B12 Injections

Options
As of yesterday, i started taking weekly b12 injections. I've heard that these aid in weight loss, has anyone done this before? what were your results? how do they work?
they were prescribed by my doctor to treat advanced pernicious anemia, but hey, if there is any added benefits i'm all for that!

Replies

• UCONNCOED
    UCONNCOED Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I did them and I would say that they do not work unless you also incorporate the diet. I saw a slight loss in the begining when I was trying to follow a fairly strict diet that was recomended when taking them... and then I stopped dieting and I did not have anymore weight loss.

I have heard people do see loss but I think you should think of it as a supplement because I was disappointed when it was not a magic solution
  • chrisfnet
    chrisfnet Posts: 83
    Options
    There is no evidence that vitamin B in any form aids in weight loss.
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I know quite a few older people 70's and 80's who take them when their energy levels are really low. I don't know if they have a weight loss benefit. But i know when I take vitamin B I do get more energy.
  • DGSki
    DGSki Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have see people lose weight while taking B12, HCG and following a very very very strict diet, but the weight came back with a vengeance when they stopped all the shots and dieting. I wouldn't count on it for losing weight.
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    One of my friends is taking the B12 injections and doing the doctor-assisted diet at the same time. I think she's pretty gung ho, though, about following the diet.
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    The original poster said
    they were prescribed by my doctor to treat advanced pernicious anemia, but hey, if there is any added benefits i'm all for that!

so she is NOT taking them for weight loss, she was just curious. People against weight loss "magic pills" (Like myself) don't need to get all up in arms about her taking B12.
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Wow, that is pretty serious! A genetic defect that causes vitamin B12 deficiencies is responsible for pernicious anemia, a serious disorder that causes rapid heart rate, shortness of breath, dizziness, weakness, and fatigue. It must be treated with injections of vitamin B12 or very high oral doses to prevent neurological damage.
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I just found out at my physical in May that I am B12 deficient. The dr. told me to start taking oral supplements, but would more than likely have to start injections. Apparently, the tiny, weeny portion of my intestine that aids in the absorption of B12 isn't doing it's job. I have to go back for more lab works next month to find out.
  • ornumc
    ornumc Posts: 23
    Options
    There is another interesting thread on B12 in the forums, that would be good for you to read too.
  • jewelzz
    jewelzz Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I have found that while I am loosing and training that b12 is great for energy.some say it aids in weightloss some say nay.I say it works for me.
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    so she is NOT taking them for weight loss, she was just curious. People against weight loss "magic pills" (Like myself) don't need to get all up in arms about her taking B12.

awww, thank you av!
    Wow, that is pretty serious! A genetic defect that causes vitamin B12 deficiencies is responsible for pernicious anemia, a serious disorder that causes rapid heart rate, shortness of breath, dizziness, weakness, and fatigue. It must be treated with injections of vitamin B12 or very high oral doses to prevent neurological damage.

it is pretty serious. and i have the "luxury" of having every one of those symptoms. can't wait for the injections to start working!
  • MrBrown72
    MrBrown72 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I have b12 melt-aways from GNC that I use now and then when I just can't motivate myself to workout in the morning. They do seem to give more energy without much of a crash. So I suppose indirectly should that energy be used for exercise it may help in weight loss. However so does just working out without them.
  • VendettaMachine84
    VendettaMachine84 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have pernicious anemia as well, and I get injections at least once a month. I did not lose any weight from the injections alone, but they should give you more energy.