Replies

• katiedoo82
    katiedoo82 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Right there with you
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    See, the right medication has made all the difference to me. I can't control my physiologically based real illness entirely through diet and exercise. I require some help rebalancing my brain chemistry. I've been miserably depressed while being at my lowest adult weight.

Medication is also challenging. The first few weeks are worse, not better. The side effects can be pretty problematic long term. I'm still trying to find the ideal dose to get the most benefits for the least inconvenience. It's even on the list of things that influenced my weight gain this time around (but obviously, I still think it was worth it).

Still, exercise helps my anxiety and gives me some general mental health benefits. And eating like crap makes me feel like crap, long term. Self-care in the form of healthy diet and exercise is helpful, but it's not enough for me. I'm not sure it ever will be, and I don't even think my goal is to get off medication. Medication is amazing, properly applied. My illness is not going to be solved in a therapist's office - she's the one who said "Um, I think it's time for you to talk to your doctor."
  • healthypelican
    healthypelican Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I have Bipolar. I would like to not be tired all the time.
  • TreesOfYavanna
    TreesOfYavanna Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    I feel like I'm one of the few people who get no relief from depression via exercise, eating healthier, and weight loss. If it works for you that's great.

I didn't either. I was working out every day and I just became more and more depressed. I was also spending longer and longer in the bathroom.

Finally my husband begged me to see my doctor. I went on antidepressants, which helped, but I was also diagnosed with celiac disease, which was something of a surprise.

Three and a half years later, I am off the antidepressants and feeling much better, but I fell off the workout wagon and got fat because, well, my body wasn't starving anymore, I wasn't exercising regularly, and my eating habits were terrible (other than staying gluten free). So now I am fixing that.

tl;dr it is possible for your depression to be caused by a different physical disease. If you're suffering from depression, see your doctor!

I had a bad time when I was on antidepressants, mostly my family being nobs and the one med I was on just made me sleep less and less (sure, a human can get by on an hour of sleep a day). Drugs would probably help me not have my depressive bouts (and the bad shizzle that happens during), but I don't feel up to dealing with the slog of talking to counselors/therapists who don't care and playing the Which Medication Will Work game.

Mine is my brain chemistry is fudged, nothing more.

Yeah, I definitely got lucky with the diagnosis and with the very first antidepressant I was given, a very low dose of Prozac which worked immediately and well. But I'm very aware that for many people, they have to try lots of different medications to find the right one. Some folks never do, sadly. There's just so much we still don't understand about the human body, especially the brain.
  • winejunky143
    winejunky143 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I have never been able to figure out which comes first, the depression and anxiety or the weight. Am I obese because I am depressed and anxious or am I anxious and depressed because I am obese? I am currently the heaviest I have ever been and also feel the worst I have ever felt. I know I feel better when I am exercising and eating well but I feel that my mental state often makes that hard to do.

I feel like for me I have depression and anxiety because of my size. I don't even know what to believe anymore about it though. My boyfriend tells me I need to start eating more and stop starving myself because I'm too skinny, (which I am not starving myself at all), my parents say I'm looking better and a healthy weight but when I look in the mirror and at pictures of myself I'm overcome with self-loathing for how I look.. I don't know who to believe.
  • runningkel
    runningkel Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I started running to help with my depression/anxiety and it helped tremendously. I'm not advocating you have to run, but I am a huge advocate of moving more and sweating to help your depression. Having an outlet to drain the negative juju and bring some endorphins to the surface is key for me. I feel empowered and it gives me something that I have TOTAL control over, and when I take that control and stick with it, I feel better and my depression/anxiety lessens. That's not to say I'm 100% happy all the time, but the activity helps me. When I miss a few days or get off schedule, I notice a marked difference in my mood and mental well being.

I also feel that getting yourself a kick-*kitten* (or relaxing, if that's your thing) playlist while you're walking, running, dancing, whatever, is a necessity!

Hang in there!!
  • jlscherme
    jlscherme Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I started a new med recently, after a long line of med tries. I'm starting to feel better and doing a bit of exercise. I feel so much better after getting moving.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I have never been able to figure out which comes first, the depression and anxiety or the weight. Am I obese because I am depressed and anxious or am I anxious and depressed because I am obese? I am currently the heaviest I have ever been and also feel the worst I have ever felt. I know I feel better when I am exercising and eating well but I feel that my mental state often makes that hard to do.

I feel like for me I have depression and anxiety because of my size. I don't even know what to believe anymore about it though. My boyfriend tells me I need to start eating more and stop starving myself because I'm too skinny, (which I am not starving myself at all), my parents say I'm looking better and a healthy weight but when I look in the mirror and at pictures of myself I'm overcome with self-loathing for how I look.. I don't know who to believe.
    Self-loathing isn't something that will get fixed by losing more weight. That is your depression talking, and depression lies.

Take care of yourself.
  • tabletop_joe
    tabletop_joe Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I have to really watch myself when I lose weight. Because I get really into it and I conflate self esteem with what is actually probably mania. Once I hit my goal weight or just feel relief from being fat for a while, my baseline mood re-establishes itself. Because depression lies. It tells me I'm better when I'm not, and then it comes from behind and cuts me off at the knees. Beware, losing can help but a long term plan the integrates weight loss and depression management is better.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I have noticed my depression has gotten worse since I have had my injury and gained weight. It's much more under control when I'm working out and eating healthy - not 100% resolved by any means but manageable. Requested to follow you on IG - Blonde_Fit_Life
  • Lizzypb88
    Lizzypb88 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I have depression and anxiety, it's always been a battle, and I totally have noticed an improvement in my stress etc since dieting and exercising- sorry- lifestyle change! Lol but now my hormones are out of wack from such a change in my diet and eating better that I get randomly upset :-( damn our bodies!
  • emmagrace0818
    emmagrace0818 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    jlscherme wrote: »
    I started a new med recently, after a long line of med tries. I'm starting to feel better and doing a bit of exercise. I feel so much better after getting moving.

It took me 4 different meds and almost 3 years to find the right medication for me.. Depression is a horrible thing and difficult to climb out of!
  • emmagrace0818
    Options
    I feel like I'm one of the few people who get no relief from depression via exercise, eating healthier, and weight loss. If it works for you that's great.

I didn't either. I was working out every day and I just became more and more depressed. I was also spending longer and longer in the bathroom.

Finally my husband begged me to see my doctor. I went on antidepressants, which helped, but I was also diagnosed with celiac disease, which was something of a surprise.

Three and a half years later, I am off the antidepressants and feeling much better, but I fell off the workout wagon and got fat because, well, my body wasn't starving anymore, I wasn't exercising regularly, and my eating habits were terrible (other than staying gluten free). So now I am fixing that.

tl;dr it is possible for your depression to be caused by a different physical disease. If you're suffering from depression, see your doctor!

I had a bad time when I was on antidepressants, mostly my family being nobs and the one med I was on just made me sleep less and less (sure, a human can get by on an hour of sleep a day). Drugs would probably help me not have my depressive bouts (and the bad shizzle that happens during), but I don't feel up to dealing with the slog of talking to counselors/therapists who don't care and playing the Which Medication Will Work game.

Yeah, I definitely got lucky with the diagnosis and with the very first antidepressant I was given, a very low dose of Prozac which worked immediately and well. But I'm very aware that for many people, they have to try lots of different medications to find the right one. Some folks never do, sadly. There's just so much we still don't understand about the human body, especially the brain.

It took me 4 different meds and 3 years to find the right medication for me.. I'm so happy for you that you found the right one!
  • emmagrace0818
    Options
    I have Bipolar. I would like to not be tired all the time.

I have severe depressive disorder and was tired All. The. Time. I understand how frustrating it is. And hate when people would just say "well get some exercise in and you'll feel better" um don't you think of it was that easy I would be doing just that! Hang in there, things will get better
  • emmagrace0818
    Options

It took me 4 medications and 3 years to find the right med for me.. It was hell but in the end I feel so lucky to have found one that works for me!
  • emmagrace0818
    Options

Another vote for exercise and eating healthy. I often have to force myself to start exercising, but am fine once I start, and am always glad to have done it.[/quote]

That's exactly how I am! I can't wait until I can "look forward" to working out haha
  • emmagrace0818
    Options

I am in the exact same situation! I gained all my weight due to the depression but I know being the heaviest I've ever been is making it hard to push through it
  • pooey718
    pooey718 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm on anti depressants, beta blockers and the start of the menopause. I get soooo tired I've started pilates, core class and boxercise. It's helped me a lot. I started in October. The thing I have to get my head round is that I'm doing it to help me not to lose weight.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options

This makes me so sad! You are so beautiful, and have every reason to think so! Very few of us, even at our best weight, think we look good. We want a certain kind of perfection, but instead we focus on body parts here and there that are unique, not "ideal." You are fortunate to have people in your life who care about you! Please start saying nice things to yourself instead of hurtful things!
  • Tryin2BeNew
    Tryin2BeNew Posts: 31 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Charity to check out if interested in handwritten letter
    Letters Against Depression website lettersagainst.org
    It's tailored to reply to whichever issue you'd like to mention. Just a thought, hope that helps.
    Hold
    On
    Pain
    Ends
    HOPE