Popcorn ideas

Options
I'm sure this has been asked before but how do you switch up your popcorn?

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I like using a microwave popping bowl with a little bit of oil. That adds just enough moisture for the toppings to stick. I like Kernel Seasons popcorn topping, but I've tweaked a couple of the "bland" ones - For Kettle Corn I added cinnamon (cocoa would be good too). For Nacho I added chili powder.

Wal-Mart carries these, but not this many flavors.....http://www.kernelseasons.com/

Tons of ideas on line: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/articles/50-flavored-popcorn-recipes
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Garlic salt and Parmesan is my current favorite - made in my microwave popper with no oil or butter.
  • ImKaren768
    ImKaren768 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks! Those Kernel Seasonings look great!
  • CranstonJ2016
    CranstonJ2016 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
  • jbirdgreen
    jbirdgreen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    My favorite is actually a little nooch, cumin and salt.

Chili lime! Chili powder, light cayenne, light spritz of lime.
  • jodi2672
    jodi2672 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I put in air popper and use the spray butter or the spray olive oil with Parmesan is yummy
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,987 Member
    Options
    Soooo good....
    ynica8pan6x2.jpg
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Is there a way to pop "naked" popcorn with what I (probably) have in my kitchen? Or would I need to get a thing? Like the idea of making my own, in an appropriate serving. Garlic salt and parm sounds so yummy.
  • ekim2016
    ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I eat the Brims popcorn from dollar store. 3 cups = 170 calories. Very tasty for a premade popcorn.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    lilawolf wrote: »
    Is there a way to pop "naked" popcorn with what I (probably) have in my kitchen? Or would I need to get a thing? Like the idea of making my own, in an appropriate serving. Garlic salt and parm sounds so yummy.

I've done it on the stove top in a pot, with about a TBSP of oil. You heat up the oil and put the kernels in and the heat will cause it to pop.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    I like using a microwave popping bowl with a little bit of oil. That adds just enough moisture for the toppings to stick. I like Kernel Seasons popcorn topping, but I've tweaked a couple of the "bland" ones - For Kettle Corn I added cinnamon (cocoa would be good too). For Nacho I added chili powder.

Wal-Mart carries these, but not this many flavors.....http://www.kernelseasons.com/

Tons of ideas on line: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/articles/50-flavored-popcorn-recipes

I've also done pumpkin pie spice and PB2 with the kettle corn seasoning. Instead of buying it, I just refill the shaker with superfine sugar and some salt.

I'll have to try the chili powder with the nacho, that's a good idea.
  • travelgirl77
    travelgirl77 Posts: 99 Member
    Options

I pop mine in a brown paper bag (those little lunch bags) with nothing added, just the kernels. It works great and is inexpensive!
  • rdmitch
    rdmitch Posts: 278 Member
    Options

I pop mine in a brown paper bag (those little lunch bags) with nothing added, just the kernels. It works great and is inexpensive!

Exactly, after it pops and as your pouring it from the bag, give it a quick spray of Pam or similar butter flavored cooking spray. It adds some flavor, and gives it a bit of tackiness so salt or flavored seasonings will stick better.
    I think I may try the garlic salt next, that sounds great to me.

When using the paper bag, you,will get lots of unpopped kernels, but who really cares ?
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Chipotle sauce and nutrtional yeast.
  • buffalogal42
    buffalogal42 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I love to toss some air popped corn with some Frank's RedHot hot sauce.
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I love mine with olive oil, soy sauce and nutritional yeast... sounds weird but it's amazing!
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Since discovering cumin salt I really like it on popcorn. I also use a combination of garlic and onion flakes, parmesean cheese and/or nutritional yeast or shredded hard cheddar. Of course butter, but if I'm out I'll use olive oil. I think I'd like to try coconut oil next time and maybe some shredded coconut to go with it. Sounds like a plan.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I like nutritional yeast and Penzeys mural of flavor.