Girls weekend Monday morning blues ...

Options
SoyD986
SoyD986 Posts: 57 Member
edited March 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I just got done posting this on my newsfeed, and I suppose I'm posting just because I'm upset with myself and also because I know a lot of others have issues like this and know the struggle is real:

So, over the weekend a group of girl friends and I headed south of the border to a gorgeous resort. 3 nights and days of amazing food, drinks and generalized debauchery ensued ... it was amazing.

Until, that is, I stepped on the scale this morning for the first time since Thursday. Thursday I posted a celebratory picture of my graph and -25.5lbs. Today, I posted that somehow this body now weighs 13.3lbs more then it did last weeek - erasing 6 weeks of steady 2lbs a week weight loss. So many lbs, in fact, that my Aria didn't even recognize me and registered my weigh in as a guest.

I am sure some of it will pass as water weight over the coming week .... but boy, super demotivating to know that one weekend can erase almost 1.5 MONTHS OF HARD WORK!

Super bummed and trying to keep focused on the bigger picture. But, boy, that voice in my head is whispering to me: you will never be able to enjoy anything in life ever again - look at that! You "over endulged" for 3 days and gained a newborn infant back of weight .... why bother at all?

Le sigh.

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    What do you think the 13.3lbs of of "weight gain" consist of? One doesn't gain 13.3 lbs of fat in three days. Rationalize what it could be and it won't feel so dramatic.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    13lbs = 45 000 cal above maintanance.
    Did you seriously eat that much?!

Seriously... Its water...

More math - less blues
  • SoyD986
    Options
    Thanks! I know - perspective ... it was just a bit jarring to see +13lbs in 4 days ... the body is a funny funny thing. But you're right. Get it together, Soy!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    And did you fly down/spend hours sitting in a car to get there? That causes me major fluid retention, as in 10lbs+ last time I flew. Give it a week or two to really assess the damage, I almost guarantee it will be hardly anything at all.
  • skinnybinside
    skinnybinside Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Think back to what you ate/drank...how much salt was involved?? That is a real hazard for me!
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    And did you fly down/spend hours sitting in a car to get there? That causes me major fluid retention, as in 10lbs+ last time I flew. Give it a week or two to really assess the damage, I almost guarantee it will be hardly anything at all.

Ah yes... the joys of coming back from a vacation 'feeling' lighter, stepping on the scale and passing out from the number! 1 week later (after massive amounts of peeing) I was 1kg lighter than before I left.

Add saltier than normal, probably more alcohol than normal, generally a smidgen more than normal this gives:

water weight from traveling + water weight from sodium + added food waste in intestines + water weight from generally above normal food consumption (+ possibly worst case scenario added TOM) = 13lbs...

Just get back to your 'normal' and give it 1-2 weeks for all of that to work itself out of your system.
  • aldavid18
    aldavid18 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry to much. Agree with the above posts of fluid retention, I see similar, although much less, results usually every weekend. By weeks end everything has realigned to normal. You had a great time with friends, sounds like you had a lot of fun, remember that not the scales. Refocus and move on:)
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    SoyD986 wrote: »
    Thanks! I know - perspective ... it was just a bit jarring to see +13lbs in 4 days ... the body is a funny funny thing. But you're right. Get it together, Soy!

I've seen 15 lbs. in a single days before, after a monstrous bagel carnage refeed. Never again. It was mostly water, but I was retaining so much that I started coughing up fluid. It took two weeks to shed it all. Apparently, 12g of sodium did not set well with me. xD
  • SoyD986
    Options
    <3 U MFP peeps! Am of course going to keep fighting the good fight and know for the next time that this body doesn't quite think that unlimited portions of guac, alcohol and other tastiness is a swell (no pun intended) idea!

Lesson learned the hard way for sure! But thanks again!! Xxx
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I went home for Xmas that Friday and returned on Monday morning weighing a whopping 16 pounds more. I knew it was going to be a huge increase on the scale because my feet looked like little pork sausages and so did my hands and thighs. It took over 2 weeks, but slowly everything got back to normal. I didn't panic because I knew that was not physically possible, although I did eat enough for 2 people each day. :)

I really enjoyed the time with family and the food. I'm going to do it the next time, but maybe on a smaller scale just because of the discomfort from so much fluid. My hands and feet felt so tight as if they were going to burst.