Question for long distance runners! (From a newbie)

Options
Hello,

I am training for my first 1/2 marathon and 25k. I'm up to 11 miles, which is great, but I am now running across a problem in which I need advice.

After my long distance runs, I feel crazy hungry/dehydrated. I can solve the dehydration no problem, but I can't solve the hunger. I end up going crazy the next 2 days with food, going over my calorie goals, etc. Shorter runs, I usually feel fine after a meal and I can get back at it but these longs runs, nothing satisfies!

Have you all experienced this? What solutions have you come up with to fight this issue? I would love to hear different options from experienced distance runners that I can test out for myself over the next few weeks.

Thank you!
Sarita (newbie long distance runner)

Replies

• AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Yes, I get the "runger" after long runs. Are you bringing water with you on your long runs? I usually wear a running belt with two small water bottles filled with diluted sport drink. The sugar and electrolytes help prevent that after run dehydrated/shaky feeling.

I also bank a few extra calories in during the week for my after long run hunger pangs. Eating a bunch of small snacks every few hours instead of big meals also seems to help a little. Make sure you eat all your exercise calories back on these days. :)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Are you eating anything at all during the run? I usually do a Gu pack on any run longer than 90 minutes and I find it helps me feel better after the run.

Are you eating back the calories you're burning from exercise?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    How large a deficit do you currently have?
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I wish I knew a trick other than self control. I'm also super hungry, especially the day after a long run. I often hear, "Oh you're a long distance runner...you can eat whatever you want!." I wish, but I certainly can't if I want to maintain my weight!! (However, my 6'3" younger brother apparently can eat whatever he wants. He's a runner too, but he has an incredible metabolism and can eat so much more. My marathon time was faster than his though so maybe that's worth something...Lol!)

I just finished my 1st marathon, and I thought I'd be losing weight like crazy as I got into the longer runs. I pretty much fluctuated between my goal weight to +3 lbs though.

I did try to make sure I didn't eat back all my calories on my long run day so if I go over the next day, it's not going to hurt anything. Also, drinking lots of water helps. When I get at least 64 oz a day, I find that helps.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    you may need to start fueling during your runs - if I get to about an hour - I look for carbs - you can go something like Gu or Gummy Bears - I use liquid nutrition (Tailwind) for longer runs
  • WhitneyDurham777
    WhitneyDurham777 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    This is kind of interesting. Right after I run often I feel less hungry. Sometimes when I feel really strong hunger pains I will run to help control them. I guess you are however saying that it is controlling hunger next day that gets you. It is interesting to me about gaining weight when training for a marathon. From what I have seen this is almost always the case unless you really watch things. The truth is you are not going to feel good a lot of the time if you are trying to lose weight and building mileage. One thing that was interesting for me was I was dieting really hard before a big event a few years back and feeling terrible. My training runs were horrible. The week before the event. I switched back to more a maintenance diet. My body bounced back immediately and I was able to get a PR.
  • abdulsaif
    abdulsaif Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm also a new to running long distances used to compete in short runs and sprints. But few months back I started to increase mileage. I run my first 10k in January 2017. Now training for same goal half marathon in January 2018. I used to have same problem, I get over it by eating in a calorie surplus to my normal calories in the days I go for longs runs. I also eat lots of fruits before I run and eat one big meal after I run. Drinking water and consuming gels while running will help but to be honest I don't use gels.

Good luck figuring out how to overcome this issue, but the important thing is experimenting and seeing how your body behaves.
  • SaritaWolf
    SaritaWolf Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have a belt for water so I am good with that. So far I have been carrying cliff bars with me on the longer runs to eat during the run. I may try something else that provides sugar quicker to my body.

I have been eating about 1400 calories a day, sometimes less on days that I am not working out too much. I normally do not eat calories back for exercise, but I was wondering if I should start on those longer run days.

Did any of you find eating more protein or more carbs helpful in the first 24 hours after?
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    SaritaWolf wrote: »
    I have a belt for water so I am good with that. So far I have been carrying cliff bars with me on the longer runs to eat during the run. I may try something else that provides sugar quicker to my body.

I have been eating about 1400 calories a day, sometimes less on days that I am not working out too much. I normally do not eat calories back for exercise, but I was wondering if I should start on those longer run days.

Did any of you find eating more protein or more carbs helpful in the first 24 hours after?

Unless you're really small and old and sedentary you're on a massive deficit. Eat more!
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    If you are training for a half marathon you need to eat more. I'd suggest eating at maintenance calories until after your race. You need to fuel those long runs- I found sweets like fruit pastilles worked well when I trained for a marathon- eat early and regularly during the run to keep your energy up. Good luck with your training.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I have been eating about 1400 calories a day, sometimes less on days that I am not working out too much. I normally do not eat calories back for exercise...

Eat more, it really is that simple.

Personally I can burn 1200-1400 calories on a 10-11 mile trail run. You're unlikely to match that but it should give you an appreciation of how much you're damaging your progress by not adequately fueling.
  • SaritaWolf
    SaritaWolf Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    @MeanderingMammal @_runnerbean_ @TavistockToad

What about losing weight? I am about 10 lbs away from a healthy BMI. Before I started training, I was eating only at 1200. I increased it to 1400 for the purpose of training. I would still like to lose that 10lbs before the race.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    It's your health, and as you observe it's damaging your performance.

Your running calorie expenditure is 0.6*bodyweight in lbs per mile. Eat them back and aim for a low deficit.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    If you're not eating any exercise calories back and you're running more than a couple of miles, your net calorie intake is going to be less than 1200. I highly recommend eating at least some exercise calories back. Yes, you will still lose weight if you do this.

I am just under 5 feet tall. I have been eating a baseline 1200 calories/day plus exercise calories for the past 2+ years. I've gone from C25K to training for and completing two half marathons, and am currently training for a third. And I've lost 95 pounds in that time, putting me at 5 pounds from my goal. I could not have done that if I hadn't eaten back at least a large proportion of calories I burned while running. My body wouldn't have gotten enough nutrients to recover properly from my training.

If you don't like Gu, there are other options--I like Clif Blocks or similar products, but I've also fueled with raisins. I wouldn't recommend Clif Bars during a run because they take longer to digest, and during a run you just want a quick boost of sugar. Clif Bars are better before or after your workout.

Track your exercise calories accurately, eat enough of them back, fuel your runs properly. You'll feel a lot better.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

What about losing weight? I am about 10 lbs away from a healthy BMI. Before I started training, I was eating only at 1200. I increased it to 1400 for the purpose of training. I would still like to lose that 10lbs before the race.

Training for my first half marathon I gained 2lbs. Couldn't run on a deficit, got too rungry.

This time around I am on a teeny deficit of 200 cals per day as I would like to lose a couple of pounds but don't want my running performance to be affected, and I hate being hungry.
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options

You won't make race day at all if you don't train properly - and that means eating enough food. You need to decide your priorities- do you want to be healthy and run the half marathon or do you want to lose weight (and probably be sick or injured come race day).
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    10 miles is pretty much my limit (on road, less than that on trail) without some food - I need to grab something quick immediately after a 10 mile run or else I'm a bit light-headed for the rest of the night. Longer than that, I definitely bring some fruit snacks or Clif bloks along with.

And hell yes, definitely eat those exercise calories back. A 10-11 mile run is ~900 calories burned...you definitely want to eat WAY WAY more than 1400 calories total on a long run day.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    It's also really important that you fuel yourself properly to help your muscles repair after training (you need Carbs AND Protein, not just Protein) and nutritious foods to help prevent injury. I recently went on a low carb, low calorie binge to lose weight before a race, I can't tell you how much of a difference I noticed being under-fuelled vs eating at maintenance with 60% calories from carbs and 20% from P&F equally.

After I finish long runs I generally feel pretty sicky but try to make myself glug down a recovery shake all the same.

Like you though it is the next day that I'm then REALLY hungry (which is a bit of a headache for MFP since it works calories out per day). The only recommendations I have are to try and choose nutritious whole foods that fill you up as opposed to calorie dense non-satiating foods. E.g have scrambled egg on wholemeal toast rather than a fruit smoothie for the same calories. I have found a big breakfast bowl of Fruit n Fibre with skimmed milk meets my macro needs well and starts to fill up the massive hole that's opened up in my tummy overnight ;-)
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,692 Member
    Options
    Eat back most, if not all, of your exercise calories. Now is not the time to have a big deficit because you won't have the energy you need to train well, plus your body will start using muscle instead of fat for energy. You can go back to serious weight loss after your race. If you aren't hungry immediately after your run, save some calories for the next day, but do eat something. A mixture of carbs for energy replenishment and protein to rebuild your muscles is best, especially if done within an hour of your exercise. (Chocolate milk works for many, or a sandwich.)

For me, the big problem with weight gain when training comes on rest days and during taper and the days immediately after the race, when I'm running less but eating the same. That's when you want to exert some self-control. For the rest, I'm one who eats to hunger, so if I run hard, I'll eat more.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I’m also training for my first half, and about 10lbs away from goal as a 5’ shortie.

But I care more about getting to the end of that HM than I do running a big deficit at the moment. And like many others, it’s the day AFTER exercise that I feel the hunger. After a run? Nah, not that interested (unless it’s fruit, gimme fruit after a run). I work on a daily average to get round the fact that MFP thinks I’m eating over on some days, and I aim to eat ALL of the exercise calories that my fitbit and/or tomtom gives me.

I do run a very small deficit, but we’re talking on average 50 calories here. As long as I can fuel my running then I’m fine with that. At this close to goal I’m also a bit more concerned with my physical figure than the number on the scale – I plan to bring in more strength training into my routine for that.

Maybe eat more before and during your runs to prevent the runger?