What to do with meat fat trimmings?

I'm a big believer in using every part of an animal if it's killed for food. In the past I would have just enjoyed the fat (mainly pork fats as crackling) but I'm now trimming the fats off of foods to save the temptation. Now Vegetable trimmings I use to make stock for gravys and soups.. But meat fat? What can I use that for? Bird feeders would be cruel as I have cats. Any ideas of good uses for it?

Replies

• robthephotog
    robthephotog Posts: 81 Member
    If you aren't eating it, then there's not a whole lot you can realistically do with it.

Others may have some primal use but beyond a torch, coating a lasso band, or priming leather I dunno non nutrition based uses lol.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    You eat it!

Fat is so good for you. Enjoying food is so good for you. Eating up your food is so good for the environment and your wallet.
  • kkrober25
    kkrober25 Posts: 16 Member
    Feed it to your cat.
  • slytherinlass90
    slytherinlass90 Posts: 51 Member
    You eat it!

Fat is so good for you. Enjoying food is so good for you. Eating up your food is so good for the environment and your wallet.

I'm trying to loose weight and take on less fat
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited March 2017
    You eat it!

Dietary fat does NOT equal body fat. That is a lie from the diet industry, commonly known as "woo." Your body needs dietary fat! And protein! And carbs! None of those three macro-nutrients are evil or bad for you.

It about how many calories you eat. You need to eat fewer calories in a day than your body uses to lose weight.

ETA: The charred fat on my steak? My favorite part! YUM!
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Make the cracklings and eat them on a salad. Save your bacon grease and make a delicious hot dressing for a big bed of spinach or romaine. Just make sure to carefully weight everything and fit them into your daily calories.
  • slytherinlass90
    kkrober25 wrote: »
    Feed it to your cat.

I thorght of that just after I posted that lol It's cooked up for them now but I'm still interested in what others do with it.
  • quiksylver296
    kkrober25 wrote: »
    Feed it to your cat.

I thorght of that just after I posted that lol It's cooked up for them now but I'm still interested in what others do with it.

Eat it.
  • slytherinlass90
    You eat it!

Dietary fat does NOT equal body fat. That is a lie from the diet industry, commonly known as "woo." Your body needs dietary fat! And protein! And carbs! None of those three macro-nutrients are evil or bad for you.

It about how many calories you eat. You need to eat fewer calories in a day than your body uses to lose weight.

It's my favourite part too. I will still have it occasionally on special occasions but over all trying to lower it all and Carbs to try manage my diabetes
  • quiksylver296
    You eat it!

It's my favourite part too. I will still have it occasionally on special occasions but over all trying to lower it all and Carbs to try manage my diabetes

Sounds good. For a minute there, I thought you were on the Susan Powter train.

75xw40pk1dya.jpg
  • slytherinlass90

Sounds good. For a minute there, I thought you were on the Susan Powter train.

I've no idea who she is but on a quick look at her she looks interesting Kinda reminds me of Annie Lennox which makes me want to know more about her
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    You could put the raw fat trimmings in the freezer until you have a decent quantity then render it and use it in recipes where you need fat to cook with. That's what my mum used to do (without the freezer but, we didn't have one then).
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    I used to eat it as long as it wasn't that grissely stuff, lol :D or give it to my husband. I'm not much of a red meat eater anymore.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    I like to render it down in a pan and save the oil for cooking. For example, I made bacon last week, and then saved the grease to make cornbread the next day. I save money by not having to buy coconut oil and butter as often, too!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    I'm a save and render girl.
    (Also save my veg scraps for a constant stock pot.)

I stash beef and lamb fat (from steaks and chops) in the freezer then either drape it over a lean roast for flavour, or render it down for frying up veg for soups and stews, or for Yorkshire puddings.
    Bread fried in lamb fat until crispy is delicious.

My bacon fat is usually donated to the frying pan for mushrooms. There is something about that combination I love.

Oh,if I am doing bacon and eggs the eggs have to be fried in deep bacon fat.

Goose fat or beef lard for the best home made chips (French fries) and savoury pastry.

It is a good job fat does not make one fat B)

Cheers, h.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    I have a happy dog and a pair of very happy cats.

My digestion doesn't like too much fat in one go, so fatty cuts of meat have become a rarity for me and when they do have fat, I trim it and feed it to the monster trio.

It does make me sad as it's something very very very tasty!