Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Should junk food be taxed?

Options

Replies

• Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    In my daughters' HS here in the UK we have no fast food and no candy/soda vending machines. Kids are also not allowed to leave campus at lunch...so no ones going to a chippy or corner store at lunch. The kids all eat from the healthy school menu with no issues. It's what they're used to here.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Macy9336 wrote: »

No more fast foods in schools..many US schools will have school lunches that are a rotating menu of Taco Bell, dominios, McDonalds, Arby's, etc. Every school should at least have a salad bar every day so kids can actually make a healthy food choice.

I was a public school teacher and this is news to me. Every school where I taught had a salad bar, a regular meal line (which generally involved a veggie, a starch, and some kind of protein), and in some cases an "a la carte" line where kids could get pizza or chicken nuggets (no a la carte options in the poorest district, only the middle class kids got this option). Just curious what your public school experience was like?
  • Lone_wolf46
    Lone_wolf46 Posts: 2,711 Member
    Options
    Enough with the taxes already. People should exercise some self control and just don't eat it. It's that simple.
  • Macy9336
    Options

No more fast foods in schools..many US schools will have school lunches that are a rotating menu of Taco Bell, dominios, McDonalds, Arby's, etc. Every school should at least have a salad bar every day so kids can actually make a healthy food choice.

I was a public school teacher and this is news to me. Every school where I taught had a salad bar, a regular meal line (which generally involved a veggie, a starch, and some kind of protein), and in some cases an "a la carte" line where kids could get pizza or chicken nuggets (no a la carte options in the poorest district, only the middle class kids got this option). Just curious what your public school experience was like?

I lived in US for three years 2011-2014 and my kids went to a US public school for one year (private the other two years). In the public school it was all fast food. There was no salad bar. There was no regular line. It was all fast food choices. My kids had a packed lunch every day because the food was so bad. According to this article...it's not that uncommon nowadays.
    https://www.education.com/magazine/article/fast-food-school-cafeterias/
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

I lived in US for three years 2011-2014 and my kids went to a US public school for one year (private the other two years). In the public school it was all fast food. There was no salad bar. There was no regular line. It was all fast food choices. My kids had a packed lunch every day because the food was so bad. According to this article...it's not that uncommon nowadays.

Weird. Maybe it's the area? I'm not doubting your contention, it's just so vastly different from my own experience it took me aback. I'm from the midwest and I've never seen a school that didn't have a salad bar.
  • Macy9336
    Options

Weird. Maybe it's the area? I'm not doubting your contention, it's just so vastly different from my own experience it took me aback. I'm from the midwest and I've never seen a school that didn't have a salad bar.

It probably is the area. I just think it's a bad thing and should be banned otherwise it'll spread to more and more schools. The schools are only doing it for money reasons..they don't care about obesity or the health of the kids. It just doesn't seem right to purposely create an unhealthy environment and then expect kids to weather it with no impact. To me it's no different than putting teenagers in a room with a keg of beer and then being all surprised when some of them drink til they puke. School environments should reinforce healthy behaviours, not try and sabotage them.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

It probably is the area. I just think it's a bad thing and should be banned otherwise it'll spread to more and more schools. The schools are only doing it for money reasons..they don't care about obesity or the health of the kids. It just doesn't seem right to purposely create an unhealthy environment and then expect kids to weather it with no impact. To me it's no different than putting teenagers in a room with a keg of beer and then being all surprised when some of them drink til they puke. School environments should reinforce healthy behaviours, not try and sabotage them.

I don't disagree with your point, but I think the bolded is unfair. In the article you linked to, they said that when the cafeteria makes it's own healthier food, no one buys it. They are supplying the demand so they can make some money, yes. But unless students are forced to eat healthy food the cafeteria is serving, and parents are teaching the same lessons at home, the schools are kind of caught in a pickle - make healthy food and have to throw it out because no one buys it, or serve tweaked branded food and make money to help fund school meal programs for low income children. It stinks that those are their choices, but it's not that they don't care about health.
  • Macy9336
    Options
    I'm not so sure the schools are making what they advertise....this may be an isolated case but a student did an undercover documentary about his pathetic school lunches where he compares the meal advertised on the menu with video footage of what he was served. It's a real eye opener.
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2015/06/27/school-lunch-program.aspx.

It's worth watching as it mirrors the complaints my kids had about the food at school...how it didn't even resemble what was on the menu.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

I don't disagree with your point, but I think the bolded is unfair. In the article you linked to, they said that when the cafeteria makes it's own healthier food, no one buys it. They are supplying the demand so they can make some money, yes. But unless students are forced to eat healthy food the cafeteria is serving, and parents are teaching the same lessons at home, the schools are kind of caught in a pickle - make healthy food and have to throw it out because no one buys it, or serve tweaked branded food and make money to help fund school meal programs for low income children. It stinks that those are their choices, but it's not that they don't care about health.

I agree, it's unfair to say that schools don't care about student health. I can tell you that even in schools with no fast food or a la carte options, all of the apples and vegetables end up in the trash. The school is stuck between throwing money away buying the fruit/vegetables that they know will end up not getting eaten, or getting criticized for not providing any healthy items for students because they used the fruit/veggie money to provide pizza and chicken nuggets.
  • Macy9336
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

Fair point. I felt that they don't because they justified their school menu based on dollars and cents...not a peep about kids health. So to me the omission equaled apathy. But yeah, fair point that that is purely an opinion on my part.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

It was a thing when I was in high school in 2000 as well. Dominos pizza was available on a daily basis, as an optional upcharge item on school lunches. That was almost 20 years ago, and I lived in a podunk town, so I doubt it's but so uncommon.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    No. It is not the job of government to use taxation to manipulate behavior.
    Where does it end? Taxing people for not having a gym membership? A tax for not using the gym enough?
    The government is wrong nearly all the time when it decides what we should be eating.
    The creation of the food pyramid led to an increase in obesity.

Overeating and not enough movement by much of the population led to an increase in obesity, not some drawing in a pamphlet.

In the US, the tax system manipulates all sorts of behaviors. Mortgage interest deduction, child care credits, credits for dependent children, credits for energy system investments by homeowners, deductions for educational expenses, charitable contributions, retirement funding, etc, etc. If anyone gets any of these, I'm guessing they are in favor of using taxation to manipulate that particular behavior.

just because they are already doing a whole host of things that make no sense and manipulative does not make it right, and does not mean that they even have the authority to do it in the first place.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

It was a thing when I was in high school in 2000 as well. Dominos pizza was available on a daily basis, as an optional upcharge item on school lunches. That was almost 20 years ago, and I lived in a podunk town, so I doubt it's but so uncommon.

I feel cheated now! :p That definitely wasn't the norm in the area where I attended school or taught.
  • Macy9336
    Options
    I'm not so sure the schools are making what they advertise....this may be an isolated case but a student did an undercover documentary about his pathetic school lunches where he compares the meal advertised on the menu with video footage of what he was served. It's a real eye opener.
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2015/06/27/school-lunch-program.aspx.

It's worth watching as it mirrors the complaints my kids had about the food at school...how it didn't even resemble what was on the menu.

Just wanted to add, this documentary is about the "healthy lunches" that were in this kids NYC school. Looking at them, I found it really hard to see them as healthy.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I am normally a libertarian, but sugar is not any sort of essential nutrient and it is definitely addictive and abused which causes societal costs that we all bear. Alcohol and cigarettes are similar in that vane. I wouldn't be opposed to taxing sugar or HFCS.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    bpotts44 wrote: »
    I am normally a libertarian, but sugar is not any sort of essential nutrient and it is definitely addictive and abused which causes societal costs that we all bear. Alcohol and cigarettes are similar in that vane. I wouldn't be opposed to taxing sugar or HFCS.

sugar has never been found to be an addictive substance, never.

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options

So...why exactly does society bear this cost to begin with? This is anti-libertarian.
  • Macy9336
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

That's not true. Sugar has been found to be highly addictive in multiple studies. In brain scans it was shown to be as addictive as cocaine.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/13/sugar-addiction-like-drug-abuse-study-reveals/
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

That's not true. Sugar has been found to be highly addictive in multiple studies. In brain scans it was shown to be as addictive as cocaine.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/13/sugar-addiction-like-drug-abuse-study-reveals/

That article doesn't contain the conclusion that sugar is as "addictive as cocaine." Did you mean to post another link?

• ndj1979
    Options

Please find me a study on humans that has conclusive evidence that sugar is addictive.

and you get the same reaction in your brain to petting puppies as you do to sugar, so does that mean that petting puppies is addictive as cocaine.