Crying in the changing rooms

Options

Replies

• nukebhs83
    nukebhs83 Posts: 158
    Options
    i posted a reply but it was actually on the home page---duh---guess i am in vacation mode already. :laugh:
  • Kagard11
    Kagard11 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have found myself crying in dressing rooms, and bathrooms at parties, behind the skating rink as a teen because I just knew I would NEVER have a boy want to skate with fat me! You know, I was wrong and lost weight, got married, had kids..... It's because of that that I'm now able to as an adult lose this weight that I have putonghua from having kids and bad habits in the last 10 years! I'm with this guy!

Don't cry. :) Take all that sadness or frustration and turn it into motivation. You say you looked hideous in everything, but somehow I doubt that. Just keep positive, and try something else. If, for now, you need to get something different, then understand that it is temporary, and with the hard work you'll put in, you'll feel better about everything in the long run. :D I hope my words make sense, and it helps you feel a little better. :)
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Ladies and Gentlemen,

As a forum moderator, I try to take the least invasive route to solving MFP forum problems. In this case, I have edited and deleted a few posts that were clearly attacks (some unprovoked, some retaliatory). For reference I am going to cite the specific forum rule that gives me this option. Please make sure to read over all the rules. I have also linked the forum rules to the bottom of this post.

"4) Do not attack/slam/insult other users. The forums are here so that members can help support one another. Attacks or insults against each other takes away from the supportive atmosphere and will not be tolerated. You can discuss the message or topic, but not the messenger - NO EXCEPTIONS. If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, YOU will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself, defending a friend, etc. are NOT excuses. Violations of this rule are taken very seriously and may result in being banned without warning! If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."

Please remember, if you find a post in violation of the rules, please report it, DO NOT RESPOND to that violation.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/14924-forum-rules-please-read-before-posting
  • rae125
    rae125 Posts: 25
    Options
    *** moderator edited (see my reply above) -SHBoss1673***

I'm usually a size 8/10 in dresses but I had to buy a size 14/16 because of.... my neck! After I was done crying over the size of the dress (why do those stupid, stupid numbers mean so much?!) I had to start laughing at myself for (a) crying in the dressing room of David's Bridal, (b) my apparently fat neck, lol, and (c) giving those stupid, meaningless numbers such power over MY day and MY mood.

Dresses are complicated. They're the only article of clothing expected to fit every inch of your body perfectly. What on earth are the odds of THAT happening?!? When you go shopping bring the size you think you are, one size up, and one size down into the dressing room. Analyze the dress as to WHY it looks bad. Cut? Style? Shape? Accentuates body features that you're not a fan of?

That said, also remember that a size 8 twenty years ago was a size 14. Companies are changing the sizes on the tags because they think that a woman is more likely to buy a size 8 over a size 10 even if it's the exact same dress (sadly, they're probably true). The higher end stores do it more than the lower end stores but everyone does it. :grumble:
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    YES. That was on my "reasons to get to goal weight" list from the beginning: No more crying in dressing rooms.

I can 100% relate. Use that as motivation to get where you want to get! Every time that you think about straying from your healthy lifestyle, remember that you want to enjoy clothes shopping, and that you hate crying in the dressing rooms.

YOU CAN DO THIS.

Now go have an amazing day of fun!

P.S. I cannot tell you how amazing it is to finally enjoy shopping for the first time ever.
  • jewelzz
    jewelzz Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Alot of us have had this issue,its a horrible feeling and you wonder why you even continue on.however you do and you pick yourself up after a good cry and move on.weightloss is tough and it hurts sometimes but your moving in the right direction and thats what counts.believe in yourself and believe in the process
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I cry when I'm angry. I hate that about myself, but since I've never had to go to the ER for a broken finger from punching a wall or broken toe for kicking a car like my brothers have... all in all, I think crying is a pretty smart way to deal with frustrations. :smile:

And... yeah. I've totally been there. I've gotten STUCK inside clothes in the dressing room. Overheated, just a little sweaty, with my arms in the air and a blouse or dress stuck on my shoulders. Then panicking because you're picturing the scene: Somehow managing to unlock the door and having to go find a sales girl with my undies wedged in my bum, arms over my head, and a dress covering my head and shoulders, stumbling around like Mr. Bean with a turkey on his head.

Mercifully, I'm a bit double-jointed and I've always been able to dislocate my shoulders just enough to wiggle out of the dress and predicament.

It gets better. Soon you'll be crying in the dressing room because that size you never thought would fit slides right on and zips easily.
  • CookieGem
    CookieGem Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    First things first, thank you wonderful people for taking the time to reply to my post. After reading all of them ive made a big jump. I have an appointment with a Personal Trainer tonight and if it hadnt had been for "changing room gate" and your comments i wouldnt have had the guts to pick up the phone and make the call.

Not to sound too cheesy but you are all amazing x
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Don't cry. :) Take all that sadness or frustration and turn it into motivation.

This! :)
  • tireetje
    tireetje Posts: 49
    Options
    I know the exact feeling!!! i HATE those days! I end up going home and not having bought anything!!
    Just keep your spirits up and make these events make you more determined to lose the weight!
  • wonrob
    wonrob Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    That hasn't happened to me, but I've had days where I don't want to look at my body (especially those days post-binge).
    Those days just serve as motivation to spur me on to stop bingeing and try to exercise more.
  • GemmieNoWobbles
    GemmieNoWobbles Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    YES!!! All the time! I have really really low self esteem and I'm often in a soggy heap! Just set yourself small realistic goals and you will get there!! Hang on in there! Rome wasnt built in a day I guess, but I absolutely know how you feel. :flowerforyou:
  • autumnridge
    autumnridge Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Oh, yes! Even though I am 90 lbs. lighter than at my worst, I am having a hard time finding an appropriate dress to wear to a September wedding. Due to a pinched nerve several years ago, I went for a year told not to lift more than 5 lbs. and my arms never recovered so I have LOTS of fat wings. All the dresses I have seen in my current size are above the knee which does not look great on an overweight 70 Year Old, or they are flowery or sleeveless. Like me, you will just have to keep on trying. Good luck!
  • autumnridge
    autumnridge Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Oh, yes! Even though I am 90 lbs. lighter than at my worst, I am having a hard time finding an appropriate dress to wear to a September wedding. Due to a pinched nerve several years ago, I went for a year told not to lift more than 5 lbs. and my arms never recovered so I have LOTS of fat wings. All the dresses I have seen in my current size are above the knee which does not look great on an overweight 70 Year Old, or they are flowery or sleeveless. Like me, you will just have to keep on trying. Good luck!
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    Been there done that for the past 10 years!!!
    :( Sorry you feel like this like others said translate that feeling into motivation! If it makes you feel better, I've been wearing the same clothes to work week after week for the past year ( that bad) because I have a closet full of clothes that do not fit me :/
    but I am doing something about it now and so can you! Keep your chin up!
  • NeedANewFocus
    NeedANewFocus Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    "It takes time, love, and support to find peace with the restless one." -- Deidra Sarault

Remind yourself of your successes and harbor your will for on going worthwhile goals. You're beautiful. Don't let the "mirror mirrow on the wall" fool you. See what's really there A gorgeous woman with life and vitality. You're on a road for great things! :flowerforyou:
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Oh god, yes, dear. You're not alone! I've sobbed in many a fitting room. I have the problem of a small waist but very large hips and rear, and I am forever not able to find pants that go up over my bum without the front looking like a pack of hot dogs. I don't know what to tell you, but you're going to London so cheer up! I love it there. My husband is from England and I get so excited anytime we visit. You will have a gorgeous time and you won't be thinking about your figure, trust me! Also: do some shopping over there -- I find the clothing more flattering at times.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I even cried while on my walk yesterday
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Ladies and Gentlemen,

As a forum moderator, I try to take the least invasive route to solving MFP forum problems. In this case, I have edited and deleted a few posts that were clearly attacks (some unprovoked, some retaliatory). For reference I am going to cite the specific forum rule that gives me this option. Please make sure to read over all the rules. I have also linked the forum rules to the bottom of this post.

"4) Do not attack/slam/insult other users. The forums are here so that members can help support one another. Attacks or insults against each other takes away from the supportive atmosphere and will not be tolerated. You can discuss the message or topic, but not the messenger - NO EXCEPTIONS. If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, YOU will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself, defending a friend, etc. are NOT excuses. Violations of this rule are taken very seriously and may result in being banned without warning! If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."

Please remember, if you find a post in violation of the rules, please report it, DO NOT RESPOND to that violation.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/14924-forum-rules-please-read-before-posting

what kind of *kitten* would attack someone that obviously had a meltdown yesterday? don't you think that person should get more than just a deleted post? how about kicking some serious @ssholes off the site for a change? there's one dude, that has a rude comment or vicious come-backs in every post, how many times are you going to let him do that? time to step up and start giving 2 warnings and then the boot...
  • mlh612
    mlh612 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    absolutely has happened...plus those damn mirrors from every angle...ugh...stay strong..lord knows its not easy but you are not alone! :)

Agree, those mirrors do not help matters!!

Yes, I have been there... Definitely use it as motivation!!! Hang in there :flowerforyou: