How do you avoid skipping exercises and workout plans?

Options
2»

Replies

• xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I tell myself to change and do 10 minutes. If after 10 minutes, I still don't want to be there, at least I did 10 minutes. Sometimes, I only do 10 minutes, other times, I stay longer. Also, I allow myself 1 cheat day to "not exercise" and go for a walk, or "just" do some very embarrassing dancing in front of the mirror (this isn't my rest day)... I usually don't take it but have if I'm really not feeling changing, driving to the gym, or running.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I primarily cycle...I love to cycle...it's not really an issue. Do something you enjoy doing.
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Just do it.

If you are going to let yourself skip then you are letting your lack of discipline help you rationalize and make poor choices.

In many people that is the reason they are unfit in the first place.
  • SteadyDoinIt281
    SteadyDoinIt281 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    A little background first. I spend two weeks out of the month working out of town and the other two weeks of the month working at my company's home office.

That said, I've made it a point to make exercise and movement a part of my "work" day. What I mean by that is: on the two weeks I'm out of town working, as soon as I get home, I immediately put on my work out clothes and walk to the gym. Then, on the two weeks I'm working from the home office, I exercise during my lunch break. Additionally, I'm sure to plan and grocery shop for a week's worth of meals. One some days, dinner is prepped and just needs to be popped into the oven (while I take a shower). On others, I'm eating those leftovers. Finally, for lunch I typically have a nutrient-dense shake filled with hearty greens, fruit, flax, and protein as well as a small (200-300 calorie) protein, carb, and piece of fruit snack around 3:30 or 4:00p.

Planning, planning, planning. The more thought you put into a schedule (that works for you!), the more the complexity is taken out of your routine, and as such, it becomes simple. Simplicity = success.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    As I get back into exercising, it is replacing food to relieve stress (I have been a stress eater forever). So, the only time I have excuses is when I literally am not around to do an actual workout or I am too sick. However, when I am not around to do an actual workout b/c of my schedule, I still make sure I do exercises at my desk at work and walk around the office a bunch.
  • tinamarie6624
    tinamarie6624 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Mine is quite simple, I just have a no excuses attitude. I don't ask myself if I want to workout because the answer is usually no. I just do it!
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I schedule my workouts like it is somewhere I have to be. Do you go to work for three days then stop?
  • hamsammy67
    hamsammy67 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm all over the suggestion of moving your body in a way that you enjoy. It took me two years of running with my then-boyfriend to realize I actually don't enjoy running (even though I was pretty decent). But I DO love being outside. So I do lots of "functional exercise"...if I have to pick up something from the grocery store, I make that my exercise...4km there and back with great "Rock My Run" playlists spurring me on. Or shovelling snow. Or going on a long-distance snow shoe trek or cross-country ski. None of those activities seem like "going to the gym". Of course I have to occasionally step it up and do some strength training...but I try and do that at home and go to the gym for yoga! :)
  • jnducharme
    jnducharme Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I write mine down on a wall calendar and cross of the days as I go so I have a visual reminder of my progress and I don't want to look at the calendar and see any blank days. I also like following a workout plan made by someone else (currently doing Insanity) so it feels official and I have a coach pushing me every day.
  • JeanieWww
    JeanieWww Posts: 4,037 Member
    Options
    I wrote down WHAT I wanted. After that I wrote a list of WHY I wanted what I wanted. When I don't feel like going and working out, I read over the list and ask myself if I still want those things. The answer is yes. Well, to get those things I know I have to move it, so that helps me get in the right mindset and helps me get up and go.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,894 Member
    Options
    I need to get to work 5 days a week ... my commute is part bus and part walk. If I opt to skip the walking part, I can't get to work. But I need to work ...

Make your exercise part of your daily life.
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    "Discipline always trumps motivation. Motivation is about emotion and too many times, we rely on emotion to raise our performance. Unfortunately, this can quickly wear you down and if you aren't motivated, lead to lackluster or missed training sessions.

Discipline doesn't care how you feel, what the weather is or if you've had a bad day. Discipline will carry the strong. Discipline will drive success. Discipline doesn't need a "hype" video or loud music. Discipline over motivation." -- Jim Wendler

http://www.wisdomination.com/screw-motivation-what-you-need-is-discipline/

If you are trying to "motivate" yourself then you are already in the wrong state of mind for long-term success.
  • Sunnflwer
    Sunnflwer Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    For me I started slow and steady. I find when I set lofty goals they often vanish quicker then I set them so I picked activities I actually like to do and set a daily goal that was manageable...in my case it was 15 minutes on the elliptical and 20 minutes of yoga. I let go the notion that exercise has to always be intense and just focused on moving more and being successful. My goal is to gradually increase my timelines (even if only by 5 mins) weekly and continue to focus on accomplishments vs. Am I sweating enough. I actually feel invested this way vs. Setting lofty goals and feeling a failure resulting in giving in entirely. Working out everyday at the same time has also helped me feel like moving is more natural part of my routine rather then a factor I have to plan and schedule around and can therefore make excuses to avoid.
  • mrarmaan
    mrarmaan Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I can do mistakes but cant quit
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    For me I feel so much better after I workout, I'm to the point where I feel like crap when I don't. When you start to see and feel the results, it makes it a lot easier to keep going I think. It's something you start to look forward to rather than dread.
  • kellyshell215
    kellyshell215 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I normally do exercises I enjoy, even if its like going for a walk or jumping rope for 5 minutes, because chances of not skipping them are lower. Also every week I just write down the possible workouts I want to do that day, knowing that during the week the workout could change accourding my mood or time to workout. This really helps me not skip my workout.
    Also doing the workouts first thing when you wake up can help.

One more thing, stop making excuses to workout, do physical activity you enjoy, surround yourself with people who workout or try to find a workout buddy, here or personally.