down from 98kg bw to 89kg.
I stopped because my hair started to get thin and fall out.
Majority of my protein comes from cottage cheese and whole eggs.
Supplement - creatine, multivitamins.

Edit-1- i understand that keto was also deficit but what I am asking is which way helps you all maintain strength and mass better because I've seen people swear that they get moody as hell on standard deficit as compared to keto where it lasts just the initial week or adaption period.

which way is better?
or are there other methods that I am not aware of?
If possible point me towards relevant literature so that I can read more and learn.
Thank you so much. :)

Replies

• size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I got ill doing keto
    Just find the right calories for your activity level to lose weight and enjoy real food life's too short to live off powders and tablets
  • Sushikingmfp
    Sushikingmfp Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    size102b wrote: »
    life's too short to live off powders and tablets

• Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Keto keeps your appetite low (supposedly).
    You still need deficit to lose weight.
  • michieileen
    michieileen Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm following a Keto diet through dietdoctor.com. No counting calories, eating until your full, no exercise and weight is just dropping like crazy. I have cut my carbs to a minimum though and I love it.
    In my experience counting calories even if in Keto diet, it doesn't work
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I'm following a Keto diet through dietdoctor.com. No counting calories, eating until your full, no exercise and weight is just dropping like crazy. I have cut my carbs to a minimum though and I love it.

If your weighing and measuring everything and eating the right calories of course calorie counting works that what weightloss is CICO

Sadly many people loss that ability to eat until full as they emotionally eat

Not exercising isn't good for you you lose muscle mass the weight your dropping will be muscle

Low carb made me very ill your hair falls out periods mess up really bad breath memory loss exhustion

Why make weightloss harder than needs be I lost 71lbs calorie counting with exercise

Ask the thousands of people on here which is a calorie counting site does cal counting not work ???
  • roxywho42
    roxywho42 Posts: 165 Member
    Options

If your weighing and measuring everything and eating the right calories of course calorie counting works that what weightloss is CICO

Not exercising isn't good for you you lose muscle mass the weight your dropping will be muscle

Low carb made me very ill your hair falls out periods mess up really bad breath memory loss exhustion

Why make weightloss harder than needs be I lost 71lbs calorie counting with exercise

Ask the thousands of people on here which is a calorie counting site does cal counting not work ???

That's interesting as my hair is fuller and growing faster since starting keto and my periods (which have always been crazy and horrible because I have PCOS) are getting better. There is a big difference between the fad version and doing it right. Too many people try to drop the carbs and still also keep fat really low, that doesn't work. You probably felt ill and had memory loss, etc. because your electrolytes were off which is easily fixed with some yummy broth. Muscle loss comes from a lack of eating enough protein, not a lack of exercise. Resistance exercise can build more muscle though.

Yes, weight loss is cico, keto makes that work more easily for many people. Many people using keto don't actually count their calories, but the are still a deficit because they count macros which is where calories come from. Nobody actually needs carbs and many people need to not have them.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Keto is every bit as muscle sparing as a higher carb diet. It uses different pathways to do it (higher leucine) but it spares muscle. The body doesn't use protein for fuel when it can use fats - usually a plentiful energy source. ;) You do need to have adequate protein to meet your minimum glucose needs (via gluconeogenesis) but if you are eating moderate protein, you'll have enough. If you keep protein over a 100g (as a male) you should have enough protein without worrying about utilizing muscle. You could always go higher in protein if concerned.

When it comes to muscle building, having higher insulin does help, and to get high insulin you will need high carb and /or high protein. Higher carb and protein is not needed to gain mass, but it does give a slight advantage - mainly in how quickly one gains it seems.

Try Ketogains on reddit for more info on bodybuilding while keto. I'm sure they have a LOT on cutting... Most body builders cut with low carb so that part of it is pretty widely accepted as a good way to go.
    roxywho42 wrote: »

That's interesting as my hair is fuller and growing faster since starting keto and my periods (which have always been crazy and horrible because I have PCOS) are getting better. There is a big difference between the fad version and doing it right. Too many people try to drop the carbs and still also keep fat really low, that doesn't work. You probably felt ill and had memory loss, etc. because your electrolytes were off which is easily fixed with some yummy broth. Muscle loss comes from a lack of eating enough protein, not a lack of exercise. Resistance exercise can build more muscle though.

Yes, weight loss is cico, keto makes that work more easily for many people. Many people using keto don't actually count their calories, but the are still a deficit because they count macros which is where calories come from. Nobody actually needs carbs and many people need to not have them.

Yes. I'd suspect electrolyte imbalance there too. Many don't realize that they need to increase sodium to make up for electrolytes that are lost with that water weight.

I agree that it might not have been enough fat too. A large deficit or too much protein will cause bad breath. Hair loss oftem comes with weight loss and a large deficit too.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I would suspect that most people will likely experience better resistance training performance on non ketogenic diets. EDIT: I worded that intentionally so that I'm not unfairly suggesting that ketogenic dieting wont work. It's certainly possible that some people do just fine on it, it's just not the route I'd initially go with a resistance trained athlete looking for maximal performance.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,610 Member
    Options
    Lol, so then why are you on a calorie counting site?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    There's plenty of keto body builders who have videos on youtube. Jason wittrock comes to mind, only because there was a recent thread here about him and keto, and he's still fresh in my mind.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options

Interesting. I've been Keto for over 4 years and I never had any of these issues. I've lost 80lb. There are thousands of people in the low carb forum and the only time anyone ever reports hair loss is when they are not eating enough. You also need to be aware of things like salt/magnesium when you're keto.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

Interesting. I've been Keto for over 4 years and I never had any of these issues. I've lost 80lb. There are thousands of people in the low carb forum and the only time anyone ever reports hair loss is when they are not eating enough. You also need to be aware of things like salt/magnesium when you're keto.

I'm not Keto but it seems it can happen because of the Keto diet. From a popular Keto website...
    https://www.dietdoctor.com/can-low-carb-diets-result-in-hair-loss

I only mention this because I too lost hair on Atkins years ago but it wasn't a significant amount and it grew back in nicely after a few months.

Having said that it can happen on any diet when there is stress, lack of nutrients (protein usually) or other issues.

Just being on a "diet" itself can cause some stress hair loss it seems so not just Keto:).
  • the_new_mark_2017
    the_new_mark_2017 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I got ill doing keto
    Just find the right calories for your activity level to lose weight and enjoy real food life's too short to live off powders and tablets

Keto is not powders and tablets.
  • mlsh1969
    mlsh1969 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    A calorie deficit is how you lose weight. Keto can help you create that deficit, but it isn't for everyone.

Exactly
  • HTECHS
    HTECHS Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Here's where you'll find the info you need... https://www.reddit.com/r/ketogains/

Lifting on Keto of any sort you'll find yourself pretty weak for the first couple of weeks. Once you get fat adapted though, you'll start to have a lot more energy throughout your days, better sleep, and a bunch of other health improvements if you suffer from migraines etc... What might work well for you is doing some Keto cycling with your lifting routines... Like I said, lots of info over on Reddit.